Used 2007 Subaru Legacy 2.5i Special Edition Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2007 Subaru Legacy - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Legacy model:

Disappointed owner
By disappointed owner

2007 Subaru Legacy 2.5i Special Edition 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Fuel mileage for a 4 cyl. is very poor. Do not like the hesitation from start. Do not like the pulsating in fuel going down hill. Would much rather have my SUV back.

Does hold the road well.

Fuel mileage.

Mileage Improving
By blogan

2007 Subaru Legacy 2.5i Special Edition 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

The Park Avenue I traded for this car reliably gave me 30+ mpg on the highway. Hated to give that up. Recently did my first long trip, NYC to Michigan and back. Kept up with traffic so above speed limit much of the trip and had fun doing it. Over 29 mpg round trip. Latest run to City and back, a 160 round trip on the expressway, got over 30 and was not taking it easy. Fuel economy is understated!

Performance and handling.

More than two settings on the lumbar support lever.

Loving It!
By blogan

2007 Subaru Legacy 2.5i Special Edition 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Just over 400 miles driven but love this car. SE with manual tranny. Fantastic acceleration in all gears. Taconic Parkway is very hilly and twisty. Accelerating up hill in 5th! Traded in a 3800 Buick six and have given up no power. Best handling I've ever had, including BMW 5, Mazda 626, and Celica GT. Great back support. Short throw shifter gets lots of bad press but this base tranny is wonderful. Very little downshifting needed, and upshifting is smooth and very rewarding. Loves to rev!

Engine performance and handling.

Seat belt hard to grab, console is too far to the rear to be useful while driving, bag hooks in trunk are goofy and largely useless.

Subie junkie
By Ron

2007 Subaru Legacy 2.5i Special Edition 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

My first Subaru experience was 16 years ago when my wife and I rented a new '90 Legacy Sedan to see if we wanted one. We ended up buying a '91 Legacy wagon (kept it until 2003...we sold it to a friend with 190,000 miles, they've put on another 30,000 with no problems). We then got an '04 Forester XS. My company has 3 Subies (2 '05 Imprezas and an '04 Forester X). My son has a '90 Legacy sedan with 205,000 miles and it still runs fine. My newest is the '07 Legacy sedan (I got tired of people borrowing my Forester, so I got one with a 5-speed thinking I can have it to myself!). So far, it's flawless...better ride and handling than the Imprezas and Foresters, also more head and leg room.

More than adequate interior room. It handles and accelerates nimbly. Subaru "fit and finish" is exceptional for a sub-$19k vehicle.

I could have done without the moon-roof and 17" sport wheels, but the dealer didn't have any 2.5i base units...like all car dealers, they don't make enough selling a lowly "base" unit. I love the engines in these cars (2.5L H4), but I wish the engineers could trade some horsepower for a few more mpg.

Still kind of amazed.
By Dan

2007 Subaru Legacy 2.5i Special Edition 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I was looking for a reliable, safe, affordable ($20k or under) car big enough to for 2 car seats (though this is not our primary family car) that didn't look & feel like every other car on the road. I drove the Civic & Rabbit, then the Outback Sport. The last was a little cramped, so the dealer suggested the Legacy. It's bigger, more powerful, with much nicer styling, and in a completely different class than the others. Looks great, and IIHS Gold crash test ratings. I got the '07 with the sport trim (fog lights and spoiler).

Solid feel, especially on the highway. Decent mileage (getting 24/31, and having fun with it). Aux input for stereo in the armrest, and head unit plays mp3 & wma files. Handling and interior quality of a much more expensive car.

Could use some more foot room by the pedals. Gaps around doors are a little larger than other cars. Windows could go down a bit faster. Get the armrest extension. It should be standard, especially with the manual.