Used 2009 Subaru Legacy Sedan Consumer Reviews - 64 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Subaru Legacy Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Legacy model:

Great car
By Michele Martinez

2009 Subaru Legacy Sedan 2.5i Special Edition 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Its mine

My First and Only Subaru
By Kerensa

2009 Subaru Legacy Sedan 2.5i Special Edition 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I absolutely loved this car when I had it. I owned it close to 3 years. I needed an AWD vehicle, but I was hesitant to venture into the SUV world just yet. Besides normal maintenance on the vehicle, I literally had no problems with it. I just had to upgrade to something bigger so I was able to see out of it better.

AWD, Great Speakers, Highly Reliable

This is probably just because of me and the fact that this is a small vehicle, but I felt horribly cramped in it. I just kept bumping into everything.

My 1st SUBARU-"It's a keeper"-STILL!
By hank60

2009 Subaru Legacy Sedan 2.5i Special Edition 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

This 2009 Legacy is a good value for what it is; I bought it used with about 20k miles on it---now it's 4 yrs later with over 75k miles. The AWD is great for the Ohio winters, especially once I replaced the OE tires with higher quality treads. I get about 25 mpg overall city/hwy which is not great, but for having AWD and the comfort and space for me, it's OK. I appreciate the rear seatbacks which fold forward, which gives extra space for storage, or transporting materials from Home Depot when doing weekend projects. I wish the engine had more power for quicker acceleration at times, but it's adequate most of the time. The car has been basically trouble-free...it's a KEEPER for me!
UPDATE: I have now had this car for over 6 years, and have put 100,000 miles on it since I got it. It still runs and
handles the same. Most of the maintenance has been performed by a local Subaru dealer, except brake jobs,
which I felt they were just too expensive. The 4 speed automatic is very outdated, so the acceleration is slow. The newer
Legacy with the CVT seem to be a lot quicker and quieter, which I will keep in mind, for some day. The newer models also have improved technology as far as sound systems, navigation, etc. I suppose I will be ready for a more updated model in a few years. This car seems like it will go another 100,000 miles without a doubt. It's still great for the Ohio winters.

Review from Desert Environment
By iouae

2009 Subaru Legacy Sedan 2.5i 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

bought my 2.5 B sport in 2009, now it has 120K miles on it, still feels as good as new. Super reliable, and as good as it runs in snow, so it does in the desert. Corners like a dream and the power is okay.
depreciation is way lower than you would expect in this harsh environment in UAE. MPG is not that great, but who cares since Gas here is so cheap.
The only cons here are the cheap sound system they send to this region, and the air noise insulation is poor, this gets annoying since most of the time we travel on highways in Dubai!

Stability, Reliability

sound insulation, change the gearbox

Love the features, Not so much performance
By mo77

2009 Subaru Legacy Sedan 2.5i Limited 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

Owned this car 4 yrs. Up until the last few months of ownership, the car did well.
At 90+ miles, it began to have issues.
Interior features are superb. But performance is sub par.
It rolls even with good tires. I suggest getting rid of the stock Yokohama tires.
Acceleration is sluggish, probably due to the outdated 4 speed auto transmission.
Manual auto shift great in snow. Inside, not roomy at all. Even center console was too small. I was fine at 5'2", but my 6'2" husband was not comfortable. Back seat is tight. Trunk room is good.
AWD is its saving grace.

Harmon Kardon stereo (which I truly miss), Homelink, dimming rear view mirrors. Subaru remote start is a must in the Snow belt states.

I traded this car for the 2014 base model with the fog light package and paid extra for remote start. The improvements were made with the new model years: better acceleration, more room. So much improved in performance that I don't miss the bells and whistles of the limited trim level.