Used 2006 Subaru Legacy Consumer Reviews - 108 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Subaru Legacy - Consumer Reviews

2006 Subaru Legacy

View reviews for a specific Legacy model:

Worth every penny.
By John

2006 Subaru Legacy 2.5i 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

Wow. I had a Honda before and it pales in comparison to this vehicle. I have always noticed Subaru's, but never thought I could be this happy with one. I love driving it. The sport shifter is perfect for me, since I have always had a manual up until now. I still get to go through the motions and control the engine. I am at one with the road in this vehicle it is such a smooth drive. Everyone comments on it. You will not be disappointed.

Sport shifter, allow wheels, overall sleek design, AWD, control, comfort.

I could be nit-picky but this is seriously an excellent vehicle. I wouldn't change a thing.

People are missing out on a great car!
By Kelly, Louisiana

2006 Subaru Legacy 2.5i Special Edition 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

After 3 weeks with this car, it seems to grow on me with every day. There should be many more of these on the road - you're missing out, people. The ride is firm, yet comfortable with confident feel. The features are plentiful for the price - especially considering all-wheel-drive and top safety ratings with rear side-air bags all included. This non-turbo version does seem to lack power at times; so I compensate by using the manual auto-stick feature and shift at high rpms when quicker acceleration is needed. But the great highway gas mileage is a fair trade-off for the mediocre power. With the cruise set at 70mph, the trip computer averaged 34mpg, and around 32mpg at 80mph. I highly recommend.

The all-wheel drive, of course, is Subaru's signature feature and it is definitely felt in the excellent handling and heavy road feel (although this is a 3300lb car). The audio system is excellent. Detailed sound! I'd highly recommend the subwoofer option though. It makes a huge difference! Also fog lamps.

The 2007 now has built-in XM radio and MP3 capability, which is my biggest disappointment in the '06. My biggest annoyance is the delayed initial response of the throttle; but this is prevalent in ALL new vehicles using throttle-by-wire technology. I much prefer the old throttle cables of late 90's!

Most Underrated Sports Sedan
By Legacywoman

2006 Subaru Legacy 2.5i Special Edition 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I have owned this car for over 4 months and I couldn't be happier. It handles like a sports sedan that costs over $10K more. The gas mileage is very impressive as I get about 28 mpg combined city and highway and I drive mostly city. The real deal on this car was the price. Subaru had a promotion which gave me back $2000 cash. I bought the car for under $20K. I checked out the Toyota Camry (2007) and the Honda Accord (2006). The Camry reminded me of a Ford Taurus and the Accord was much more expensive equally equipped. Once I drove the Subaru, I realized the AWD is a must have feature and you cannot find a car anywhere that has AWD that is a sports sedan for this price. A real steal!

The AWD, the cloth upholstery, the moonroof and the boxer engine. It rides like a sports car, but is very comfortable and roomy for a family. The trunk is also very large for a car this size. I also like the auto-dimming mirror/compass and arm rest extension as options. It adds comfort.

The 2007 model has fold down seats, and pre-wiring for satellite radio. Although, none of these features were necessary for me, I think these (2) enhancements were needed to compete with the Accord and Camry. It would be nice if Subaru had a hybrid model in the Legacy.

We're Very Happy
By Canuck

2006 Subaru Legacy 2.5i 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

We bought a Legacy partly because everyone has an Outback, partly because it cost less than an Outback, and partly because it's cleaner looking than an Outback. People say it looks like an Audi. We haven't been a bit disappointed. Because it is 2.5" lower than an Outback our Legacy corners great on curvy roads and provides as much as 30 mpg on the highway.

Easy to use cruise control, select shifting on auto trans, confident handling, excellent cornering.

A lock out for 4th gear on auto transmission, 5 speed auto transmission, wider choice of interior colors, more comfortable front seats.

Incredible Car!
By JimHinCO

2006 Subaru Legacy 2.5 GT spec.B 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I went from a 1999 Acura TL to this incredible machine. It gave me all the comfort of my TL (though the new ones are much nicer) but with all-wheel drive, a unique interior, and an amazing turbo engine that is just plain fun to drive. I'm averaging about 26 miles per gallon...excellent for an all-wheel drive with so much power.

The brick red leather is one of my favorite features. The engine is absolutely amazing.

There is a slight buzz in the sunroof at times...otherwise, the car is perfect.