2008 Subaru Legacy Consumer Review: Great Value

2008 Subaru Legacy - Consumer Review

2.5 I Sedan (2.5L 4-cyl. AWD 5-speed Manual)

Great Value
By Skewed on

2008 Subaru Legacy 2.5 I 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Looked for a slightly-used Legacy GT, but they're quite rare too, so I researched the 3.0R and bought an almost-new one. Know from personal experience that the 3.0 H6 engine can go 130k miles with no more than routine maintenance. Having owned a 2002 WRX as well as a few Saabs, I can say that the 3.0R feels more like a Saab than the WRX. The WRX felt nimble and light, while the Saabs felt more solid and locked-in while cornering. For the mature driver, there's more sport than luxury but young hotshots will find its reflexes a bit slow. Great for someone who likes both Saabs and Subarus. Not much plush but a lot of function. Learning to use all the controls is worthwhile.

Favorite Features

Value. Multi-mode driveline controls (sI Drive, paddle-shifters, "tiptronic" style shifting.) Ergonomics (but I'm 5'6", 130lb). Bilstein sport suspension: firm but not harsh. Projected durability (engine goes on and on). "What is it?" effect. Interior finish. Design, both aesthetic & functional.

Suggested Improvements

Interior space expansion; already done for 2010, but why the weird wheel arches? Gas struts instead of prop rod for hood. Better hinges and finish for trunk. Tie-down fixtures in trunk. More cubbyholes on dash. Protective options (e.g. rubber covers) for rocker panels and rear bumper.