Used 2008 Subaru Legacy Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Subaru Legacy Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Legacy model:

Great family sedan!!
By brianq727

2008 Subaru Legacy Sedan 2.5 I 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

What a wonderful car this Subaru is. I have a 2.5i with a sunroof and leather added. Nothing but reliable no problems up to 60K only oil changes and brakes. The interior is a bit small for a family if four so it must go but I would buy another if I had to. AWD is amazing in these Subarus and gives confidence in the rain (I live in Florida so we see a lot of it). Overall great car, highly recommend!

Steering wheel controls. Everything is straightforward and simple.

OEM tires didn't last long. Could be a little quicker.

Great Car until 85,000 miles, then it started to fall apart.
By chk34kk

2008 Subaru Legacy Sedan 2.5 I Special Edition 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I really tried to love Subaru and become a lifetime buyer of there cars. My 2008 legacy provided me with great awd traction, great highway mpg 30+, low maintenance costs. The negatives started at 85,000 miles, head gasket leak, end links failure provided very loud clunking noises, power steering pump wine, heat shield rattle at start up, door panel clunking, dashboard clunking. The problems started in June 2014 and by September I gave up on the car after I realized I have the dreaded Subaru head gasket leak. The car also became a rattle box inside after about 80,000 miles which surprised me. I planned on keeping the car to well over 100,000 miles. City mpg was also sub-par 17-19mpg.

Sunroof, great audio system, comfortable seats, quality paint, projector head lights, big trunk, alloy rims.

Horrible acceleration, 170hp and awd the car is very slow. Improve head gasket design, no one wants to spend $1,500 at 85,000 miles to repair oil leaks. Improve materials inside, the car was a rattle box very early on in its life. Improve city mpg, only was getting 17-19mpg in the city winter driving and very easy on the pedal.

Traded after 20k Miles
By yit

2008 Subaru Legacy Sedan 2.5 I Special Edition 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I loved my Legacy. Bought it used with 70k miles and traded it with 90k, after the windshield wiper motors went out, the back door handle broke, the wheel bearings need replaced, replaced both oxygen sensors, and the catalytic converter (went out around 88k miles, 8k miles after the emissions warranty went out of effect.) It began to be a money pit. Performance was good, the engine has some power between 3k-4k RPM but is hindered by the outdated 4 speed automatic. AWD was a life saver in the snow. Drove it though 11" of snow and didn't get stuck once. MPG was better than EPA estimates, 95% highway driving returned a consistent 28-29 MPG. If it was more reliable, I would still have it!

AWD, engine note, premium looks, unique car

Reliability and transmission

Good, reliable car
By darthbateman

2008 Subaru Legacy Sedan 2.5 I 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I've owned this car for about 3 years and have put around 20,000 miles on it, including two trips from central Florida to Savannah, GA (about 700 miles round trip). I've enjoyed my time with this car. It has been very reliable, never been in the shop except for a door light issue (which was caused by the dealership). My only real complaint is the interior space. The back seat isn't really made for anyone 6 feet tall or over. Neither is the front seat, for that matter. I'm just under 6 feet and I have to keep the seat all the way back. But, if you're looking for a car that will never go wrong, this is it. I average about 18 MPG in the city and about 26 on the highway at less than 70mph.

All wheel drive, great air conditioner, comfortable seats, styling, reliability, resale value

Most things I would complain about have been addressed in the 2010 redesign. Rear seat air vents, bigger trunk, more interior space, wind noise due to frameless windows, audio controls on steering wheel

Undercover blast
By custom_junky

2008 Subaru Legacy Sedan 2.5 GT spec.B 4dr Sedan AWD w/Navi, VDC (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

This is my second Subaru Legacy, the first one being a 2005 2.5i Limited 5-spd. Liked the chassis so much I decided to get a Spec. B version, if for nothing else the extremely strong 6-spd tranny and drive train over the GT models. The Si-Drive allows simple daily driving as well. The interior is as expected, nav, aux-in radio, heated front seats and soft touch areas where needed.

Turbo'd flat four. This has to be the show piece of this vehicle, although most would never know about it. This 6-spd manual is also worth noting, clean and crisp shifts, and very precise. The steering is light and intuitive. All who have driven this car have commented about its pickup and how easy it is to drive. Last, but not least, the pedal placement is fabulous. Took a little to get used to heel-toe, but now that I got it the placement makes since.

There is one suggestion, the interior. Bluetooth would have been nice, but not mandatory. The nav system has some poorly implemented gimmicks. On the nav, they have a gauge screen that monitors throttle position, average mpg, and instant mpg. These are fine, but you have this information already within the gauge cluster in front of you. It would have been much better to have a boost gauge, oil pressure, and maybe a g-meter. Last but not least, my biggest complaint, the location of the heated seat switches needs to be moved forward!