2008 Subaru Legacy Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Legacy model:
Satisfied to a degree
By Peter Z on 10/11/07 10:52 AM (PDT)

2008 Subaru Legacy Sedan 2.5 I Special Edition 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

The power windows are too slow. The AC system modulates too frequently and never seems to get cold. Gas mileage is not that good. However, the fun to drive, especially for a 4 banger, is pretty decent.

Great value for an AWD Sports Sedan!
By Gary on 09/30/07 06:30 AM (PDT)

2008 Subaru Legacy Sedan 2.5 GT Limited 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I have been looking for an AWD Japanese sedan with a manual transmission for a few years after having an Audi A6 and then a BMW 325xi both with reliablility issues. Subaru finally had enough of the amenities with the 2008 Limited GT Turbo model for me to make the purchase. What a value! The car is more fun to drive than the BMW, much faster, and hopefully will be more reliable. With discounts and rebates, the car is approximately $12,000 less than a similarly equipped 2008 325xi. The car handles really nicely, much easier clutch than the BMW. I've had it now for 2 months and absolutely no regrets. I added an aftermarket bluetooth kit which fit nicely in the space for the navigation.

A 3 series beater
By BZ on 09/26/07 10:11 AM (PDT)

2008 Subaru Legacy Sedan 2.5 GT Limited 4dr Sedan AWD w/VDC (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

Researched small AWD sport sedans for over 3 months and drove the Audi A4, BMW 328i, Acura TSX, Lexus IS 250 and Volvo 2.5. The Legacy GT out performs all of them at a price that is $10,000 less than the 3 series. Build quality is superb, and the ride is extremely quiet for a 3200 pound sedan. The negatives are: the rear seat is a tad firm, but more than adequate for anyone less than 6 feet on an all day trip and lack of storage compartments. This is my second Subaru (the first being a forester, which has 71,000 miles on it, and has been trouble free). The Legacy GT is quick, quiet and handles superbly - a truly remarkable car at an attractive price, compared to its competition.

2008 Subaru Legacy
By Plain Jane on 09/17/07 06:37 AM (PDT)

2008 Subaru Legacy Sedan 2.5 I Limited 4dr Sedan AWD w/VDC (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

We found this car to have the best turning ratio out there and the four wheel drvie exceeds all our expectations. Purchased the Limited to get the stability control system for added confidence. The dark brown color with the high metallic flake is awesome. Standard competitors lost us in favor of the Legacy uniqueness and safety at the best overall value and price of those other cars shopped.

02 WRX to 08 Legacy GT
By Dave C on 09/13/07 15:04 PM (PDT)

2008 Subaru Legacy Sedan 2.5 GT Limited 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Traded in '02 WRX on '08 Legacy GT. The GT is roomier, with much better features (leather, sunroof, auto AC, auto trunk, XM, auto mirror), much quieter, and only cost $2K more than my WRX did 6 years ago. As quick as my WRX 0-60, same cornering G, but simply not as fun to drive. However, this is a much easier car to live with (quiet), and everybody who rides in it loves it. Quality is same or better than WRX - outstanding. Other than for clutch, never had a problem with the WRX in 75K miles (never even touched the brakes!). I'm looking forward to a similar experience with the Legacy GT.

2008 LGT 5M Dark Grey Metallic
By Matt on 09/10/07 13:03 PM (PDT)

2008 Subaru Legacy Sedan 2.5 GT Limited 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Purchased an 08 LGT 5m about a month ago. So far the car has been great. I give it good mpg ratings as my current truck gets about 11 mpg. I was really surprised to get ~26.8 mpg on a 360 mile trip on country roads driving somewhat spirited, this was before the motor has even broken in. I really like the solid quiet interior. The perforated leather seats are great and supportive. Clutch feel is solid thus far and is very easy to drive.

Nice sleeper
By kalmanzar on 09/08/07 22:57 PM (PDT)

2008 Subaru Legacy Sedan 2.5 I Special Edition 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Wonderful bargin, great suspension and ride quality, solid, and handles really well. Power is pretty good for 4banger. Recommend the 5sp., drove auto and it felt slow. A little bit on the small side. A little bit bland styling, but clean lines. Car feels and drives more expensive than it is. Would recommend.

Good Car for the Money
By a4b5 on 08/25/07 06:57 AM (PDT)

I have owned two Audis and one VW over the last several years and gave up that family due to reliability problems with all three cars. The GT seems like a car with many of the features of the Audi world for less money. Interior is certainly better than most cars in its class, but not quite up to Audi / VW standards. Performance: still unsure about the automatic transmission. This is my first automatic in several years and I'm having trouble adjusting. It's nice when stuck in traffic, but it does take some of the fun out of the car. The paddle shifters help make up for some of that; even when in drive you can quickly downshift without having to change into manualmatic mode.

Great commuter car
By Elf72 on 07/31/07 05:52 AM (PDT)

2008 Subaru Legacy Sedan 2.5 I Limited 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

This is my second Subaru - I traded in my Forester when I moved 90 minutes from work as I wanted more creature comforts for the long commute. This car does not disappoint. Smooth ride, great gas mileage, and the Limited's upgraded interior makes the trip comfortable as well. Plus, when winter hits, if the AWD works as well as it did in the Forester, I'm all set.

Great deal but kinda slow
By motodude on 07/26/07 18:35 PM (PDT)

I just traded my beloved 05 WRX wagon in due to a foot injury that made shifting the manual trans difficult. I was looking at the 6-cyl 3.0R model, then I drove it... really slow! The 2.5GT was quite a bit faster but still much slower than my WRX. Ah well, the Legacy IS a heavier car and it has an auto trans. I do like the 5-speed auto for what it's worth, and the paddle shifters are a cool touch. The SI-Drive feature is a bit gimmicky really, as the three different maps aren't too much different. You still need to put your foot down to get good speed with the Sport Sharp mode. Interior quality is top-notch and the ride is smooth and quiet otherwise. Happy to own my second Subie!

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2008 Subaru Legacy Sedan in VA is:

$118 per month*