Used 2009 Subaru Legacy 2.5i Limited Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Subaru Legacy - Consumer Reviews

2009 Subaru Legacy Sedan

View reviews for a specific Legacy model:

Love the features, Not so much performance
By mo77

2009 Subaru Legacy Sedan 2.5i Limited 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

Owned this car 4 yrs. Up until the last few months of ownership, the car did well. At 90+ miles, it began to have issues. Interior features are superb. But performance is sub par. It rolls even with good tires. I suggest getting rid of the stock Yokohama tires. Acceleration is sluggish, probably due to the outdated 4 speed auto transmission. Manual auto shift great in snow. Inside, not roomy at all. Even center console was too small. I was fine at 5'2", but my 6'2" husband was not comfortable. Back seat is tight. Trunk room is good. AWD is its saving grace.

Favorite Features

Harmon Kardon stereo (which I truly miss), Homelink, dimming rear view mirrors. Subaru remote start is a must in the Snow belt states.

Suggested Improvements

I traded this car for the 2014 base model with the fog light package and paid extra for remote start. The improvements were made with the new model years: better acceleration, more room. So much improved in performance that I don't miss the bells and whistles of the limited trim level.

New ERA
By Chef

2009 Subaru Legacy Sedan 2.5i Limited 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

Traded in my VW tdi because nobody around my area could fix it. Was used to the great mileage of a diesel but I drive a lot and being safe in the winter has its benefits as well. The car runs me 29 mpg per tankful at 90% highway driving. It is cemented to the road and I always feel in control. It is agile and fun to drive although long distances my right leg seems to fall asleep. The headlights have a horizon to them and is kind of funky going down a hill. I love the look of the inside and how the stereo is angled towards the driver as well as the placement of things, except the emergency brake and cup holders. If you are looking for a fun and safe car you should take it for a drive.

Favorite Features

Auto Climate Control, Heated Package, Power Seats (Never had them) AWD!

Suggested Improvements

More space for things. Better mileage. Fix the horizon on the lights, Bigger Arm Rest. Framed Windows. More comfortable seating.

Glad we decided to test drive
By Michael

2009 Subaru Legacy Sedan 2.5i Limited 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

My wife and I love our Subaru Limited. We have had it for 3 months and no buyers remorse here. Handling - no comparison with other models in its class. Steering and overall comfort is wonderful. Test drove Altima, Accord and Sonata. Though the others each had their perks and overall better gas mileage, the AWD and wonderful drive sold it for us. 3-4 MPG less was not an issue with so many other nice features. The vehicle turns on a dime and handles great in the rain. I can't wait to see how it handles under winter conditions. The HK sound system is great too but was not a reason to buy. The car sold itself for us.

Favorite Features

Road Handling, steering, interior design, body styling, HK stereo system and limited edition accessories.

Suggested Improvements

5 or 6-speed auto transmission choices for better mileage (2010 model has improved on both of these); Darker Leather color choices; better driver armrest; HK CD player features - add random play to skip to different songs on different CDs. Right now it will only play random on 1 CD at a time.

Not for Seniors
By Jay R

2009 Subaru Legacy Sedan 2.5i Limited 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

We have had this 1st time Subaru for 1 year and find that it is not comfortable for us older citizens. The passenger seat is very low and cannot be raised. Passenger has a difficult time exiting car because the car is set low and the seat is low. Driver, 5'11" & 175, is hard on the legs for the same reason. With seat lowered for driving comfort car it is difficult to enter and exit. MPG not up to rating for all in city driving. But, once inside the car is very good driving and fun to drive. We will go back to a Camry even though the price on the Subaru is terrific. No service problems in the year. Be sure seats are comfortable and park at a curb on your test drive.

Favorite Features

Trunk space is great, automatic doors and trunk useful, parking very easy, standard am/fm/cd very good.

Suggested Improvements

Passenger seat needs height adjustment, side mirrors need improving.

New Legacy
By John

2009 Subaru Legacy Sedan 2.5i Limited 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

My sixth Subaru (79 and 87 wagons, 81 Brat, 95 Legacy, 03 Forester). Still have the Forester and Brat. Just picked up a 2009 Legacy 2.5i Limited-$21,800-and 2.9% financing. This is a good time to get the 09 models with the new 10's coming in. Initial impressions-firm but sporty ride, seats are hard (but I am coming from a very soft seat in a Ford Explorer), drove smoothly on the 125 mile trip back from the dealer. Nice sound system from the Harmon Karden stereo. Very similar in size to my old 95 Legacy -on the smaller size of the competition but my 6-year old fits fine in the backseat in her booster seat. 22.6mpg on the drive home but that should improve with time.

Favorite Features

AWD, stereo, autoclimate control, sunroof, sport-shift transmission, stereo and cruise control on steering wheel, has a sporty look with dual exhaust, wheels, spoiler. Fold down rear seats.

Suggested Improvements

Not a big fan of the red interior lighting-like my Forester better (has green lighting), Lowbeam headlights have a distinct cut off line on the horizon, parking brake intrudes on right leg, No rain channels-with open windows, water dripped in windows while driving