Used 2009 Subaru Legacy 2.5i Special Edition Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Subaru Legacy - Consumer Reviews

2009 Subaru Legacy

View reviews for a specific Legacy model:

Solid sedan
By foggnm

2009 Subaru Legacy 2.5i Special Edition 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I sold a new 2012 Mazda3 which I never really fell in love with and purchased this car used with very low mileage as basic transportation. I drive about 5K per year. I wanted something I could transport my bikes and canoe on the roof. Nicely built sedan. Good handling. Not powerful at high speeds, but peppy at low and mid range. Decent trunk space that opens into back seats. Comfortable driver seat. After a 1000 miles of driving no issues, solid feel, and happy with my purchase. Mileage has been 24 city, 29 highway.

Favorite Features

All wheel drive. Overall driveability, maneuverability. Fold down rear seats. Trunk space. Sleeper image. Much better reliability than my German car.

Suggested Improvements

Power windows are a bit on the slow side, not sure if this is because they are frameless or just the motors. Needs a little better noise control over suspension.

Excellent all around
By jtanasse

2009 Subaru Legacy 2.5i Special Edition 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I reviewed 2008 and 2009 Subaru Legacys for several months before purchasing one. I also looked at Honda Civics, Accords, Toyota Camrys and Carollas. I am a very careful buyer, so I was very cautious in my decision. Ultimately, the Legacy was the clear choice. Handling is great, and mileage is better than you would expect. I have gone on two 7-hour road trips and got 34.7 mpg on the first and 35 mpg on the second. Typically, it's around 33 mpg on the highway. This is just as good as the Accord and the Camry. Unlike the Accord and Camry, though, the Legacy has AWD all the time. This is great for winters here in eastern Washington state. I love my Subaru!

Favorite Features

The design is beautiful in my opinion. I love that it gets great gas mileage even though it weighs two tons. And, of course, the AWD makes me pray for snow!

Suggested Improvements

In 9 months of driving, I can't think of any improvements needed.

I am Impressed!
By Robert Clarke

2009 Subaru Legacy 2.5i Special Edition 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I just got my Legacy a month ago and I could not be happier. We broke it in on a 3,000 mile trip to SC. It cruised through rain that had people pulling over because they could not see. We averaged 70 mph with the A/C on and the mileage was 31! Great safety with the 6 airbags and traction control. I have been told it had a 5 star rating. Great HK stereo, very quick with the 5 speed. Steering is precise and the roadholding is fantastic. I had two Audis and I like this more. Plus, if it did have a maintenance problem (which I don't think it will) it would be cheap to fix. A lot of car for 19K.

Favorite Features

I really like 99% of it!

Suggested Improvements

I know it's nitpicky, but the Yokohama Advans are a summer tire. They have a great grip, but a very low treadwear rating. With AWD I don't need such an expensive tire, all seasons would be just fine. Also, the headlights do have a sharp cutoff, I would gladly pay more for HID's.

Love my Legacy!
By New Subaru owner

2009 Subaru Legacy 2.5i Special Edition 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

When I was forced to abandon ownership of my Jetta because no one in my town was talented enough to fix it - I looked at the Subaru. I live in the mountains in NC - and thought that AWD would be a good idea. I bought a 2009 Legacy (2.5 Special Edition issue). Although the "pick up" isn't quite like my Jetta - everything else more than surpasses my expectations and desires. My favorite part is the stability - in rain (no ice yet, but am waiting for winter), the car handles hazardous road conditions like a magnet on steel. I was amazed. I also love the stereo system - especially since I can plug in my iPod. Now I can listen to Stephanie Miller podcasts on my way to work. I love my Subaru!

Favorite Features

My favorite part - the handling. It's better than my Jetta and I don't have to put 19" tires on my car anymore!! I love it. Also - I'm like a lot of other folks ~ I get 34 mpg on the highway - which is mostly where I do my driving. Amazing.

Suggested Improvements

The only thing I would suggest is for the car to have more get-up-and-go. (I guess the Jetta spoiled me - but the Subaru excels in reliability, so I can handle the slower accelerating vehicle.) At least it doesn't break down on me monthly like the Jetta did.

Awesome Buy
By Gaz

2009 Subaru Legacy 2.5i Special Edition 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

The company I work for has a few Subarus, before I worked there I would have never thought about owning one. Now, I would not have it any other way. One of the office Subarus has over 220,000+ miles on it (99 Impreza,MT) & another has 130,000+ miles on it (05 Impreza,MT)I've driven the 05 "like I stole it" too. We change the oil and rotate the tires. I chose the Legacy, a little roomier than the Impreza. I also opted for the 5 speed MT, less overall ownership cost and I control the MPG a little more than the AT, not a computer. I don't understand the mileage rating from Subaru, I read other posts and several people have pointed out that these cars can get 32-36 mpg on the hwy. I do too!

Favorite Features

The sporty drive is GREAT!! The HK stereo is awesome for a factory option, the sun roof is great and the handling is excellent. Monarch Pass, Kenosha Pas, Vail Pass, anytime of year, no problem. Where most others in its class can't, this one does.

Suggested Improvements

Slight vibrations from the HK stereo system, a little more power would be nice. More interior colors to choose from ...I have the Newport Blue Pearl, dark seats as an option would have been better with my very young kids and dogs.