2010 Subaru Legacy 3.6R Limited Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2010 Subaru Legacy - Consumer Reviews

2010 Legacy Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Legacy model:

Sort Reviews by

Nice Car but burns oil-expensive service
7 of 58,947 people found this review helpful
By Daniel

2010 Subaru Legacy Sedan 3.6R Limited 4dr Sedan AWD (3.6L 6cyl 5A)

This is my first Subaru. I have already put 30,000 miles on it in 7 months. It actually surprised me with averaging 28-30 mpg on the highway. Negative is the service-burns about a quart and a half of oil every 4000 miles, dealer said it is normal to burn up to 1 quart per 1K miles. Book says you can change oil every 7000 miles, but you will be out of it. Free service for first 24,000 miles, but only according to book, so I had to pay for the extra oil changes. Service intervals actually are more expensive than the Acura I traded for it. Overall, I like it, but it is costing a lot more money to run than the dealer led me to think when I bought it. I probably won't buy another.

Watch out A6 and M35's
By Peter

2010 Subaru Legacy Sedan 3.6R Limited 4dr Sedan AWD (3.6L 6cyl 5A)

OK, so I decided that the 50K price point was the limit and I downsized after owning/leasing an A6 and M35.. No regrets (drove the 4cyl..get the 6). A few nits, like no storage net on the back of the driver seat and got the 2011 with the folding mirrors but so far so good- lots of pep in the 260 hp boxer. easily surpass' the 25 mpg level turnpike (dealer did not lie)- 16-18 local,good body features- folding back seats (not on A4 or G35), lumbar ( you need the electric seats the plain seats are not padded enough). Nav system took a few extra reads in the manual to master- if mileage is a worry you can almost get a 3.6L plus a prius to spare for same cost as A6

Favorite Features

Power with decent mileage reg gas- handling- 4wd (we ski)- folding seats- radio-sound system(upgraded one) is super

Suggested Improvements

back seat stoage- driverside missing (for my emergency umbrella), 12 V outlets- only key one to ignition- gas economy gauge not of high value- front guard for low cowling-

Nice car but a couple of fine tune thing
By frenchguy007

2010 Subaru Legacy Sedan 3.6R Limited 4dr Sedan AWD (3.6L 6cyl 5A)

Great ride, this is a driver's car. Love the 4 wheel drive system and the handling. Interior is very nice and the doors close like a Benz. Storage bin in the center console is really small for no reason (storage bin tapers smaller). Even though I have close to the top if the line model my satellite antenna is not on the roof but glued to the inside front glass (top passenger side). Give us a push start option on future models please.

Favorite Features

Drive and handling. Looks more upscale than most in this segment.

Suggested Improvements

Make storage areas as big as possible, don't make my almost top of the line car look so cheap by gluing the satellite antenna to the inside glass, put the antenna on the roof like all the other manufacturers.

After 3350 miles
By Marvinlee

2010 Subaru Legacy Sedan 3.6R Limited 4dr Sedan AWD (3.6L 6cyl 5A)

There is too much front-suspension tire road noise. The car is otherwise mostly quiet. The 3.6R engine vibrates noticeably at idle, smooths out in normal driving, then is harsh and noisy at high RPM. The auto transmission lacks a sixth gear. The center-section data display is too dim in bright daylight and the numbers are too small. Air conditioning is OK thus far, but noisy at high fan settings. The steering wheel should tilt down further, and telescope more. The radio is excellent but lacks the desirable speed-volume feature of the cheaper standard radio. The all wheel drive proved stable and safe on a very poor mountain road.

Favorite Features

The quiet door closing is much appreciated. Next best is the very large back-seat pass-through. It was why I bought the car. Seats are comfortable for short and long trips. Rear seat room is remarkable.

Suggested Improvements

Brighter instruments. Add spring assist to the tilt steering wheel. Reduce exterior body gaps. Make one-push all-doors unlocking a user-option on the key control. Lower power-train gear noise to competitor levels. Install a modern six speed automatic transmission.

Initial impressions
By marvinlee

2010 Subaru Legacy Sedan 3.6R Limited 4dr Sedan AWD (3.6L 6cyl 5A)

This is an initial review at 104 miles of use. The car rides well, dealer prep was poor--the compass-mirror was not set to this region and tires were badly over-inflated. The dealer also failed to prevent this factory ordered car from being unnecessarily driven by dealership employees. Perhaps that is why it now has a slight piston slap in one cylinder. The manual explicitly states not to exceed 4000 RPM before 1000 miles. The H-K music system is excellent. The steering wheel tilt-telescope control is awkwardly positioned. Body gaps are larger than the car being replaced. The white paint appearance is excellent.

Favorite Features

Superb head room, fine paint quality (white), six-disc player, quiet door closure, large fold-down back seat opening, didn't have to accept a sunroof with the premium Limited model.

Suggested Improvements

Six or seven speed automatic, quieter gears, folding side mirrors, smaller body gaps, less tire noise, make light colored interior available with the optional light blue exterior paint color. Reorganize and simplify owner's manual. Use a prettier steering wheel. Add speed-volume control to audio.

Quite Pleased
By JR17

2010 Subaru Legacy Sedan 3.6R Limited 4dr Sedan AWD (3.6L 6cyl 5A)

I've been driving my Legacy for about 2 1/2 months now and I love it. There is plenty of power and braking getting on and off of I-95. The sound system is quite nice and the range of seating options is fantastic, making for a comfortable ride no matter how I feel like sitting. Great usable trunk space, and terrific leather seating.

Favorite Features

I really love the one push sunroof and the outstanding sound system, although my favorite feature is the AWD handling combined with the solid acceleration.

Suggested Improvements

There is a slight noise issue when traveling at speeds over 75 MPH. Other than that this car is fantastic.

Nice Surprise
By Family Man

2010 Subaru Legacy Sedan 3.6R Limited 4dr Sedan AWD (3.6L 6cyl 5A)

Anxiously waited 3mos for this car & have close to 1K mi; it was worth the wait. Live in the NE region w/snow & it feels like driving on rails. Traded in an Acura MDX & wanted another AWD vehicle. Convinced the wife to look at Subaru vs Volvo/Audi. Back seats are much roomier than either brands. Initially looked at CVT for the better gas mileage but got the 3.6 instead for the power; we need it since we live on a hill. Will pass this car onto my son who'll start driving in 2yrs & wanted a safe & reliable car. This is my 1st experience w/Subaru and had some reservations about their long term reliability but after learning their history & sitting behind the wheel you feel very safe.

Favorite Features

Powerful engine, AWD, solid car.

Suggested Improvements

CVT w/more power & torque, USB should be standard, folding side mirrors & rear A/C & heating vents. Need to design another logo.

Great car, best in the class
By Fighter

2010 Subaru Legacy Sedan 3.6R Limited 4dr Sedan AWD (3.6L 6cyl 5A)

This car is awesome, I love to drive it. I never had a Subaru before I purchased this car. I had previously test drove Accord, G37x, 328ix, MB C300 and Subaru won with a huge margin. If you looking for space, lots of headroom even with moon-roof, comfort and style, snow capabilities, great MPG, and overall value, you MUST test drive the Legacy.

Favorite Features

Awesome AWD, paddle Shifters on the steering wheel, heated seats. Lots of head room for 6'4''. Solid build quality with attention to details.

Suggested Improvements

Better tires, stock bridgestone's ls-400 just a garbage. Conti DWS better and cheaper:)

Excellent Vehicle
By Nikko

2010 Subaru Legacy Sedan 3.6R Limited 4dr Sedan AWD (3.6L 6cyl 5A)

I'm as happy about purchasing the car as when I first got it. This is a great car. Comfortable, great visibility, plenty of power. The only negative so far is the UI for the Satellite Radio. It's horrible. You only get one piece of information (artist name OR song name OR channel name), and only 10 characters. When you use the up/down button on the wheel, it cycles through all 150+ channels, not through my presets. Stupid. I didn't get the nav kit, can't say if that has the same issue.

Favorite Features

Power, storage & trunk space, mileage, stability, comfort, visibility.

Suggested Improvements

Satellite Radio interface, pause before acceleration after slowing, I want the CVT on the H6, I want the dark interior with the white paint.

Love It
By NevadaSubie

2010 Subaru Legacy Sedan 3.6R Limited 4dr Sedan AWD (3.6L 6cyl 5A)

After owning an Audi A4 then having 2 kids I felt the need to trade it in for an SUV. My requirements were AWD and comfort. I never even considered a Subaru, (I had not seen the 2010) and was very pleasantly surprised. Upon test driving the 3.6R it instantly took me back to my days of owning my Audi, but with more comfort and room. Exterior noise is quiet, but not as silent as the Audi. I sat in the backseat of both the A6 and Legacy with my 6'2" husband comfortably in the drivers seat and it was roomier and easier to get in and out of the Legacy. I LOVE IT!!!

Favorite Features

I love the way the 3.6R drives. It handles terrific and this car can move! The Harmon Kardon stereo sounds great and the bluetooth controls are handy once you figure out how to program it. The interior is super comfy and holds 6'+ men easily. This car is a blast to drive.

Suggested Improvements

Stereo and thermostat display is dark gray with light gray and looks weird. MP3 connection could be better. Manual has no information on bluetooth programming or connection. Homelink (garage opener) should be a standard feature. I avg 22MPG and that isn't an issue for me, but could be for others.