2009 Subaru Legacy Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Legacy model:
Very happy three months in
By lucasbear on 07/29/10 05:32 AM (PDT)

2009 Subaru Legacy Sedan 2.5i 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I got this Subaru almost on a whim since I wanted to dump my lemon of a Chevrolet Impala. So far I have been very happy with the car. For a 2.5 engine it has plenty of pep to climb hills and the interior is extremely comfortable. The stereo system rocks,and the controls are easy to reach. A little noisier than I anticipated, but the car feels like it is riding on rails no matter what the weather. Fun to drive, safe, and well-built. I would be happier if it got better gas mileage but so far am averaging about 26 MPH in a mix of city and highway, and I will trade that for the ride and security. The trunk could be a little bit bigger for vacation, but otherwise I am extremely happy.

fast family car
By buggybear on 07/09/10 10:16 AM (PDT)

2009 Subaru Legacy Sedan 3.0R Limited 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

With the H6 engine, Bilstein dampers, upgraded audio and interior, and sporty AWD system, this car is a great drive for a utilitarian family sedan. Trunk and seating space is adequate but not great. Got it for about the same as the slab sided 4 cylinder 2010s hitting the lot -- great bargain except for poor mileage and some mechanical issues fixed under warranty. Composed at speed, the car is good for curvy New England back roads too. Auto trans is also OK with paddle shifters, but just OK (downshift blips are the best feature). This isn't a true sport sedan but it's a nice compromise that allows a family of 3 to enjoy the open road (and allows a single driver to cut it up a little).

Nice Car
By Danlo on 06/08/10 15:44 PM (PDT)

2009 Subaru Legacy Sedan 2.5i Special Edition 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I bought my Legacy used with 7000 miles. After 2 months of driving, this car is trouble free. Haven't driving on snow yet. This is my first Subaru & I am very happy with this car. Gas mileage is around 25 combined & 34 on highway. Only complains are loud engine noise when cold starts & lack of storage.

Well rounded sports sedan
By RocPat on 01/04/10 09:23 AM (PST)

2009 Subaru Legacy Sedan 2.5GT Limited 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Researched all wheel drive vehicles for several months before deciding on the Legacy for numerous reasons. I'm extremely happy with my decision and always look forward to driving it. It handles rain, snow, and freezing temperatures with aplomb. When the weather is nice it's tons of fun to blast down twisty back roads. One of the most well-rounded vehicles I've ever driven!

Happy Buyer
By axyooj on 12/23/09 12:59 PM (PST)

2009 Subaru Legacy Sedan 2.5GT Limited 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

The car can be a comfortable cruiser in I-drive mode or a powerful, sports sedan in Sport Sharp mode. There is a perfect setting for your driving mood or road condition. The GT Ltd. version is sporty and responsive; plenty of power is just one downshift away and pressing the accelerator. The turbo whirls into action and with the standard AWD gripping the road--wet or dry--the vehicle simply flies. Winter is now here and I have no reservations driving my kids around in any weather condition. Research your options, test drive the competition and then the Legacy GT Ltd. and the car you'll drive home is the Subaru.

Finally...The Car I've Wanted
By Cam on 12/10/09 12:11 PM (PST)

2009 Subaru Legacy Sedan 2.5i Special Edition 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I have wasted a ton of money in negative equity with a 07 Camry, 08 Altima, and 08 Accord (lease) before coming around to Subaru. I wanted to wait on a review until I put it in the snow. It was amazing. Everything about this car with its value really added up to a great experience so far. The dealer was great about letting me test drive and had a great purchase incentive. They got me out of my Honda lease and into one of the last 09 Legacy on the lot. The premium sound system is amazing. The car drives extremely well and the interior design is great. I like the '10 exterior better, but am in love with my 09 so far. Amazing ride in snow, rain, and in the sun. Highly recommended.

Legacy GT Turbo
By Mac on 11/13/09 11:05 AM (PST)

2009 Subaru Legacy Sedan 2.5GT Limited 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

There are a lot of reviews out there that suggest this car can compete with the European Sports Sedan class and I would say that it falls short. It is a quick car that offers a lot of bang for the buck, but its suspension is soft and lacks the high quality interior of its rivals.

New ERA
By Chef on 11/03/09 12:09 PM (PST)

2009 Subaru Legacy Sedan 2.5i Limited 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

Traded in my VW tdi because nobody around my area could fix it. Was used to the great mileage of a diesel but I drive a lot and being safe in the winter has its benefits as well. The car runs me 29 mpg per tankful at 90% highway driving. It is cemented to the road and I always feel in control. It is agile and fun to drive although long distances my right leg seems to fall asleep. The headlights have a horizon to them and is kind of funky going down a hill. I love the look of the inside and how the stereo is angled towards the driver as well as the placement of things, except the emergency brake and cup holders. If you are looking for a fun and safe car you should take it for a drive.

Glad we decided to test drive
By Michael on 10/08/09 20:46 PM (PDT)

2009 Subaru Legacy Sedan 2.5i Limited 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

My wife and I love our Subaru Limited. We have had it for 3 months and no buyers remorse here. Handling - no comparison with other models in its class. Steering and overall comfort is wonderful. Test drove Altima, Accord and Sonata. Though the others each had their perks and overall better gas mileage, the AWD and wonderful drive sold it for us. 3-4 MPG less was not an issue with so many other nice features. The vehicle turns on a dime and handles great in the rain. I can't wait to see how it handles under winter conditions. The HK sound system is great too but was not a reason to buy. The car sold itself for us.

Handles like no other
By Tony Torres on 09/15/09 09:13 AM (PDT)

2009 Subaru Legacy Sedan 2.5i Special Edition 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

This vehicle handles like no other. This is the fourth "new" car I have owned, and it handles far better than any new car I have ever driven. I traded in my clunker...96 chevy tahoe with a 5.7 litre V8, so the 4 cylinder took a bit of getting used to, but as I get accustomed to the power, it is pretty snappy. Seats not too comfortable for long drives, but it's very easy and very fun to drive. I took it up to the Colorado mountains twice and it climbs with ease and handles those curves, above the speed limit, without so much as a mild screech. This vehicle is phenomenal, I love it, I recommend it to everyone. The elderly may find it too low to the ground, so it is with most "cars".

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2009 Subaru Legacy Sedan in VA is:

$117 per month*