Used 2006 Subaru Legacy Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Subaru Legacy - Consumer Reviews

2006 Subaru Legacy

View reviews for a specific Legacy model:

People are missing out on a great car!
By Kelly, Louisiana

2006 Subaru Legacy 2.5i Special Edition 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

After 3 weeks with this car, it seems to grow on me with every day. There should be many more of these on the road - you're missing out, people. The ride is firm, yet comfortable with confident feel. The features are plentiful for the price - especially considering all-wheel-drive and top safety ratings with rear side-air bags all included. This non-turbo version does seem to lack power at times; so I compensate by using the manual auto-stick feature and shift at high rpms when quicker acceleration is needed. But the great highway gas mileage is a fair trade-off for the mediocre power. With the cruise set at 70mph, the trip computer averaged 34mpg, and around 32mpg at 80mph. I highly recommend.

Favorite Features

The all-wheel drive, of course, is Subaru's signature feature and it is definitely felt in the excellent handling and heavy road feel (although this is a 3300lb car). The audio system is excellent. Detailed sound! I'd highly recommend the subwoofer option though. It makes a huge difference! Also fog lamps.

Suggested Improvements

The 2007 now has built-in XM radio and MP3 capability, which is my biggest disappointment in the '06. My biggest annoyance is the delayed initial response of the throttle; but this is prevalent in ALL new vehicles using throttle-by-wire technology. I much prefer the old throttle cables of late 90's!

Most Underrated Sports Sedan
By Legacywoman

2006 Subaru Legacy 2.5i Special Edition 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I have owned this car for over 4 months and I couldn't be happier. It handles like a sports sedan that costs over $10K more. The gas mileage is very impressive as I get about 28 mpg combined city and highway and I drive mostly city. The real deal on this car was the price. Subaru had a promotion which gave me back $2000 cash. I bought the car for under $20K. I checked out the Toyota Camry (2007) and the Honda Accord (2006). The Camry reminded me of a Ford Taurus and the Accord was much more expensive equally equipped. Once I drove the Subaru, I realized the AWD is a must have feature and you cannot find a car anywhere that has AWD that is a sports sedan for this price. A real steal!

Favorite Features

The AWD, the cloth upholstery, the moonroof and the boxer engine. It rides like a sports car, but is very comfortable and roomy for a family. The trunk is also very large for a car this size. I also like the auto-dimming mirror/compass and arm rest extension as options. It adds comfort.

Suggested Improvements

The 2007 model has fold down seats, and pre-wiring for satellite radio. Although, none of these features were necessary for me, I think these (2) enhancements were needed to compete with the Accord and Camry. It would be nice if Subaru had a hybrid model in the Legacy.

We're Very Happy
By Canuck

2006 Subaru Legacy 2.5i 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

We bought a Legacy partly because everyone has an Outback, partly because it cost less than an Outback, and partly because it's cleaner looking than an Outback. People say it looks like an Audi. We haven't been a bit disappointed. Because it is 2.5" lower than an Outback our Legacy corners great on curvy roads and provides as much as 30 mpg on the highway.

Favorite Features

Easy to use cruise control, select shifting on auto trans, confident handling, excellent cornering.

Suggested Improvements

A lock out for 4th gear on auto transmission, 5 speed auto transmission, wider choice of interior colors, more comfortable front seats.

Incredible Car!
By JimHinCO

2006 Subaru Legacy 2.5 GT spec.B 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I went from a 1999 Acura TL to this incredible machine. It gave me all the comfort of my TL (though the new ones are much nicer) but with all-wheel drive, a unique interior, and an amazing turbo engine that is just plain fun to drive. I'm averaging about 26 miles per gallon...excellent for an all-wheel drive with so much power.

Favorite Features

The brick red leather is one of my favorite features. The engine is absolutely amazing.

Suggested Improvements

There is a slight buzz in the sunroof at times...otherwise, the car is perfect.

Great car for family and Michigan
By mrnoorde

2006 Subaru Legacy 2.5i Special Edition 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

My wife had a Subaru WRX but when we had a child, she needed something bigger. The WRX was fun to drive, safe, and reliable so naturally looked at another Subaru. We knew we wanted a wagon with a manual gearbox. We also wanted better fuel economy, lower insurance rates, and something that does not take premium fuel. The Legacy 2.5i wagon manual proved perfect. My wife misses the WRX but once the Legacy had about 2000 miles on it, the engine loosened up nicely and works well with the manual gearbox. Yes, a little more power would be nice but 25 mpg around town and 30+ mpg on the highway is fantastic.

Favorite Features

All-wheel-drive, excellent safety record, Subaru reliability, exterior and interior styling, value for money, ride/handling characteristics, size, giant sunroof, uses regular fuel, good fuel economy, not an SUV.

Suggested Improvements

Needs stability control. Subaru should make it standard on all their cars. Seats could be more comfortable, some wind noise (frameless windows are always suspect), rear seat headroom compromised by giant sunroof, LATCH location/rear seat design makes some child seats difficult to install.