Used 2009 Subaru Legacy Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Subaru Legacy - Consumer Reviews

2009 Subaru Legacy

View reviews for a specific Legacy model:

Solid sedan
By foggnm

2009 Subaru Legacy 2.5i Special Edition 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I sold a new 2012 Mazda3 which I never really fell in love with and purchased this car used with very low mileage as basic transportation. I drive about 5K per year. I wanted something I could transport my bikes and canoe on the roof. Nicely built sedan. Good handling. Not powerful at high speeds, but peppy at low and mid range. Decent trunk space that opens into back seats. Comfortable driver seat. After a 1000 miles of driving no issues, solid feel, and happy with my purchase. Mileage has been 24 city, 29 highway.

Favorite Features

All wheel drive. Overall driveability, maneuverability. Fold down rear seats. Trunk space. Sleeper image. Much better reliability than my German car.

Suggested Improvements

Power windows are a bit on the slow side, not sure if this is because they are frameless or just the motors. Needs a little better noise control over suspension.

Very Happy First time Suby Owner
By rjslemm

2009 Subaru Legacy 2.5i Special Edition 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

Have had my 09 SE for about 3.5 months, and have loved every minute of it with 109K on her. Sheila had a minor blip with a blown tranny after a week, but I can almost attribute that to the previous owner. After a fight with the dealer it was fixed for free, with a loaner I hated(2012 Nissan Altima/CVT) Unfortunately Subaru no longer makes the 4 speed auto so I wound up with a 30K tranny, but she still runs and drives like a dream, fun to drive wet and dry, and am moving from PA to OKC before the next winter, so her snow will be limited, but I know she can handle it.

Favorite Features

Competitive rarity, Harmon/Kardon sound with the subwoofer, moonroof, well, absolutely love the entire car. The seats are supportive in all the right places and comfortable on long drives, My 5-8 frame has no problem with a "lack of thigh support" some complain about.

Suggested Improvements

Subaru needs to go to a modern 6-speed auto and leave the current CVT out of the equation, but thats irrelevant to the 09.

Excellent all around
By jtanasse

2009 Subaru Legacy 2.5i Special Edition 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I reviewed 2008 and 2009 Subaru Legacys for several months before purchasing one. I also looked at Honda Civics, Accords, Toyota Camrys and Carollas. I am a very careful buyer, so I was very cautious in my decision. Ultimately, the Legacy was the clear choice. Handling is great, and mileage is better than you would expect. I have gone on two 7-hour road trips and got 34.7 mpg on the first and 35 mpg on the second. Typically, it's around 33 mpg on the highway. This is just as good as the Accord and the Camry. Unlike the Accord and Camry, though, the Legacy has AWD all the time. This is great for winters here in eastern Washington state. I love my Subaru!

Favorite Features

The design is beautiful in my opinion. I love that it gets great gas mileage even though it weighs two tons. And, of course, the AWD makes me pray for snow!

Suggested Improvements

In 9 months of driving, I can't think of any improvements needed.

2009 Legacy
By cogs1

2009 Subaru Legacy 2.5i Special Edition 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

owned it for couple years and 35k miles, still looks and drives like the 1st day I bought it. No issues at all. No, the car is not fast but it is fun to drive, corners like a dream and with the AWD is the best car I ever drove in snow, we get 27-28 mpg all the time in mixed use driving, the mileage got better as it broke in over the first 6 months. The car has been great so far and we are very happy with the purchase. The looks, solid feel, AWD, good price, made in the the US, safety ..it is a winner all the way around

Favorite Features

Styling & AWD, mixture of sport and safety

Suggested Improvements

none

Dang good car
By imacarguy

2009 Subaru Legacy 2.5i Special Edition 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I bought this car used with 20,000 miles and it was certified pre owned. I am accustomed to powerful cars, and this car isn't. That's ok, because there is more to a car than drag races. The power is adequate, but I think Subaru should tune the 4 pot to 200hp, then bump the 3.0 a little more. Very fun in corners, and the rain. Beware the stock Yokohama Advan tires. Crap, especially in the rain. Otherwise a great car. I like the looks of this generation more than the current, especially in sedan form.

Favorite Features

Does well in the rain, but the tires quit too soon. Have taken the car through soft wet sand in the pouring rain at Folsom Lake. Very fun. Harmon Kardon stereo is more than adequate for factory stereo. Not the fastest car, but fun to drive. Looks good in satin white pearl with tinted windows, like mine. Also removed the badges, and it just has a clean look.

Suggested Improvements

I average 22.5mpg in all city, and 30+ on just highway. I wish this model had the 5 speed auto on the naturally aspirated 4 pot; the 4 speed gets confused sometimes. Now the Legacy has the CVT, which I have driven for a few hundred miles, and it is ok. I have problems with the driver seat backrest creaking, and it has been to the dealer twice for it in 2 months, and still not fixed.