Used 2006 Subaru Legacy Consumer Reviews - 108 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Subaru Legacy - Consumer Reviews

2006 Subaru Legacy

View reviews for a specific Legacy model:

love it.
By Riley

2006 Subaru Legacy 2.5 GT Limited 4dr Sedan AWD w/Black Int. (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

I really like this car. The interior design is the perfect blend of sporty and classy. It feels upscale but still racy. I would love to see a boost gauge somewhere though. The AWD is great in snow and rain (and grips like crazy on dry pavement!). Only a couple gripes - 25mpg is poor for a midsize sedan, even though it is turbocharged with AWD. Also, the rear seats don't fold down, and it's a little hard to use the power outlet in the dash (folds out). I also would have liked to see an aux audio jack for mp3 players. The car drives like a dream, blows anything else in its class out of the water, and looks great. The transmission really isn't half bad for an autobox.

Turbo performance, styling interior and exterior, puts a smile on my face every time I drive it. Start-up sequence of gauges is cool, perfect balance of ride and handling, AWD, it's an absolute joy to drive.

Better mpg, aux audio jack, boost gauge, more turbo sound, standard subwoofer, fold-away rear seats. Also, there's a bit of road noise at highway speeds.

Great Value AWD Sedan
By ccny

I tend to be a harsh reviewer so please bear that in mind with the ratings. I reserve "10" for perfection or near to it. That said, the LGT is a great value especially with end of the year incentives. The engine is responsive even with the auto transmission. On highway, it's very smooth and quiet. I tend to drive fast over long stretches of highway for my daily commute so this car is great for a quiet and easy drive. Flex the ankle though and the car really moves. Handling is sharp for a 4 door sedan. I only get 21 MPG on mostly highway driving and cruising at 70 to 80. I've also had some odd rattles but nothing terrible. All in all, great car for the money despite few quirks.

Responsive and smooth engine. Car comes loaded. Moonroof, AWD, auto dual zone climate, sport shift, leather driver and passenger heated seats, heated windshield and mirrors, auto dimming mirror, 6 disc CD, it goes on.

Need audio controls on steering wheel. Diversity antennae rather than staticky mess that's there now. Better fuel economy. Fewer rattles for interior space. Wouldn't mind stability control and slightly stiffer suspension.

Oil change issues
By freogirl

2006 Subaru Legacy 2.5i Limited 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I love Subarus and I love this car. The interior is pretty sweet, so I wish the exterior would catch up. I think it looks too much like a Ford Contour from the front. But beware - we just had our first routine maintenance done and apparently the car's exhaust opening goes all around the outside of the oil cup, so when the oil is changed, residue gets in the exhaust and the fumes are overwhelming. I'm pregnant and can't drive the car until the smell goes away. The dealership told me its a design flaw that they were (hopefully) going to fix it on later models.

Interior lighting, dual heated seats, smooth, quiet ride.

I'm pretty upset about the oil problem. It will keep me from getting regular oil changes for sure. You can smell the burning oil inside and outside the car when you drive it, so its terribly unpleasant. I don't know how long it will take to dissipate.

Excellent fun!
By JimHinCO

2006 Subaru Legacy 2.5 GT spec.B 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I simply love everything about the car. Amazingly fun to drive, excellent performance, luxurious, unique, safe, and the envy of so many friends. I have a slight buzz from the sun roof from time to time, and I do wish it would have come in a color worthy of its flashiness...but amazing none-the-less.

The navigation system is great at keeping my lead foot in check. I'm averaging 27 mpg...24 if I just race from light to light.

All-season tires. The stock tires are good for summer or wet spring and autumns but NOT for snow in the winter.

Reliability & a Great Driver Too!
By Ed

2006 Subaru Legacy 2.5i Special Edition 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I'm 44 & a driving enthusiast. I've owned many brands of cars. This Legacy combines the reliability & quality of a good Japanese brand with the driving feel of a European car. I traded in my VW Jetta and Audi A6 for this car and have never looked back. I was tired of the repair bills and inconvenience of the "down time", but thought I would miss the driving feel of those brands. Not so! The AWD makes the handling of this car very neutral, and the suspension soaks up bumps while remaining responsive. The steering has good feel and it's not too over-assisted. The normally aspirated engine revs easily and has plenty of power for daily driving & the 5 speed makes good use of it while adding fun.

Power driver's seat is comfortable; engine revs freely; rock solid feel at highway speeds; fun to drive; AWD adds confidence and grip; that great throaty boxer engine exhaust note.

Foot well is a little narrow for big-footed people (like me); parking brake lever hinders egress; not much room in the back seat for a car this size; shifter was a little "notchy" in some gears for the first few thousand miles.