Used 2009 Subaru Legacy Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Subaru Legacy - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Legacy model:

My First and Only Subaru
By Kerensa

2009 Subaru Legacy Sedan 2.5i Special Edition 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I absolutely loved this car when I had it. I owned it close to 3 years. I needed an AWD vehicle, but I was hesitant to venture into the SUV world just yet. Besides normal maintenance on the vehicle, I literally had no problems with it. I just had to upgrade to something bigger so I was able to see out of it better.

Favorite Features

AWD, Great Speakers, Highly Reliable

Suggested Improvements

This is probably just because of me and the fact that this is a small vehicle, but I felt horribly cramped in it. I just kept bumping into everything.

My 1st SUBARU-"It's a keeper"
By hank60

2009 Subaru Legacy Sedan 2.5i Special Edition 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

This 2009 Legacy is a good value for what it is; I bought it used with about 20k miles on it---now it's 4 yrs later with over 75k miles. The AWD is great for the Ohio winters, especially once I replaced the OE tires with higher quality treads. I get about 25 mpg overall city/hwy which is not great, but for having AWD and the comfort and space for me, it's OK. I appreciate the rear seatbacks which fold forward, which gives extra space for storage, or transporting materials from Home Depot when doing weekend projects. I wish the engine had more power for quicker acceleration at times, but it's adequate most of the time. The car has been basically trouble-free...it's a KEEPER for me!

Favorite Features

The AWD makes this car unique in it's price range with a great reliability history; I like the fold-down rear seats which vastly increases the cargo capacity when needed. The combination of traction and stability control on a vehicle with AWD makes this car very safe in all kinds of weather.

Suggested Improvements

I wish the car was quieter, with more power and better gas mileage, with upgraded technological features---IT SEEMS THAT THIS ISSUES HAVE BEEN ADDRESSED IN THE NEWER MODELS.

Review from Desert Environment
By iouae

2009 Subaru Legacy Sedan 2.5i 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

bought my 2.5 B sport in 2009, now it has 120K miles on it, still feels as good as new. Super reliable, and as good as it runs in snow, so it does in the desert. Corners like a dream and the power is okay. depreciation is way lower than you would expect in this harsh environment in UAE. MPG is not that great, but who cares since Gas here is so cheap. The only cons here are the cheap sound system they send to this region, and the air noise insulation is poor, this gets annoying since most of the time we travel on highways in Dubai!

Favorite Features

Stability, Reliability

Suggested Improvements

sound insulation, change the gearbox

Love the features, Not so much performance
By mo77

2009 Subaru Legacy Sedan 2.5i Limited 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

Owned this car 4 yrs. Up until the last few months of ownership, the car did well. At 90+ miles, it began to have issues. Interior features are superb. But performance is sub par. It rolls even with good tires. I suggest getting rid of the stock Yokohama tires. Acceleration is sluggish, probably due to the outdated 4 speed auto transmission. Manual auto shift great in snow. Inside, not roomy at all. Even center console was too small. I was fine at 5'2", but my 6'2" husband was not comfortable. Back seat is tight. Trunk room is good. AWD is its saving grace.

Favorite Features

Harmon Kardon stereo (which I truly miss), Homelink, dimming rear view mirrors. Subaru remote start is a must in the Snow belt states.

Suggested Improvements

I traded this car for the 2014 base model with the fog light package and paid extra for remote start. The improvements were made with the new model years: better acceleration, more room. So much improved in performance that I don't miss the bells and whistles of the limited trim level.

Someones trash became my treasure!!
By mista_tee

2009 Subaru Legacy Sedan 3.0R 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

I bought my Legacy 3.0R used with 13400 miles. This is my commuter car. Its a blast to drive with great acceleration and braking. I wish there was a little less body roll but overall very sporty ride. Maybe if I upgrade the roll and strut bars. I love the black cloth and silver trim. I upgraded to a bluetooth pioneer radio and the factory Harmon Kardon sounds much better than the stock unit not that the stocker is bad. The gas mileage isnt great but I knew what I was getting into before I bought it. The back seat is a little tight for adults but we own a SUV if we need to haul passengers.

Favorite Features

Front seats, engines purrs, interior, acceleration, 5 speed automatic, speakers and wheels.

Suggested Improvements

Body roll but I'm sure I will upgrade the suspension because I'm a tinkerer. Fuel economy is subpar but I knew that already.