2010 Subaru Legacy Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Legacy model:
7 of 22,496 people found this review helpful
Nice Car but burns oil-expensive service
By Daniel on 10/29/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2010 Subaru Legacy Sedan 3.6R Limited 4dr Sedan AWD (3.6L 6cyl 5A)

This is my first Subaru. I have already put 30,000 miles on it in 7 months. It actually surprised me with averaging 28-30 mpg on the highway. Negative is the service-burns about a quart and a half of oil every 4000 miles, dealer said it is normal to burn up to 1 quart per 1K miles. Book says you can change oil every 7000 miles, but you will be out of it. Free service for first 24,000 miles, but only according to book, so I had to pay for the extra oil changes. Service intervals actually are more expensive than the Acura I traded for it. Overall, I like it, but it is costing a lot more money to run than the dealer led me to think when I bought it. I probably won't buy another.

First Subbie
By R A N on 10/28/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2010 Subaru Legacy Sedan 2.5i Premium 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

I went in initially looking to purchase a 2005 Legacy but felt to cramped. Saw the redesigned 2010 & took it for a drive. The space is great, front and rear (coming from a Honda Civic Coupe). Looks great from the front, so-so from the rear. Smooth handling on most surfaces, but stimulus money can only make so many roads perfect. Acceleration is to be expected with a 4cyl AWD vehicle & passing ability is adequate. With 13,500 on the clock I've yet to have any of the pulling/shaking issues described in other reviews. I have experienced the shifting "clunk" sound a couple times, though it is always when parked on an incline. Overall I'm pleased with my purchase & would recommend it to anyone.

My first Subaru
By eric on 10/15/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2010 Subaru Legacy Sedan 2.5i Limited 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

I bought my first Subaru because I wanted a reliable car, good gas mileage, and all wheel drive. I don't really know how reliable it is because I've only had it a year. I got all that with this car except for a clunking noise thats coming from the brakes when you first start the car after its been sitting a while. I step on the brakes and it sounds like the calipers are stiff when they squeeze the brake pads.

Good family car for snow belt
By OmahaNE on 10/02/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2010 Subaru Legacy Sedan 2.5i Limited 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

As the title states, I feel this is one of the best family cars available for folks that have to deal with snow. I look at most other cars in this class and my decision came down to the VW Passat and the Subaru. The Subaru's interior space, quiet ride and predicted reliability won-out. It has been almost a year and 10,000 miles and I am still happy with my decision. Fuel mileage has been great - 25 city and 30+ highway. The car has enough power and I would even say the engine sounds good. The car does require a lot of correction in a crosswind and stepping over the body skirts is annoying. The car is not sporty to drive. For example an Accord is much more nimble.

Watch out A6 and M35's
By Peter on 10/01/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2010 Subaru Legacy Sedan 3.6R Limited 4dr Sedan AWD (3.6L 6cyl 5A)

OK, so I decided that the 50K price point was the limit and I downsized after owning/leasing an A6 and M35.. No regrets (drove the 4cyl..get the 6). A few nits, like no storage net on the back of the driver seat and got the 2011 with the folding mirrors but so far so good- lots of pep in the 260 hp boxer. easily surpass' the 25 mpg level turnpike (dealer did not lie)- 16-18 local,good body features- folding back seats (not on A4 or G35), lumbar ( you need the electric seats the plain seats are not padded enough). Nav system took a few extra reads in the manual to master- if mileage is a worry you can almost get a 3.6L plus a prius to spare for same cost as A6

Pleasant surprise
By JAYRAY on 09/16/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2010 Subaru Legacy Sedan 2.5i Limited 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

I previously owned 3 Nissan Maximas and 1 Nissan Altima since 1999. I liked all of these vehicles. I was in the market for another Altima but the style was the same since 1997. The Maximas were becoming too expensive, so I began shopping for a new brand. My brother put me on to the Legacy. I test drove one and loved it and still love it almost a year later. The 4 cyl. is adequately powered not in the range of the 6 cyl Nissans but it gets you where you want to go. The gas mileage is pretty good for an AWD. I find the car to be very comfortable and roomy. I have had many compliments on the styling. I have no problem saying that I like it as much as the Nissans that I owned.

Chiropractor should be included!
By JR on 09/07/10 09:37 AM (PDT)

2010 Subaru Legacy Sedan 2.5i Limited 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

I have put about 23,000 miles on this vehicle to date. Initially it seemed like a great car for the money. First and foremost, this is the most uncomfortable car I have ever driven. You will not realize this until you drive over 2 hours. I first thought it was me until I had others drive it and agree. I have since bought additional cushions which only slightly help the issue. Temp only adjusts hot or cold. They have replaced this unit multiple times and still not right. Automatic lights flicker on/off when going under an overpass in the middle of the day. Again could not fix! Clunky transmission that will not find a gear and act as if the car is in neutral. Scary in traffic!

Lots of Room and Lots of Fun
By AZWolfpack on 08/27/10 15:05 PM (PDT)

2010 Subaru Legacy Sedan 2.5GT Premium 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I have never owned a Subaru and never thought much about them but I stumbled upon this model after re-reading an older preview in Car and Driver. I went for the test drive and loved the car. There was plenty of room for 3 kids in the back seat and the wife liked everything about the car also. Big trunk, lots of headroom (I'm 6'5"), and fun to drive. It's hard to find a manual transmission these days but this has it and rowing your own is my preference. The car is very quick and there is little noise except from the tires which I can live with (and get some quieter ones when these wear out). Can't go wrong with this car.

10K and all is OK
By Joe-in-MD on 08/27/10 06:17 AM (PDT)

2010 Subaru Legacy Sedan 2.5i Limited 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

We just passed the 10,000 mile mark and I am very satisfied with the Legacy on all counts. Perhaps I'm getting used to the CVT, but the MPG just gets better and better. Drove from MD to Williamsburg, VA and clocked 33 MPG. Averaged 75-85 MPH highway with AC full blast. Would buy another - or perhaps the similar Outback.

Update on bad seats from 4/28/10
By Steve G on 08/15/10 11:45 AM (PDT)

2010 Subaru Legacy Sedan 2.5i Premium 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 4cyl 6M)

I have now had the Legacy for 4 months and about 3000 miles. After $700 spent on 5 trips to an auto upholstery shop for modifications to the driver’s seat, the driver’s seat, while not comfortable, is now tolerable. The adjustable lumbar support works by pushing the foam padding, which is quite rigid, deeper into your back. It is not inflatable as I first thought. I had this seat back foam trimmed and had additional foam in the shape of a wedge and made from softer, less dense foam, added to the seat cushion. I can now drive the car for 2-3 hours without getting a back ache.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2010 Subaru Legacy Sedan in VA is:

$135 per month*