Used 2009 Subaru Legacy Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Subaru Legacy Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Legacy model:

Rugged, agile, attractive and a bargain
By John

2009 Subaru Legacy Sedan 2.5i Limited 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

We bought this car after a whole year of online research and test drives. Completely satisfied after a month of ownership. We needed a safe car for our 5-year-old twins, and the Legacy is definitely that. It's also a real pleasure to drive. The overall impression is that it's extremely solid, but also very agile (not an easy combination). Steering is just about perfect -- responsive and precise. The engine is smooth and has good torque. Visibility is great. Simple, no hassle driving and parking. Interior design is very handsome and oozes quality. Not a large car, but big enough for a family of 4. Superior value for the money. I'll post again after driving in winter conditions.

Rugged feel combined with sharp handling. High quality construction. Attractive and driver-oriented interior.

Power seat memory. Turn signals on side mirrors. Storage for sunglasses.

Love my Legacy!
By New Subaru owner

2009 Subaru Legacy Sedan 2.5i Special Edition 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

When I was forced to abandon ownership of my Jetta because no one in my town was talented enough to fix it - I looked at the Subaru. I live in the mountains in NC - and thought that AWD would be a good idea. I bought a 2009 Legacy (2.5 Special Edition issue). Although the "pick up" isn't quite like my Jetta - everything else more than surpasses my expectations and desires. My favorite part is the stability - in rain (no ice yet, but am waiting for winter), the car handles hazardous road conditions like a magnet on steel. I was amazed. I also love the stereo system - especially since I can plug in my iPod. Now I can listen to Stephanie Miller podcasts on my way to work. I love my Subaru!

My favorite part - the handling. It's better than my Jetta and I don't have to put 19" tires on my car anymore!! I love it. Also - I'm like a lot of other folks ~ I get 34 mpg on the highway - which is mostly where I do my driving. Amazing.

The only thing I would suggest is for the car to have more get-up-and-go. (I guess the Jetta spoiled me - but the Subaru excels in reliability, so I can handle the slower accelerating vehicle.) At least it doesn't break down on me monthly like the Jetta did.

Do not buy this car!!!
By Dissapointed

2009 Subaru Legacy Sedan 2.5i Special Edition 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I would not recommend this car to anyone! The transmission shifts so roughly the entire car lurches, but the dealership insists it is fine. The seats are extremely uncomfortable - my back kills by the time I arrive at work!! The interior looks worn after only having the car for a few weeks. I purchased this car because I wanted an AWD vehicle and the price seemed good, but I regret every time I step foot in the car!

Legacy GT is for the smart driver
By Rex

2009 Subaru Legacy Sedan 2.5GT Limited 4dr Sedan AWD w/Nav (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

I have driven this car for the last 2 months and I love it. I owned an infiniti J30 and a cruddy 2000 maxima. The legacy GT handles like "it is on rails" and its probably just as good as BMW for half the price. The design of the car is humble and the interior is comfortable, I love the sound system and the way the seat feels. The navigation is not so high tech but it does work well. Bottom line this car is unique and is a awesome to drive, for those who "get it". You really need to drive one to understand. Infiniti, Lexus and BMW woo you with unnecessary options. Subaru is like an underground entity which only those with the brains over brawn will understand. BUY ONE.

Sound System is Perfectly adjusted, Seats, Quick (Take out G35's and 350z no problem), humble looks, hood scoop, suspension, handling, boxer engine, safety, turbo,, solid car... one word AWESOME...

navigation seems ancient, tight in the back seat, no hid's, fog lights should be yellow, better looking wheels, ipod connection that lets you control thru main display, gas mileage, better temperature control, idle engine is loud, rear view camera, that's it other than that it's a great car...

Awesome Buy
By Gaz

2009 Subaru Legacy Sedan 2.5i Special Edition 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

The company I work for has a few Subarus, before I worked there I would have never thought about owning one. Now, I would not have it any other way. One of the office Subarus has over 220,000+ miles on it (99 Impreza,MT) & another has 130,000+ miles on it (05 Impreza,MT)I've driven the 05 "like I stole it" too. We change the oil and rotate the tires. I chose the Legacy, a little roomier than the Impreza. I also opted for the 5 speed MT, less overall ownership cost and I control the MPG a little more than the AT, not a computer. I don't understand the mileage rating from Subaru, I read other posts and several people have pointed out that these cars can get 32-36 mpg on the hwy. I do too!

The sporty drive is GREAT!! The HK stereo is awesome for a factory option, the sun roof is great and the handling is excellent. Monarch Pass, Kenosha Pas, Vail Pass, anytime of year, no problem. Where most others in its class can't, this one does.

Slight vibrations from the HK stereo system, a little more power would be nice. More interior colors to choose from ...I have the Newport Blue Pearl, dark seats as an option would have been better with my very young kids and dogs.