2009 Subaru Legacy Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Legacy model:
My 1st SUBARU-"It's a keeper"
By hank60 on 07/08/14 07:03 AM (PDT)

2009 Subaru Legacy Sedan 2.5i Special Edition 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

This 2009 Legacy is a good value for what it is; I bought it used with about 20k miles on it---now it's 4 yrs later with over 75k miles. The AWD is great for the Ohio winters, especially once I replaced the OE tires with higher quality treads. I get about 25 mpg overall city/hwy which is not great, but for having AWD and the comfort and space for me, it's OK. I appreciate the rear seatbacks which fold forward, which gives extra space for storage, or transporting materials from Home Depot when doing weekend projects. I wish the engine had more power for quicker acceleration at times, but it's adequate most of the time. The car has been basically trouble-free...it's a KEEPER for me!

Review from Desert Environment
By iouae on 06/09/14 04:38 AM (PDT)

2009 Subaru Legacy Sedan 2.5i 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

bought my 2.5 B sport in 2009, now it has 120K miles on it, still feels as good as new. Super reliable, and as good as it runs in snow, so it does in the desert. Corners like a dream and the power is okay. depreciation is way lower than you would expect in this harsh environment in UAE. MPG is not that great, but who cares since Gas here is so cheap. The only cons here are the cheap sound system they send to this region, and the air noise insulation is poor, this gets annoying since most of the time we travel on highways in Dubai!

Love the features, Not so much performance
By mo77 on 10/30/13 09:46 AM (PDT)

2009 Subaru Legacy Sedan 2.5i Limited 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

Owned this car 4 yrs. Up until the last few months of ownership, the car did well. At 90+ miles, it began to have issues. Interior features are superb. But performance is sub par. It rolls even with good tires. I suggest getting rid of the stock Yokohama tires. Acceleration is sluggish, probably due to the outdated 4 speed auto transmission. Manual auto shift great in snow. Inside, not roomy at all. Even center console was too small. I was fine at 5'2", but my 6'2" husband was not comfortable. Back seat is tight. Trunk room is good. AWD is its saving grace.

Someones trash became my treasure!!
By mista_tee on 02/26/13 12:30 PM (PST)

2009 Subaru Legacy Sedan 3.0R 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

I bought my Legacy 3.0R used with 13400 miles. This is my commuter car. Its a blast to drive with great acceleration and braking. I wish there was a little less body roll but overall very sporty ride. Maybe if I upgrade the roll and strut bars. I love the black cloth and silver trim. I upgraded to a bluetooth pioneer radio and the factory Harmon Kardon sounds much better than the stock unit not that the stocker is bad. The gas mileage isnt great but I knew what I was getting into before I bought it. The back seat is a little tight for adults but we own a SUV if we need to haul passengers.

Solid sedan
By foggnm on 11/19/12 11:55 AM (PST)

2009 Subaru Legacy Sedan 2.5i Special Edition 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I sold a new 2012 Mazda3 which I never really fell in love with and purchased this car used with very low mileage as basic transportation. I drive about 5K per year. I wanted something I could transport my bikes and canoe on the roof. Nicely built sedan. Good handling. Not powerful at high speeds, but peppy at low and mid range. Decent trunk space that opens into back seats. Comfortable driver seat. After a 1000 miles of driving no issues, solid feel, and happy with my purchase. Mileage has been 24 city, 29 highway.

Very Happy First time Suby Owner
By rjslemm on 08/08/12 18:23 PM (PDT)

2009 Subaru Legacy Sedan 2.5i Special Edition 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

Have had my 09 SE for about 3.5 months, and have loved every minute of it with 109K on her. Sheila had a minor blip with a blown tranny after a week, but I can almost attribute that to the previous owner. After a fight with the dealer it was fixed for free, with a loaner I hated(2012 Nissan Altima/CVT) Unfortunately Subaru no longer makes the 4 speed auto so I wound up with a 30K tranny, but she still runs and drives like a dream, fun to drive wet and dry, and am moving from PA to OKC before the next winter, so her snow will be limited, but I know she can handle it.

Excellent all around
By jtanasse on 09/08/11 12:21 PM (PDT)

2009 Subaru Legacy Sedan 2.5i Special Edition 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I reviewed 2008 and 2009 Subaru Legacys for several months before purchasing one. I also looked at Honda Civics, Accords, Toyota Camrys and Carollas. I am a very careful buyer, so I was very cautious in my decision. Ultimately, the Legacy was the clear choice. Handling is great, and mileage is better than you would expect. I have gone on two 7-hour road trips and got 34.7 mpg on the first and 35 mpg on the second. Typically, it's around 33 mpg on the highway. This is just as good as the Accord and the Camry. Unlike the Accord and Camry, though, the Legacy has AWD all the time. This is great for winters here in eastern Washington state. I love my Subaru!

2009 Legacy
By cogs1 on 07/30/11 21:27 PM (PDT)

2009 Subaru Legacy Sedan 2.5i Special Edition 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

owned it for couple years and 35k miles, still looks and drives like the 1st day I bought it. No issues at all. No, the car is not fast but it is fun to drive, corners like a dream and with the AWD is the best car I ever drove in snow, we get 27-28 mpg all the time in mixed use driving, the mileage got better as it broke in over the first 6 months. The car has been great so far and we are very happy with the purchase. The looks, solid feel, AWD, good price, made in the the US, safety ..it is a winner all the way around

Dang good car
By imacarguy on 05/05/11 09:51 AM (PDT)

2009 Subaru Legacy Sedan 2.5i Special Edition 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I bought this car used with 20,000 miles and it was certified pre owned. I am accustomed to powerful cars, and this car isn't. That's ok, because there is more to a car than drag races. The power is adequate, but I think Subaru should tune the 4 pot to 200hp, then bump the 3.0 a little more. Very fun in corners, and the rain. Beware the stock Yokohama Advan tires. Crap, especially in the rain. Otherwise a great car. I like the looks of this generation more than the current, especially in sedan form.

2009 Subaru Legacy Special Edition
By edman01 on 04/23/11 15:41 PM (PDT)

2009 Subaru Legacy Sedan 2.5i Special Edition 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

Just bought this 2009 Subaru Legacy Special Edition with 8500 miles at a good price. I liked the new style but went with the older design. It is fun to drive....

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2009 Subaru Legacy Sedan in VA is:

$117 per month*