Used 2006 Subaru Legacy Consumer Reviews - 108 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Subaru Legacy - Consumer Reviews

2006 Subaru Legacy

View reviews for a specific Legacy model:

2006 Legacy SE Wagon
By DesertEagle

2006 Subaru Legacy 2.5i Special Edition 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

My wife has to drive a lot for work, so we were looking for a reliable vehicle with some space for the family trips. In 12000 miles, this car has been great. Good luggage capacity, decent gas mileage (26mpg average), good handling, firm but comfortable ride, and AWD. So far not a single problem with it. Love the interior (except for the seats) and the overall build quality of the car. For a wagon, the styling is also very nice. The engine has OK performance, but the 4 speed auto transmission is the weak point. It takes FOREVER to kick down once you floor it. Luckily there is the manumatic feature. Overall, we love the car and would definitely buy it again.

AWD - great on unplowed, snowy roads. HUGE moonroof, good cargo capacity, 17" wheels, bright headlights, quiet interior. Great access to oil filter.

Auto transmission, lack of bass in stereo system (will want subwoofer), hard seats make long trips slightly uncomfortable (even with 8-way power drivers seat).

Great sales and touring vehicle!
By Johnny K

2006 Subaru Legacy 2.5i Special Edition 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

This car is very comfy for those of us that spend hours in our vehicles. The cloth seats are very cool in the summer. Interior quality is very good. The sunroof is a big plus. My friend has a 3 series and the vehicles look identical - go figure. The exterior styling is fantastic for the price. Gas mileage is also very good with average 30 mpg on trips. I tinted all four windows/rear and it really enhances the vehicle. This vehicle is right in the middle between an econo box and luxury sedan - a great choice at $22K not $32K! Buy it! You will hear "nice car" many times over and feel great about your purchase.

Sound system (I'm buying the factory sub-woofer that goes under the seat), great paint and finish, low profile rims and tires, sunroof, chrome tipped dual exhaust, folding arm rest in back seat folds down to transport ski equipment. Two sets of golf clubs fit in the trunk without a problem.

The engine could use a little more power, but economy rules today. It's okay.

Very fun to drive
By big rob

2006 Subaru Legacy 2.5 GT Limited 4dr Sedan AWD w/Ivory Int. (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

I love this car, it has character to it. I like that there are not many on the road. It's nice to be the only one in the neighborhood with one. This car gets a lot of lookers.

The boxer engine, all wheel drive. Driver confidence on any surface. Low maintenance cost.

There are no aftermarket kits available for the radio, no aux inputs for I-Pods or mp3 players. No aux amp outputs.

Great Car that Exceeded my Expectations
By Noel

2006 Subaru Legacy 2.5 GT Limited 4dr Sedan AWD w/Black Int. (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I bought my 2006 Subaru Legacy GT to replace my Audi A4. I was tired of constantly repairing that car at great expense. Now that my car has 16K miles on it, I can report that I have had absolutely no problems with it (aside from a dead battery from my leaving the interior lights on for 4 days). After driving a German car for many years before this I can report that Subaru feels like a German car inside. Great interior. The suspension is nicely sprung and valved but the car does lean in turns more than I like. The engine is truly incredible. The car is faster than my 1980 Porsche 911 track car, which is not bad for a daily driver that included comfort. I would recommend this car!

Engine, engine engine. Exterior styling is very nice. The interior is great looking and very German. Reliability (although compared to an Audi, it doesn't take much).

A sport suspension option (even if it is a dealer installed option). That's it!

Until you can afford your toy
By drjeff

For a reasonable price, the Legacy GT is fast enough to be fun, agile enough to be safe, comfortable enough to be a family cruiser, and economical, reliable, and durable enough to be a daily commuter. This car's performance will surprise a lot of sports car owners, but its appearance doesn't attract speeding tickets or thieves. And if all that isn't enough, this car is more stable in bad weather than any SUV I've ever been in. Unless you can count on dry roads, consider all wheel drive; Subaru's AWD system incorporates superior engineering. See for yourself.

Acceleration. Low center of gravity. Superb AWD. Decent fuel efficiency. Well-shaped seats.

Offer optional brakes like those on the STi. Go to a lighter twin-turbo system to eliminate turbo lag. Offer the flat 6-cylinder engine, too.