2009 Subaru Legacy - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Legacy model:
Solid sedan
By foggnm on 11/19/12 11:55 AM (PST)

2009 Subaru Legacy 2.5i Special Edition 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I sold a new 2012 Mazda3 which I never really fell in love with and purchased this car used with very low mileage as basic transportation. I drive about 5K per year. I wanted something I could transport my bikes and canoe on the roof. Nicely built sedan. Good handling. Not powerful at high speeds, but peppy at low and mid range. Decent trunk space that opens into back seats. Comfortable driver seat. After a 1000 miles of driving no issues, solid feel, and happy with my purchase. Mileage has been 24 city, 29 highway.

Excellent all around
By jtanasse on 09/08/11 12:21 PM (PDT)

2009 Subaru Legacy 2.5i Special Edition 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I reviewed 2008 and 2009 Subaru Legacys for several months before purchasing one. I also looked at Honda Civics, Accords, Toyota Camrys and Carollas. I am a very careful buyer, so I was very cautious in my decision. Ultimately, the Legacy was the clear choice. Handling is great, and mileage is better than you would expect. I have gone on two 7-hour road trips and got 34.7 mpg on the first and 35 mpg on the second. Typically, it's around 33 mpg on the highway. This is just as good as the Accord and the Camry. Unlike the Accord and Camry, though, the Legacy has AWD all the time. This is great for winters here in eastern Washington state. I love my Subaru!

I am Impressed!
By Robert Clarke on 08/22/09 17:15 PM (PDT)

2009 Subaru Legacy 2.5i Special Edition 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I just got my Legacy a month ago and I could not be happier. We broke it in on a 3,000 mile trip to SC. It cruised through rain that had people pulling over because they could not see. We averaged 70 mph with the A/C on and the mileage was 31! Great safety with the 6 airbags and traction control. I have been told it had a 5 star rating. Great HK stereo, very quick with the 5 speed. Steering is precise and the roadholding is fantastic. I had two Audis and I like this more. Plus, if it did have a maintenance problem (which I don't think it will) it would be cheap to fix. A lot of car for 19K.

Love my Legacy!
By New Subaru owner on 06/19/09 10:51 AM (PDT)

2009 Subaru Legacy 2.5i Special Edition 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

When I was forced to abandon ownership of my Jetta because no one in my town was talented enough to fix it - I looked at the Subaru. I live in the mountains in NC - and thought that AWD would be a good idea. I bought a 2009 Legacy (2.5 Special Edition issue). Although the "pick up" isn't quite like my Jetta - everything else more than surpasses my expectations and desires. My favorite part is the stability - in rain (no ice yet, but am waiting for winter), the car handles hazardous road conditions like a magnet on steel. I was amazed. I also love the stereo system - especially since I can plug in my iPod. Now I can listen to Stephanie Miller podcasts on my way to work. I love my Subaru!

Awesome Buy
By Gaz on 03/02/09 21:09 PM (PST)

2009 Subaru Legacy 2.5i Special Edition 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

The company I work for has a few Subarus, before I worked there I would have never thought about owning one. Now, I would not have it any other way. One of the office Subarus has over 220,000+ miles on it (99 Impreza,MT) & another has 130,000+ miles on it (05 Impreza,MT)I've driven the 05 "like I stole it" too. We change the oil and rotate the tires. I chose the Legacy, a little roomier than the Impreza. I also opted for the 5 speed MT, less overall ownership cost and I control the MPG a little more than the AT, not a computer. I don't understand the mileage rating from Subaru, I read other posts and several people have pointed out that these cars can get 32-36 mpg on the hwy. I do too!

My first Subaru
By guitman on 01/13/09 12:48 PM (PST)

2009 Subaru Legacy 2.5i Special Edition 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

This car is fantastic. I have not had a new car since 1997. I am cheap and the Legacy sold me at a very modest price. I have not looked back. This car is sleek, handles beautifully in this Ohio snow season, is comfortable, quiet, and has a great sound system. The peace of mind from the AWD + traction control is well worth the loss in miles. Plus, I don't drive all that much anyway to worry too much about 1 or 2 mpg. Hands down best car for the price.

Another excellent Subaru
By IV on 12/21/08 19:09 PM (PST)

2009 Subaru Legacy 2.5i Special Edition 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Purchased after several years of careful research. I have a 2006 Subaru Impreza. The two cars feel quite different in spite of only 200 lb more. The Impreza (non-turbo) feels very light and agile. The Legacy is much more solid and "mature". After 20 years of driving a stick shift I cannot immediately adjust from one to another. The stick shift is the way to go and still one needs to work the gears a little more on the Legacy. Sound isolation is better. On a recent trip I got 35 mpg highway at 65 mph with a loaded car with 3 adults and luggage and 33 mpg measured at the pump at 75 mpg. City is 23 - 25 mpg. Outstanding for AWD and any midsize. Extremely stable in snowstorms. Very happy with it

What a bargain
By Subaruba on 11/09/08 17:41 PM (PST)

2009 Subaru Legacy 2.5i Special Edition 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

It is amazing to me that people do not know about this car. Comfortable, good looks, great price. I got an incredible 2 year lease. Outstanding reliability with my previous subaru. Very smooth manual, easy shifting. If you want the best performance from this engine, get the manual.

Ruby
By Staypuft on 10/13/08 10:06 AM (PDT)

2009 Subaru Legacy 2.5i Special Edition 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I picked up my Ruby Red SE on Labor day and got the same lease deal they were offering on the '08. Drove many other cars and this was love at first drive. I am a very large person but the smallish size doesn't bother me. Everything seems to be cut to fit. Quality is top notch. I have been given compliments nearly every day. My kids think it's a sports car and all the neighbors are jealous.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2009 Subaru Legacy in VA is:

$117 per month*