Used 2008 Subaru Legacy Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Subaru Legacy - Consumer Reviews

2008 Subaru Legacy

View reviews for a specific Legacy model:

Best car I have ever owned
By Tommyo

2008 Subaru Legacy 2.5 I Special Edition 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I purchased my Legacy with 6400 miles on it. The dealer told me it was a program car and that an executive from Subaru headquarters in Mass drove it. Come to find out it was a rental car. I bought this car because its safety, style, comfort, AWD, and because I did not want to be another guy driving in a cookie cutter car (Camry, Accord). This car has good pick up same as Camry, Accord. Same MPG too darn good for AWD. The Subie suspension is great. Nice balance of ride and handling. The boxer engine also is silky smooth and sounds good too. A boxer engine the pistons are horizontally opposed. Same as Porsche boxer design has lower center of gravity better handling, best value for its class.

Favorite Features

power seat, seat comfort, telescoping wheel, stereo, boxer engine, choice of performance and economy transmission mode, driving position, visibility. Secure feel in all weather conditions. 5 star crash test rating, MPG, mini computer, tells you outside temp, average mpg, elapsed time

Suggested Improvements

ten more horsepower

Sold on Subaru
By rich man

2008 Subaru Legacy 2.5 I Special Edition 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I bought a Subaru because I like the performance & handling of a German car but wanted the reliability & value of a Japanese car. I got exactly that. The only problem in two years has been a dash rattle that the dealer fixed with a foam jam (I know, but it's not a luxury brand). It would be nice to get over 30 mpg's, but the trade-off is outstanding traction, performance and safety. Having survived a serious accident, safety is a major concern of mine. No regrets here. This is my first Subaru and I know it will be hard to talk myself into buying anything else again.

Favorite Features

All-weather traction. Performance and handling. Design/styling; inside and out. Comfortable seats. Fold-down rear seat. Excellent visibility; no blind spots.

Suggested Improvements

Faster response time for passing. More storage in the console area. Improved sound insulation.

I'm dating up!
By karl williams

2008 Subaru Legacy 2.5 I Limited 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

Okay, I almost feel guilty for driving this car. I luckily found it used because you don't see a "used" Subaru very long on the lot (especially as nice as this one) and I've been looking. I feel bad because it is soooo good. I have two friends who drive new BMW's and I can easily keep up with the Jones'. This car does everything well, including looking the part of a luxury sport sedan. Very fun to drive, handles well, and fuel economy is great for AWD. Speaking of AWD...it is wonderful in the rain..can't wait for snow. I am dating up because this car has hot looks and delivers performance even for a 4 cyl. When I tell people what I paid...they are filled with jealousy. Don't miss out!

Favorite Features

Interior fit and finish! Exterior sporty look...then there is the AWD factor.

Suggested Improvements

Could dampen the road noise a bit. Would be cool for "home link" type technology for garage door opening. A bit more storage features in the cabin.

Couldn't be happier
By j4106

2008 Subaru Legacy 2.5 I 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

After one year, and 25000 miles, I couldn't be happier. I drive 30 to and from work over a 7000 ft+ mountain summit to a city that has 3 of the top 10 ski resorts in the country within 5 miles. Naturally, traction is a concern. After having a Honda Civic Si and snow tires, I will never be without quality winter tires again because getting going is one thing, stopping is another, and the Legacy does both brilliantly when properly equipped. I confidently and safely got where I was going (and passed so many 4WD trucks and SUV's I couldn't even venture a guess at a number). I am so glad I bought this car.

Favorite Features

AWD for sure. Love the AUX input on the stereo. Unlike some of the reviews, I think the stereo sounds great. I love that the rear speakers are in the doors rather than the behind the seats. I can have the stereo at a level everyone can hear yet still talk to people in the backseat.

Suggested Improvements

The paint is a little soft, but I haven't seen a car built after about 2002 that doesn't have the same problem... my understanding is that they can no longer use lead in it.

Happily Pre-Owned
By gioguy21

2008 Subaru Legacy 2.5 I Special Edition 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

So far I've owned my Legacy for a little over a month and I have to say it's by far the best car I've ever owned. I was in the market for a car that was great on the highway (safe/mpg/fun to drive) since I drive an hour each day to and from work. I will surely be purchasing another Subaru whenever this one bites the dust hopefully a long time from now. I love the sound system, was able to tweak the quality of the speakers through my ipod, the moonroof is wonderful and the car handles like it's on rails. I highly recommend anyone that wants a great car at a great price, pre-owned might be the way to go. Low miles for 5k cheaper than new a year old?...be stupid not to.

Favorite Features

Cruise, moonroof, stereo, HUGE trunk for golf clubs

Suggested Improvements

Audio controls on the steering wheel, a fifth gear, turn signals on mirrors, standard fogs