Used 2008 Subaru Legacy 2.5 GT Limited Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Subaru Legacy - Consumer Reviews

2008 Subaru Legacy

View reviews for a specific Legacy model:

buying a preowned Legacy GT
By darrrel

2008 Subaru Legacy 2.5 GT Limited 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

i was in the market for a fun to drive sedan. i poured over online reviews, Consumer Reports and generally obsessed over this for about a year. I test drove new BMW 325, Civic Si, Legacy GT, Saab 93, Infinity G, Mazda Speed3, Mitsu Lancer etc...just about everything. At the local Subie dealership they had a preowned 2008 GT. It was love at first drive. So i did a bunch of research and bought it --$20K with 30K miles. I thought it was a great deal...0 buyers remorse. Every time I drive this car I absolutely looooove it...it handles great...is super fast in S# mode, and a dream in the rain. i love the 3 engine modes -- I, S and S#. Subaru certified it - got 100k bumper to bumper for $800.

Favorite Features

3 driving modes I, S and S#

Suggested Improvements

hate the fake wood trim inside ...ugh. better stereo , although it's fine

Like a Miata with 4 doors & AWD
By SubyConvert

2008 Subaru Legacy 2.5 GT Limited 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

When I bought an Acura TL a year ago, the Legacy was my second choice. I recently reversed that decision and traded the TL for the Suby. What a difference! I love the sports car handling and the AWD because I live in a part of Canada that gets a lot of snow in winter. It's the first car I've looked forward to driving every day since I sold my Miata. Acceleration is impressive in sport sharp mode. My TL had crazy, dangerous torque steer when accelerating hard in corners. The Suby is tight, predictable, with a slight rear wheel bias. The interior looks great and fits me well, except for the arm rest (needed to get the extender). Bluetooth would be nice, but shouldn't talk on the phone anyway.

Favorite Features

Handling, acceleration, great AWD traction, refined interior, grippy leather, tight turning radius, great value, great looking alloy wheels, perfect clutch feel, low center of gravity, 3 personalities with iDrive. I've owned about 40 cars in my life. This could be my favorite.

Suggested Improvements

Nutty location for heated seat switches, average mileage, JDM grill looks much better, wimpy styling below front bumper, shifter slightly too far to reach, needs DSC on GT manual, engine noise is somewhat unrefined but I keep telling myself the boxer engine sounds like a Porsche (all minor stuff)

This car is great!
By Woodyboy

2008 Subaru Legacy 2.5 GT Limited 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

In 34 years I have owned a lot of sports cars and SUVs. The Subaru GT is my favorite. It provides almost sports car like power and handling. It rides like a comfortable sedan. It takes the Utah snow without any drama. I get 28 mpg hwy and 22 mpg around town according to the trip computer. That includes jumping on it a little. I am considering installing the SPT exhaust system, heat shield and high flow exhaust. The factory quotes 30HP and 30 ft-lb torque gains.

Favorite Features

Engine, sunroof, comfort, handling, AWD

Suggested Improvements

One minor complaint. The interior needs more storage. They could move the I drive control and gain a little. The seat heaters should be moved forward and the armrest extension should incorporate storage.

2008 Subaru Legacy
By wrx-man

2008 Subaru Legacy 2.5 GT Limited 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Just bought it... already have a 100 miles on it and I am very impressed. I have owned an Audi A6 2.7T, VW GTI and GLX, a Maxima 3.5L SE, and my other car is a '02 WRX. This car is one of the best I have driven especially for the price. If I wasn't looking at the Subaru badge, I would have sworn I was driving a BMW or an Audi (dashboard, leather seats, etc). This car is great on the highway and still firm enough to have fun on the twisty roads. I was averaging 28 mpg on the highway with a new engine with less than 100 miles. Germany should be afraid with the performance of the Legacy and the proven reliability of Subaru. I recommend a test drive of the GT, you will not be disappointed

Favorite Features

Firm, but not harsh suspension. The aux jack for MP3s is great. Clean layout of the dashboard. The interior of the car is very neat and logical. It is just fun to drive.

Suggested Improvements

The clutch pedals seems close to the brake, but I have big feet. The A/C controls need to be a little higher in the dash, but that is minor.

Great value for an AWD Sports Sedan!
By Gary

2008 Subaru Legacy 2.5 GT Limited 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I have been looking for an AWD Japanese sedan with a manual transmission for a few years after having an Audi A6 and then a BMW 325xi both with reliablility issues. Subaru finally had enough of the amenities with the 2008 Limited GT Turbo model for me to make the purchase. What a value! The car is more fun to drive than the BMW, much faster, and hopefully will be more reliable. With discounts and rebates, the car is approximately $12,000 less than a similarly equipped 2008 325xi. The car handles really nicely, much easier clutch than the BMW. I've had it now for 2 months and absolutely no regrets. I added an aftermarket bluetooth kit which fit nicely in the space for the navigation.

Favorite Features

Manual transmission with AWD!

Suggested Improvements

HVAC system could use some refinement. It switches from hot to cold a little too frequently. Arm rest could be a little longer towards the front.