2008 Subaru Legacy Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Legacy model:
Waiting for bad weather
By Al Schnering on 07/18/07 08:55 AM (PDT)

2008 Subaru Legacy Sedan 2.5 I Limited 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

Car so far seems very solid, takes the curves very nice. We are looking for mileage and safe driving in bad weather.

Best AWD Sedan Available for the Money
By subaruconvert on 07/13/07 19:24 PM (PDT)

2008 Subaru Legacy Sedan 2.5 GT spec.B 4dr Sedan AWD w/Navi, VDC (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

The spec.B is worth the premium over the 5 spd GT; much better handling, better tranny / shifter, better wheels / tires, nicer interior. An "adult muscle car" that will also excel in bad weather. Mileage is right at the EPA of 17 for city cycle after 500 miles of mostly urban commute, and I'm not always easy on the throttle. Performance could be called "stealth": quiet and comfortable until you hamnmer it! After comparing to the G35X, A4 3.2L, Passat 4Motion and Mazdaspeed 6, this car is the clear winner to me with great build quality, performance, balance of ride and handling and the ability to get a 6M tranny vs. an auto.

Won me over eventually
By couleeman on 07/12/07 14:15 PM (PDT)

2008 Subaru Legacy Sedan 2.5 I Limited 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

Replacing a truly wonderful Mazda 6S, I resisted the Outback wagons opting instead for the understated 2.5i limited sedan. The ride is unusually smooth and the center of gravity very low. I'm most surprised by the transmission, however. Though its only a 4 speed, it's got enough low end torque for darting around town and an easy, relaxed cruising gear. I get 29 mpg average, impressive especially considering the AWD. Inside, it's in another class compared to the competition: quiet, elegant and everything is within easy reach, and the jewel-like instrument cluster is very classy. But best of all, the symmetrical AWD is just incredible and has a well-deserved reputation.

2008 Subary Legacy 3.0R
By tdoggydog on 07/08/07 20:16 PM (PDT)

2008 Subaru Legacy Sedan 3.0 R Limited 4dr Sedan AWD w/Navi, VDC (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

This is a great car - rides smooth, corners well, sounds great! Can't wait to open her up after the 1K mile break- in period with the Sport Sharp mode. Everywhere I go people are asking "What's that?" and are amazed at not only the style, but the features, performance and out-the-door cost. This is my first Subie and I think I'm going to be a lifelong customer.

Still getting a feel for the LGT spec B
By CC1977 on 07/05/07 16:07 PM (PDT)

Been car shopping for a long, long time. Looked at almost everything out there, MBs, BMWs, Evos, Stis, etc. Saw an 06 LGT spec B and wasn't completely sold on the interior color. When the 07s came out I was disappointed by the blue inserts. 08 rolled around and finally an all black interior! So far with about 500 miles on it I am still happy. With the 6spd I am having problems finding the right gear at the right time (used to 5 spds). 1st and 2nd seem kinda gutless. It's annoying to have keep putting the car into sport sharp.

'98 2.5RS to '08 spec.b
By arkay4 on 06/20/07 00:50 AM (PDT)

Owned and loved a 2.5RS since '97! Very agile car and wonderful off roads but it had missing features when the kids came: folding seats, tiny backseat, latches, high profile trunk (cargo nightmare), stripped interior. Looked at the 328ix, LS 350, Evo, STi, TT, G35, 6s. All great but the spec.b outperformed and had everything I wanted on my RS. "The WRX's older brother," a lot of punch with significantly more sophistication. Interior features and ride make this a serious luxury car with a kick. The spec.b was not designed to be as rugged as the RS (my off trail days on hold!) but I'm very happy with my purchase and ecstatic now that I've had it for 6 weeks and booked 4-digit miles :)

Big Improvement over My Honda!
By 1stSubaru on 05/31/07 12:00 PM (PDT)

2008 Subaru Legacy Sedan 2.5 I Limited 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I love this car! I looked at many cars over several weeks and decided that the Subaru Legacy was the best value for performance, safety, and comfort. The car is quiet, smooth, and so elegant inside. I have so much fun driving the car. It has the handling of a European sedan and the reliability of a Japanese car. I recently drove the car during heavy rain and flooding - it maintained its stability like a tank. I'm very happy with my decision. If you are considering an Accord or Camry, don't make a decision until you try the Legacy. You'll be shocked by the difference!

Great Car
By Lil'B on 05/30/07 21:09 PM (PDT)

What a great car. My wife and I have been looking for a car for her for quite some time. We tested MB C Class, BMW 3s and Audi A4s. The Subaru by far out classed them on the roadways. Its handling in our opinion matched or outperformed the others. Its comfort is amazing and the power is wonderful. The 243 HP feels strong and you never need more. The car handles superbly at highway speeds and is even better in the curves. What a great car and I would recommend it to anyone. My next car will definitely be a Subaru.

Underrated Camry or Accord alternative
By dinomartini on 05/20/07 16:53 PM (PDT)

We purchased our Legacy GT Spec B in March after looking at it at the auto show and at the dealership. The interior is very well designed, great seats (heated is a nice touch), everywhere you feel there are no gaps, it's a very well put together car. The 6 speed makes it a very fun car to drive with the turbo 4. Easy to manuever around town, very capable highway cruiser.

Great car for the price
By saad786 on 05/17/07 20:29 PM (PDT)

2008 Subaru Legacy Sedan 2.5 I Limited 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

This car has everthing you want and the quality of material they used is worth its price. Handling is really smooth, gas mileage is not that bad but it's not that great, that what you would expect from AWD car anyway. Over all I love this car because of the shape and features that it offers for the price.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2008 Subaru Legacy Sedan in NJ is:

$204 per month*