2009 Subaru Legacy - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Legacy model:
Love the features, Not so much performance
By mo77 on 10/30/13 09:46 AM (PDT)

2009 Subaru Legacy 2.5i Limited 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

Owned this car 4 yrs. Up until the last few months of ownership, the car did well. At 90+ miles, it began to have issues. Interior features are superb. But performance is sub par. It rolls even with good tires. I suggest getting rid of the stock Yokohama tires. Acceleration is sluggish, probably due to the outdated 4 speed auto transmission. Manual auto shift great in snow. Inside, not roomy at all. Even center console was too small. I was fine at 5'2", but my 6'2" husband was not comfortable. Back seat is tight. Trunk room is good. AWD is its saving grace.

New ERA
By Chef on 11/03/09 12:09 PM (PST)

2009 Subaru Legacy 2.5i Limited 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

Traded in my VW tdi because nobody around my area could fix it. Was used to the great mileage of a diesel but I drive a lot and being safe in the winter has its benefits as well. The car runs me 29 mpg per tankful at 90% highway driving. It is cemented to the road and I always feel in control. It is agile and fun to drive although long distances my right leg seems to fall asleep. The headlights have a horizon to them and is kind of funky going down a hill. I love the look of the inside and how the stereo is angled towards the driver as well as the placement of things, except the emergency brake and cup holders. If you are looking for a fun and safe car you should take it for a drive.

Glad we decided to test drive
By Michael on 10/08/09 20:46 PM (PDT)

2009 Subaru Legacy 2.5i Limited 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

My wife and I love our Subaru Limited. We have had it for 3 months and no buyers remorse here. Handling - no comparison with other models in its class. Steering and overall comfort is wonderful. Test drove Altima, Accord and Sonata. Though the others each had their perks and overall better gas mileage, the AWD and wonderful drive sold it for us. 3-4 MPG less was not an issue with so many other nice features. The vehicle turns on a dime and handles great in the rain. I can't wait to see how it handles under winter conditions. The HK sound system is great too but was not a reason to buy. The car sold itself for us.

Not for Seniors
By Jay R on 08/17/09 10:46 AM (PDT)

2009 Subaru Legacy 2.5i Limited 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

We have had this 1st time Subaru for 1 year and find that it is not comfortable for us older citizens. The passenger seat is very low and cannot be raised. Passenger has a difficult time exiting car because the car is set low and the seat is low. Driver, 5'11" & 175, is hard on the legs for the same reason. With seat lowered for driving comfort car it is difficult to enter and exit. MPG not up to rating for all in city driving. But, once inside the car is very good driving and fun to drive. We will go back to a Camry even though the price on the Subaru is terrific. No service problems in the year. Be sure seats are comfortable and park at a curb on your test drive.

New Legacy
By John on 07/16/09 07:47 AM (PDT)

2009 Subaru Legacy 2.5i Limited 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

My sixth Subaru (79 and 87 wagons, 81 Brat, 95 Legacy, 03 Forester). Still have the Forester and Brat. Just picked up a 2009 Legacy 2.5i Limited-$21,800-and 2.9% financing. This is a good time to get the 09 models with the new 10's coming in. Initial impressions-firm but sporty ride, seats are hard (but I am coming from a very soft seat in a Ford Explorer), drove smoothly on the 125 mile trip back from the dealer. Nice sound system from the Harmon Karden stereo. Very similar in size to my old 95 Legacy -on the smaller size of the competition but my 6-year old fits fine in the backseat in her booster seat. 22.6mpg on the drive home but that should improve with time.

Rugged, agile, attractive and a bargain
By John on 06/19/09 23:07 PM (PDT)

2009 Subaru Legacy 2.5i Limited 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

We bought this car after a whole year of online research and test drives. Completely satisfied after a month of ownership. We needed a safe car for our 5-year-old twins, and the Legacy is definitely that. It's also a real pleasure to drive. The overall impression is that it's extremely solid, but also very agile (not an easy combination). Steering is just about perfect -- responsive and precise. The engine is smooth and has good torque. Visibility is great. Simple, no hassle driving and parking. Interior design is very handsome and oozes quality. Not a large car, but big enough for a family of 4. Superior value for the money. I'll post again after driving in winter conditions.

An overlooked offering
By Chris on 02/28/09 14:26 PM (PST)

2009 Subaru Legacy 2.5i Limited 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I did a lot of research (both online and in person) before buying. Safety was a huge factor for me, so the great safety ratings and crash test results were a large part my decision. I ended up getting a 2009 Legacy Limited sedan. It handles very well. The 2009 has stability control standard. Feels pretty sporty around the curves. The AWD helps. The base engine has more than enough power for my driving habits. If you need more, get the turbo or 6 cylinder. The interior layout is great; very logical and oriented toward the driver. For a "family car" it's a fun car to drive. It's a little small compared to other midsized sedans, but is comfortable for average sized adults.

Great Buy
By DDOC on 02/15/09 07:57 AM (PST)

2009 Subaru Legacy 2.5i Limited 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

Just picked up my 2009 Legacy Limited. Impressed by just about every feature of this car. The only con that I may note would be that the vehicle has frame less windows. When you close the door you get your fingerprint smudges all over the window. Other than that it is an awesome vehicle.

Ltd
By rm on 01/04/09 06:36 AM (PST)

2009 Subaru Legacy 2.5i Limited 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

Looked at purchasing a new car for about a year. Looked at Saturn Aura, Nissan Altima, Honda Accord Coupe. The Saturn was very nice but the build quality was not that great + I didn't know if the dealership would exist in the future. The Accord coupe rode very hard, the seats were very hard + the dashboard was too busy. Hadn't considered another Subaru (have a 2005 Outback 2.5i) until I determined I didn't like the Saturn or Honda. Drove the Forester (great!) then decided getting the Legacy was a no-brainer, given the reliability of my Outback. I gave the Outback to my wife & purchased the Legacy Limited. Now we both have no problems getting to our mountain top home in the winter!

2009 Legacy is Great
By RB26301 on 12/14/08 05:30 AM (PST)

2009 Subaru Legacy 2.5i Limited 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I just got my Legacy last week and its great! It handles extremely well in the snow and even did better then my Jeep Cherokee. The car is sleek, classy and comfortable to drive.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2009 Subaru Legacy in VA is:

$128 per month*