2006 Subaru Legacy Consumer Review: Reliability & a Great Driver T

2006 Subaru Legacy - Consumer Review

2.5i Special Edition Sedan (2.5L 4-cyl. AWD 5-speed Manual)

Reliability & a Great Driver Too!
By Ed on

2006 Subaru Legacy 2.5i Special Edition 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I'm 44 & a driving enthusiast. I've owned many brands of cars. This Legacy combines the reliability & quality of a good Japanese brand with the driving feel of a European car. I traded in my VW Jetta and Audi A6 for this car and have never looked back. I was tired of the repair bills and inconvenience of the "down time", but thought I would miss the driving feel of those brands. Not so! The AWD makes the handling of this car very neutral, and the suspension soaks up bumps while remaining responsive. The steering has good feel and it's not too over-assisted. The normally aspirated engine revs easily and has plenty of power for daily driving & the 5 speed makes good use of it while adding fun.

Power driver's seat is comfortable; engine revs freely; rock solid feel at highway speeds; fun to drive; AWD adds confidence and grip; that great throaty boxer engine exhaust note.

Foot well is a little narrow for big-footed people (like me); parking brake lever hinders egress; not much room in the back seat for a car this size; shifter was a little "notchy" in some gears for the first few thousand miles.