Used 2008 Subaru Legacy Sedan Consumer Reviews - 106 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Subaru Legacy Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Legacy model:

Happily Pre-Owned
By gioguy21

2008 Subaru Legacy Sedan 2.5 I Special Edition 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

So far I've owned my Legacy for a little over a month and I have to say it's by far the best car I've ever owned. I was in the market for a car that was great on the highway (safe/mpg/fun to drive) since I drive an hour each day to and from work. I will surely be purchasing another Subaru whenever this one bites the dust hopefully a long time from now. I love the sound system, was able to tweak the quality of the speakers through my ipod, the moonroof is wonderful and the car handles like it's on rails. I highly recommend anyone that wants a great car at a great price, pre-owned might be the way to go. Low miles for 5k cheaper than new a year old?...be stupid not to.

Cruise, moonroof, stereo, HUGE trunk for golf clubs

Audio controls on the steering wheel, a fifth gear, turn signals on mirrors, standard fogs

Ticking When Turning the Engine Off
By Dolly

2008 Subaru Legacy Sedan 2.5 I 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I bought a 2008 used Subaru Legacy with 20,000 miles on it in March 2009. The only complaint I have is that after I drive it and then turn the engine off, it makes a ticking sound for approx 20 secs as though the engine is cooling down. I never heard this sound in other cars I've owned, so it's new to me. I'm wondering if anyone else has had this problem, and if it's common. The dealer said it's the engine cooling, but I'm leery of it. The engine sounds more like a cheap car and is not as quiet when started or when driving. I've owned a Honda and Dodge, Intrepid and they seemed more sturdier than the Subaru Legacy.

Interior, outside exterior.

No red lights on inside dash. Looks cheap.

Honest/ Informed Review
By I Stewart

2008 Subaru Legacy Sedan 3.0 R Limited 4dr Sedan AWD w/Navi, VDC (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

While the 3.0R boasts a larger engine and more hp, it actually has less lb/foot of torque than its 2.5GT counterpart; translating to 7 tenths of a second from 0-60. The acclaimed S/I drive is amusing, if not practical. In sport mode acceleration is noticeably boosted from intelligent mode. Paddle-shifting is also available in sport sharp, though its more burdensome than liberating. Paddle-shift levers, S/I drive console, and Navigation system all contribute to the impressive interior. Even after the romance fades, the controls are insightful and convenient. This car may be your best choice if: a. you drive in all-weather conditions b. you purchase used at a discount

The 3.0R's best feature is not unique. All Subaru's are endowed with excellent symmetrical AWD. The 3.0R offers Subaru's AWD in a more refined and elegant package, setting it apart from other Legacy and Impreza models. The wheels, though not a practical benefit, complete the look nicely.

This car was created to be the best of two worlds: Sport and Luxury. While it contains features from both realms, it excels at neither. Suspension is stiff, almost to the point of discomfort. Sound is average. In Suby's "flagship" I would expect more. Price: 2.5GT is faster and cheaper.

So far so good
By pikers

2008 Subaru Legacy Sedan 2.5 I Limited 4dr Sedan AWD w/VDC (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I was lucky enough to get the last '08 on the lot and I got leather, heated seats, heated mirrors, heated wipers, 6 disc changer and auto climate control! This is easily the nicest car I've ever owned. Fit and finish and quality of materials is amazing. My girlfriend's mom has a 328xi and I honestly think this car is nicer inside and out. Bottom line, try a Legacy before you go for an Audi, BMW, or Lexus... you may be surprised.

AWD, heated goodies (seats, wipers, mirrors), transmission. The transmission has auto, sport, and a shiftable gate.

I'd like just a tad more headroom. I'm 6'4" and my head comes uncomfortably close to the roof. The stereo in this car is pretty weak. It would be nice if Subaru used a standard stereo size for aftermarket options. MPG is OK considering what it is, but I think they could do a little better.

The Best
By Karl

2008 Subaru Legacy Sedan 2.5 I Limited 4dr Sedan AWD w/VDC (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I waited to post a review of this car until we had time to really evaluate it. After 9 mos. & nearly 11K miles we are very satisfied. The interior is the best, period. Its design looks better than any luxury sedan on the market. Handling is very good but you give up a soft ride for it. We average about 30 mpg at 80 mph and 23 around town. Still feels solid and has been totally trouble free. We drove Audi A4, BMW 3, Jag X, Volvo S40 & S60. Simply this car felt better and looked better too. If you want an awd car that is reliable, economical, and near luxury, this is the one. Leather is nice, stereo is okay but wish it had steering mounted controls (fixed in 2009). Highly recommend.

AWD, great interior design, comfortable even on long trips. Reliability and economy with a touch of luxury.

Not bad but could be a little quieter. Some tire noise at higher speeds. Steering mounted audio controls. That's it!