2006 Subaru Legacy - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Legacy model:
Almost Perfect
By NMN on 01/28/06 16:32 PM (PST)

2006 Subaru Legacy 2.5i Special Edition 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

The only car I have ever purchased, including 3 Hondas, where everything was perfect straight from the factory. Car is tight as a drum. It proves an American factory can produce a great vehicle. It also proves that Japanese engineering is superior to ours. Could use a bit more low end grunt, but has real speed over 60. Getting 22 to 26 MPG. Friends with Subarus say they really loosen up and improve power and MPG after 5K miles. All-wheel-drive works like a charm. Brakes/handling are average. Power steering is a bit too light. The car moves around in a strong wind on the highway. Ergonomics and small switch design/placement need improvement. Quiet as a Lexus. Great overall package.

Best vehicle I have ever had!
By Wade on 01/24/06 09:58 AM (PST)

2006 Subaru Legacy 2.5i 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

This is my first Subaru and not my last after this experience. I have had GM, Ford, Mercury, Chrysler, and Jeep in the past and this blows all of them away without a glimpse in the rear view mirror!

Great everyday car for anyone
By FMak on 01/17/06 14:39 PM (PST)

2006 Subaru Legacy 2.5i Special Edition 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Rock solid feel, handles like a BMW, can't beat the AWD in bad weather. Plenty of power for everyday use, engine has the nice Subaru Boxer growl. If you want to fly, opt for the Turbo. The mileage is accurate if you go easy, when driven hard expect 20-23 MPG, if you cruise on a daily basis,expect 2-4 MPG more.

Rocket on wheels.
By dsmcarfan on 01/15/06 13:08 PM (PST)

2006 Subaru Legacy 2.5 GT Limited 4dr Sedan AWD w/Ivory Int. (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

Test drove Acura TL, Infiniti G35x, and the GT. Best feeling of raw power under control in a car. You don't accelerate in the vehicle, you launch from a standstill. I have not seen much in the way of turbo lag as others have reported. The car has plenty of passing power, and is all around a fun piece of machinery. It's not as refined as the TL or G35x, but is a good mix of performance and luxury features for a reasonable price.

Fun to Drive AWD commuter Sedan
By Tim on 01/08/06 16:14 PM (PST)

2006 Subaru Legacy 2.5i Special Edition 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

This car is fun to drive. The very smooth boxer engine, is quite and powerful for a 4 cylinder 3,300 lb car. It handles excellent with the 205-50-17 tires. The car handles beautifully in the snow, pulls nice and straight.

ETC problems
By Jaime on 12/28/05 15:16 PM (PST)

2006 Subaru Legacy 2.5i Special Edition 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

The ETC hesitates when you are needing quick acceleration. This hesitation is a dangerous situation when you must accelerate now. I have had three situations with one very near miss serious accident due to vehicle hesitating when I needed to move quickly to get out of the way of another vehicle about to rear end me. Other than being dangerous it also takes the fun out of driving it as it contributes to poor performance. Subaru says it is a common complaint for the 2,5i. Really, aren't they concerned about the safety and welfare of the people in Subaru vehicles! This has been reported to the National Highway Traffic Safety Division. Don't buy this vehicle.

Feels Very Euro
By Paul in L.A. on 12/14/05 15:25 PM (PST)

2006 Subaru Legacy 2.5i Special Edition 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

This is my 3rd Legacy since the early 90s. I traded my 2003 Legacy SE Sedan for a 2006 on the current Subaru promotion and got a great deal! The car feels very luxe and like a Euro import ... more like a Volvo or Audi (I had a '99 A6 for comparison). The jury's still out on whether my '06 corners as well as my nimble little '03 did. I'm a total Subie fan, and love this car. Seating comfort is WAY superior to the '03 ... nice gauge lighting, inner door design, dash design, console. The chrome pipes at the back look great, same for the 17" wheels ... no regrets at all.

What a Car!
By Mike on 12/08/05 12:06 PM (PST)

2006 Subaru Legacy 2.5i Special Edition 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

What a car! After 12 years and 195,000 miles I visited my local Suby dealer in hopes of replacing my 1993 Impreza with an '05 or '06 Impreza. The '93 served me well, and is still running great today. Instead I was floored by my original sighting of the 2006 Legacy. One drive and I was hooked. I passed on the Impreza and scooped up a beautiful Legacy 2.5i SE. 5 speed. Silver metallic with a great looking two tone black interior. This car hits the mark in almost every category. looks, great performer for its category, comfort and overall user friendly interior and controls. I ungraded the unit with a rear spoiler, and fog light package. People often mistake my little Suby for an Acura. Love it.

Buy One You'll Love It.
By Red Dirt on 12/07/05 03:09 AM (PST)

2006 Subaru Legacy 2.5i 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

Great car, has been a treat to drive. Wish I had the GT though.

Best Four Wheel Drive Sedan
By John on 11/28/05 10:55 AM (PST)

2006 Subaru Legacy 2.5i Special Edition 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

The Legacy is without doubt the best four wheel drive sedan available when cost and quality are main considerations. I'm impressed with everything about the car, from the comfortable but firm well bolstered seats to the crisp handling. The car seems tight as a drum, with a smooth engine that feeds off regular gasoline. While the consumption is lower than my previous car, I'm averaging between 25-26 on mixed local and highway driving. I'm eager to see how the car handles in snowy conditions, but based on comments from friends, I expect it will do well. Price, quality, unique engine configuration and awd make this car a great choice.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.