Used 2010 Subaru Legacy Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2010 Subaru Legacy Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Legacy model:

Death by Subaru vs. Contributory Negligence Laws
By viennashopper

2010 Subaru Legacy Sedan 3.6R Limited 4dr Sedan AWD (3.6L 6cyl 5A)

In November 2014 our adult son left the house for his 20-minute commute to work in his 2010 Subaru Legacy 3.6R Limited Sedan. It was clear, cool and dry that morning. According to an eyewitness, the car roared down the street at a speed of some 50 mph sounding like a garbage truck. In less than 400 feet and about six seconds, the Legacy veered over a neighbor’s curb, pivoted and hit a tree at 45 mph (per Police Department). We assume this was his attempt to slow and stop the runaway vehicle without killing or injuring anyone. Regrettably, our son died the following week as a direct result of this unintended acceleration incident.

Subaru of America Customer Service was contacted quickly, with their promise that a decision would be made within 24 hours as to a Subaru investigation. (Similar incidents have been attributable to defective computer chips which have the ‘authority’ to control the throttle). Instead, the matter went to their insurance company, then an outsourced litigation attorney. A full month later, a perfunctory 1970’s style investigation totally disregarded the advanced computer controls and diagnostics of a 2010 Subaru. The examiner’s excuse was that the battery and electrical system had been damaged. Needless to say, this was totally unsatisfactory, and very shameful for the Subaru organization.

Clearly, Subaru’s focus was on minimizing liability at the risk of damaging their reputation, as well as the lives of other Legacy owners. However, due to archaic contributory negligence laws in VA, MD, AL, NC, and D.C., they were safe, since these laws absolve Subaru unless found to be 100% negligible. Anything less, even 99% guilty and there is no case. The 1% need only focus on issues unrelated to the product defect, (i.e., driver distraction, texting, health issues, age, driving experience, disability, etc.), to win the case for their client/defendant, which effectively makes the product defect disappear.

Goes through headlights like crazy!
By rachelinmn

2010 Subaru Legacy Sedan 2.5i 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 4cyl 6M)

I bought my 2010 Legacy new. In 4.5 years, I have had to replace 5 low-beam headlights. The dealership gave me multiple excuses that made no sense. The customer service rep at Subaru headquarters said she thought it was reasonable to replace a headlight every 22,000 miles, and would do nothing. At $70 per replacement, I cannot afford to keep this car. Very disappointed in Subaru's quality and customer service.

So THIS is why people buy imports..
By helloiamjohn

2010 Subaru Legacy Sedan 2.5i Premium 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

I was originally looking for a 4x4/awd crossover SUV. The salesman had none around, but wanted to show me this Subaru, a brand I knew only a few (good) things about. The weather was really bad that day, with schools closed due to icy roads, but the Legacy killed it. No drama, and the heater was a champ. It feels like an extremely nice, intelligent vehicle, and the truly awesome MPG combined with the looks, comfort, and reknowned reliability sold me on it. I am so glad I tried it.

the 2.5 provides fairly peppy acceleration. Gas mileage is awesome! over 30 on the highway around 70mph A big tank+great mpg= extremely long range (I'm thinking I could go close to 500 miles without getting gas, all hwy, in town more like 350-400) The lumbar support makes the driver's seat really comfy. HUGE legroom for every seat in the car visibility doesn't get any better than this. paddle shifters are fun when you want them Sound system quality is good, and the interior just looks awesome.

The only thing I don't have that is heated seats, and I'm sure that's readily available on other instances of this model. This car has made me a big Subaru fan, even though I used to swear I'd never drive an import. I love it.

All good except the seats are a pain
By roaddogs70

2010 Subaru Legacy Sedan 2.5i Premium 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

Except for the intolerable seats...I like my Subaru and everything else about this car. Economical, reliable, easy to see out of it. Good size trunk. Good in the snow and rough roads. Feels somewhat primitive and mechanical, but well connected. Good build quality. It makes me unhappy to report how uncomfortable this car is on longer trips. My wife and I can't wait to get to a rest stop...just to get out and stretch our backs and behinds. We have taken our Legacy cross country for a 5,000 mile trip...no problems with the car...big problems for us sitting in it. It is really unfortunate these seats feel so uncomfortable.

All wheel drive. Flat cornering. Good gas mileage. Very Reliable.

It would be worth a few dollars more to make the seats comfortable for average sized Americans. My wife and I are average height and weight but these seats don't work for us. The front seats are hard and the seat bottoms are short. I have the Premium cloth seats with 10 way heated driver seats. For short trips...not too bad. After a few hours of driving...they are extremely uncomfortable. They are really firm and lower in the back. The passengers seat is limited to 4 ways...forward and backward...even on the top model. Because of the seats I am trying to get our of my lease early so I can find a car I don't mind sitting in to drive.

Love my Legacy Great MPG
By misss

2010 Subaru Legacy Sedan 2.5i Premium 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

I have had my Legacy for two years now. Bought it new. When I take long drive I'm making 34 MPG. Right now with some city and mostly highway I'm getting about 29 MPG. It's a little less in the winter time with all the idling we do in the cold weather. Love the heated seats and heated side mirrors. I feel really safe on our icy roads in the winter. Would by another in a heart beat.