Used 2008 Subaru Legacy Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Subaru Legacy - Consumer Reviews

2008 Subaru Legacy Sedan

View reviews for a specific Legacy model:

Best buy for the buck
By Corey

2008 Subaru Legacy Sedan 2.5 I 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

The Subaru Legacy 2.5l boxer engine has to be one of the better small size engines on the market today. Besides delivering almost 30 mpg on the high way it can pack a little punch if pushed to its limits. It's more fun to drive than anything I test drove (which included Toyota awd matrix, Nissan altima, Honda accord). The all wheel drive is superb. Anything from heavy rains to deep snow is no match for the symmetric all wheel drive. Last its not cheap by any means but for what you get it is one hell of a deal.

Favorite Features

Electro-illuminescent gauges add a european flare and give the car a more refined feel. The seats hold you in place.

Suggested Improvements

Place a thin stripping on top of the window to better protect it possibly leaking into the car or potentially breaking the glass itself

Poor man's Audi
By sam

2008 Subaru Legacy Sedan 2.5 I 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Great car for Colorado. Does great in the snow and I get good MPG. I can chase BMW Xis and Audi A4s all day to the ski resorts, I might not be as fast as they are, but I can handle all the sludge on the road with easy and knowing that I can buy 2 Subarus for the price of one BMW or Audi it makes me smile when i park next to them. Great everyday car at a price that doesn't make you hate yourself every month! I think it will hold its value better as well! I'm getting 27 mpg with a space box on the roof. Would recommend this car to anybody that needs AWD!

Favorite Features

AWD! Great fit and finish! It's the best looking Subaru yet!

Suggested Improvements

Better radio. Wish I could get a 6-speed!

Stealth AWD sedan
By Sleepy

2008 Subaru Legacy Sedan 2.5 GT spec.B 4dr Sedan AWD w/Navi, VDC (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

The Spec B is a great low profile performance sedan. The Euros can't match the performance or reliability for the money. Add snow tires (the stock Bridgestones are summer only) for winter and you have an unstoppable all season sport sedan. Having owned a Mercedes C230 and a BMW 328i, I can say the Subaru is much more fun to drive.

Favorite Features

AWD, Turbo boxer engine.

Suggested Improvements

Bluetooth

Drove in snow for first time!
By Granby

2008 Subaru Legacy Sedan 2.5 I Special Edition 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I just drove my Legacy that I bought in April in snow for the first time and it is unbelievable! My driveway had over a foot of snow in the driveway and I just plowed right through it! Can't put a price on that. I've been very pleased with this car since the day I bought it, but seeing it perform in these conditions makes me LOVE this car.

Favorite Features

AWD

Like a Miata with 4 doors & AWD
By SubyConvert

2008 Subaru Legacy Sedan 2.5 GT Limited 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

When I bought an Acura TL a year ago, the Legacy was my second choice. I recently reversed that decision and traded the TL for the Suby. What a difference! I love the sports car handling and the AWD because I live in a part of Canada that gets a lot of snow in winter. It's the first car I've looked forward to driving every day since I sold my Miata. Acceleration is impressive in sport sharp mode. My TL had crazy, dangerous torque steer when accelerating hard in corners. The Suby is tight, predictable, with a slight rear wheel bias. The interior looks great and fits me well, except for the arm rest (needed to get the extender). Bluetooth would be nice, but shouldn't talk on the phone anyway.

Favorite Features

Handling, acceleration, great AWD traction, refined interior, grippy leather, tight turning radius, great value, great looking alloy wheels, perfect clutch feel, low center of gravity, 3 personalities with iDrive. I've owned about 40 cars in my life. This could be my favorite.

Suggested Improvements

Nutty location for heated seat switches, average mileage, JDM grill looks much better, wimpy styling below front bumper, shifter slightly too far to reach, needs DSC on GT manual, engine noise is somewhat unrefined but I keep telling myself the boxer engine sounds like a Porsche (all minor stuff)