2006 Subaru Legacy - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Legacy model:
I miss the German engineering
By bluechipBMW on 06/19/06 06:06 AM (PDT)

2006 Subaru Legacy 2.5 GT Limited 4dr Sedan AWD w/Ivory Int. (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

Yes, for the money this is a great buy. But if you are coming from a German engineered car you will be doing a lot of cross comparing. The power this car has is totally amazing which makes the fun factor so high. But the suspension needs to be improved in my opinion. I feel my previous A4 would out handle this car in turns but if you modify the Legacy with sway bars and springs then...no. But you will sacrifice your comfort. Also there is too much wind noise in the cabin. But if you are looking for something fun to drive at around $30k or less with great reliability then this is what you need.

Lovin it so far
By Dave on 06/15/06 22:36 PM (PDT)

2006 Subaru Legacy 2.5i Limited 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

Looks and feels like a European sport wagon, but with Japanese reliability. I cross shopped the Mazda 6 and used BMW 3-series wagons. This was the best value in the bunch. The BMW was a little smoother and a little tighter on the road, but not by much. And it cost $10k more new. This car was the value point. I considered a GT, but did the math and it has a life cycle cost of about $10,000 more over the life of the vehicle. I don't need the extra power that much. Others might, it's a personal thing I guess. After about two weeks and one road trip I got nuthin but smiles. Handles great, feels good.

First impressions 06 2.5i Wagon
By dave on 06/13/06 10:51 AM (PDT)

2006 Subaru Legacy 2.5i Limited 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I've had it for a week or so now and taken one road trip. I cross-shopped against a Mazda 06 and a used BMW 3 series (I could get an 02 for around the same price). Compared to the BMW it wasn't quite as nice and the engine wasn't quite as smooth, but it was surprisingly close. Throw in the difference in cost and the Subaru was the value point. I also considered the GT. With the lower mileage, the higher purchase price and the need for premium fuel and the softer tires, the GT cost an additional $10k over the life of the vehicle. May be worth it for some, but not me. I've found the handling great. Acceleration was adequate, but not fantastic. I love the interior. A fun to drive car.

Great Car at Great Value
By Sandman on 05/31/06 11:00 AM (PDT)

2006 Subaru Legacy 2.5 GT Limited 4dr Sedan AWD w/Black Int. (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

When it came to buy a new car, Legacy was not on my list until the last minute. I was looking at Audi A3 & A4, Acura TSX and Cadillac CTS. After test driving all of them numerous times, I wasn't quite sold on any of them. I really wanted an Audi but could not bring myself to spend the money for a car with one of worst reliability ratings. Acura TSX had everything I would want in a car in a nice package but was very boring to drive. And one day, I saw a car I hadn't seen before parked on my street. It was a brand new Subaru Legacy GT. After doing internet research and 2 test drive & a great treatment from the dealer, I had my car with everything I ask for in a car.

Best Kept Secret in Affordable AWD Sedan
By Steve on 05/24/06 20:30 PM (PDT)

2006 Subaru Legacy 2.5i Special Edition 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

After four Audi's, I wasn't in the game for another overpriced, high maintenance, and problematic German sedan. I also wasn't in the market for the terrible handling and riding Accord or Camry. I was pleasantly surprised when I test drove the Legacy; very good power, excellent ride, and great build quality. After a few weeks, it has exceeded all expectations I've had; it rides great; with a very good balance of ride quality to handling, has strong pulling power, looks great, and is very comfortable. Also, the dealer is great, no "high end car" attitude. If you're considering a Camry, Accord, Passat, A3, or A4 - do yourself a favor and test drive a Legacy - you'll be glad you did.

How could you not love it?
By NY Subaru on 05/20/06 14:16 PM (PDT)

2006 Subaru Legacy 2.5i Special Edition 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

This is by far the best car I have owned. Had it 6 months and have 11K miles on it. Great look, feel, style. Get 31 MPG at 80 MPH on highway. Average about 28 MPG combined highway/city. About 450 miles off one tank. Excellent and fun to drive in good weather and snow. Great features, easy to drive, easy to use controls. a lot of power for a small car, zips in and out of traffic. Why buy the turbo and pay more and spend more on gas when this is almost the same. Good pick up and excellent braking. I would suggest this car to anyone looking for a car priced under $25K, that wants reliability, and a great car.

Great Car?
By Kalito on 05/16/06 09:11 AM (PDT)

Very good car... (could be great with a few minor upgrades!). I have had some fun cars in the past (BMW etc.) but for the price the Legacy GT is a windfall. Surefooted, powerful yet an awesome daily driver, than can provide serious fun with a minor adjustment of your right foot.

I Dare You
By Kevin on 05/13/06 11:27 AM (PDT)

2006 Subaru Legacy 2.5i Limited 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I've had my 2006 Legacy sedan for about 5 months now and I dare you to find more car for the money. Top notch safety, beautiful interior (really, SO much less "cheap" feeling than Camry or Accord), very sporty exterior, strong engine, sure handling, tons of great standard features (never been a real car buff, but I love my 17" wheels!), and excellent predicted reliability -- all in the low to mid $20's. I have done a ton of car shopping lately (I am now looking for a new car for my wife; we'll probably get the Outback wagon) and nothing comes close to what you get for the price of this car.

Be SPEC-tacular
By Max on 05/09/06 15:18 PM (PDT)

2006 Subaru Legacy 2.5 GT spec.B 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I recently shopped for a Subaru Legacy GT, when the dealer offered an outstanding buy on his only spec.B. The combination of improved handling dynamics, navigation system and other features turned it into an irresistible buy. Any enthusiast who has driven the turbo GT Legacy knows that the 250 HP rating offered by Subaru is WAY low. Zero-to-60 in 5.3 (which this car does) means something more on the order of 275+ flywheel HP. Great performance, handling and all wheel drive make this a terrific buy!

Worth the $$
By Great Ride! on 05/08/06 12:55 PM (PDT)

2006 Subaru Legacy 2.5 GT spec.B 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

The spec.B is worth every penny over the 'normal' GT. The wheel/Bilstein suspension package works flawlessly and the upgraded interior is loved by all who see it. My wife traded in her 2000 Accord for it, we will never go back to the soulless Honda. The rush of the turbo spooling at 3 thousand makes it a rush to drive. My only worry is the number of speeding tickets the wife is going to pile up.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.