2008 Subaru Legacy - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Legacy model:
Great Car until 85,000 miles, then it started to fall apart.
By chk34kk on 09/28/14 10:15 AM (PDT)

2008 Subaru Legacy 2.5 I Special Edition 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I really tried to love Subaru and become a lifetime buyer of there cars. My 2008 legacy provided me with great awd traction, great highway mpg 30+, low maintenance costs. The negatives started at 85,000 miles, head gasket leak, end links failure provided very loud clunking noises, power steering pump wine, heat shield rattle at start up, door panel clunking, dashboard clunking. The problems started in June 2014 and by September I gave up on the car after I realized I have the dreaded Subaru head gasket leak. The car also became a rattle box inside after about 80,000 miles which surprised me. I planned on keeping the car to well over 100,000 miles. City mpg was also sub-par 17-19mpg.

Traded after 20k Miles
By yit on 09/11/14 12:45 PM (PDT)

2008 Subaru Legacy 2.5 I Special Edition 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I loved my Legacy. Bought it used with 70k miles and traded it with 90k, after the windshield wiper motors went out, the back door handle broke, the wheel bearings need replaced, replaced both oxygen sensors, and the catalytic converter (went out around 88k miles, 8k miles after the emissions warranty went out of effect.) It began to be a money pit. Performance was good, the engine has some power between 3k-4k RPM but is hindered by the outdated 4 speed automatic. AWD was a life saver in the snow. Drove it though 11" of snow and didn't get stuck once. MPG was better than EPA estimates, 95% highway driving returned a consistent 28-29 MPG. If it was more reliable, I would still have it!

Good, reliable car
By darthbateman on 01/16/14 07:39 AM (PST)

2008 Subaru Legacy 2.5 I 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I've owned this car for about 3 years and have put around 20,000 miles on it, including two trips from central Florida to Savannah, GA (about 700 miles round trip). I've enjoyed my time with this car. It has been very reliable, never been in the shop except for a door light issue (which was caused by the dealership). My only real complaint is the interior space. The back seat isn't really made for anyone 6 feet tall or over. Neither is the front seat, for that matter. I'm just under 6 feet and I have to keep the seat all the way back. But, if you're looking for a car that will never go wrong, this is it. I average about 18 MPG in the city and about 26 on the highway at less than 70mph.

Undercover blast
By custom_junky on 10/16/12 11:25 AM (PDT)

2008 Subaru Legacy 2.5 GT spec.B 4dr Sedan AWD w/Navi, VDC (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

This is my second Subaru Legacy, the first one being a 2005 2.5i Limited 5-spd. Liked the chassis so much I decided to get a Spec. B version, if for nothing else the extremely strong 6-spd tranny and drive train over the GT models. The Si-Drive allows simple daily driving as well. The interior is as expected, nav, aux-in radio, heated front seats and soft touch areas where needed.

buying a preowned Legacy GT
By darrrel on 01/31/12 07:08 AM (PST)

2008 Subaru Legacy 2.5 GT Limited 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

i was in the market for a fun to drive sedan. i poured over online reviews, Consumer Reports and generally obsessed over this for about a year. I test drove new BMW 325, Civic Si, Legacy GT, Saab 93, Infinity G, Mazda Speed3, Mitsu Lancer etc...just about everything. At the local Subie dealership they had a preowned 2008 GT. It was love at first drive. So i did a bunch of research and bought it --$20K with 30K miles. I thought it was a great deal...0 buyers remorse. Every time I drive this car I absolutely looooove it...it handles great...is super fast in S# mode, and a dream in the rain. i love the 3 engine modes -- I, S and S#. Subaru certified it - got 100k bumper to bumper for $800.

no problems yet
By mcc7 on 06/06/11 11:28 AM (PDT)

2008 Subaru Legacy 2.5 I Special Edition 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

Bought the car in July 2008 and currently have 31K miles on it without any problems. The suspension is a great. It is nimble enough to handle well but not jarring on bumps. The front seats are very comfortable, even after a few hours in the car. The back seat is tight but still respectable. My only complaint is the radio is horrible but it can easily be replaced with an aftermarket one. With the rear seats folded down a lot can be transported, even long skis. Overall, it is a reliable and affordable car. This is my first Subaru and I would buy it again.

Subie convert!!
By sarduchi22 on 03/11/11 14:00 PM (PST)

2008 Subaru Legacy 2.5 I Limited 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

AWESOME car!! Very well appointed and classy looking interior. Great quality and look to the interior materials and lighting. Ride quality is super smooth yet firm enough for cornering. Feels firm over uneven road surfaces but doesnt break your back. Seats are firm and comfy even on long hauls. The 2.5i is a little sluggish off the line but over 30mph has plenty of power spooled up for passing. Fun factor is moderate only lack of power hurting this aspect of the sedan. Back seat is a little tight not reccomended for people over six foot. Also passenger side footwell is a touch shallow and the seat needs to be slid back to for a comfortable leg position. Over all look is handsome!

Well researched decision
By derekisaac on 01/07/11 11:17 AM (PST)

2008 Subaru Legacy 2.5 I Limited 4dr Sedan AWD w/VDC (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I rated the performance a 3 simply because their are better performing choices out there in a sedan. I wanted an AWD vehicle, but I also was looking to upgrade in mpg from my previous f150 4x4. My research had lead to me to the Subaru Legacy. I had never driven one or even sat inside one. This car gives the best bang for your buck if you purchase slightly used. I got a limited model 29k miles for 16995. Everyone that gets inside the car can't believe the features I got for the price tag. I've done a lot of research and nothing else compares. I wish the mpg was a bit better but I can live with all the features I get instead. The fun-to-drive factor is great despite the small engine.

Great Value
By Skewed on 10/08/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2008 Subaru Legacy 3.0 R Limited 4dr Sedan AWD w/Navi, VDC (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

Looked for a slightly-used Legacy GT, but they're quite rare too, so I researched the 3.0R and bought an almost-new one. Know from personal experience that the 3.0 H6 engine can go 130k miles with no more than routine maintenance. Having owned a 2002 WRX as well as a few Saabs, I can say that the 3.0R feels more like a Saab than the WRX. The WRX felt nimble and light, while the Saabs felt more solid and locked-in while cornering. For the mature driver, there's more sport than luxury but young hotshots will find its reflexes a bit slow. Great for someone who likes both Saabs and Subarus. Not much plush but a lot of function. Learning to use all the controls is worthwhile.

Great car
By Ro on 08/28/10 07:59 AM (PDT)

2008 Subaru Legacy 2.5 I Limited 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

Had this car for over 2 years and have no regrets with my decision. Never owned a Subaru before, but I think I will from now on. Great in the snow, this car literally saved me from an accident several times. Had a Honda for 10 years, feel much safer in this car. Still love the interior, leather, heated seats, interior lighting. Back seat has adequate room. One review commented on the engine ping for several seconds when you first turn off. I addressed that with the service dept when first got the car, it is normal due to cooling down/environmental controls on this car.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.