Used 2006 Subaru Legacy Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Subaru Legacy - Consumer Reviews

2006 Subaru Legacy

View reviews for a specific Legacy model:

Great sales and touring vehicle!
By Johnny K

2006 Subaru Legacy 2.5i Special Edition 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

This car is very comfy for those of us that spend hours in our vehicles. The cloth seats are very cool in the summer. Interior quality is very good. The sunroof is a big plus. My friend has a 3 series and the vehicles look identical - go figure. The exterior styling is fantastic for the price. Gas mileage is also very good with average 30 mpg on trips. I tinted all four windows/rear and it really enhances the vehicle. This vehicle is right in the middle between an econo box and luxury sedan - a great choice at $22K not $32K! Buy it! You will hear "nice car" many times over and feel great about your purchase.

Favorite Features

Sound system (I'm buying the factory sub-woofer that goes under the seat), great paint and finish, low profile rims and tires, sunroof, chrome tipped dual exhaust, folding arm rest in back seat folds down to transport ski equipment. Two sets of golf clubs fit in the trunk without a problem.

Suggested Improvements

The engine could use a little more power, but economy rules today. It's okay.

Very fun to drive
By big rob

2006 Subaru Legacy 2.5 GT Limited 4dr Sedan AWD w/Ivory Int. (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

I love this car, it has character to it. I like that there are not many on the road. It's nice to be the only one in the neighborhood with one. This car gets a lot of lookers.

Favorite Features

The boxer engine, all wheel drive. Driver confidence on any surface. Low maintenance cost.

Suggested Improvements

There are no aftermarket kits available for the radio, no aux inputs for I-Pods or mp3 players. No aux amp outputs.

Great Car that Exceeded my Expectations
By Noel

2006 Subaru Legacy 2.5 GT Limited 4dr Sedan AWD w/Black Int. (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I bought my 2006 Subaru Legacy GT to replace my Audi A4. I was tired of constantly repairing that car at great expense. Now that my car has 16K miles on it, I can report that I have had absolutely no problems with it (aside from a dead battery from my leaving the interior lights on for 4 days). After driving a German car for many years before this I can report that Subaru feels like a German car inside. Great interior. The suspension is nicely sprung and valved but the car does lean in turns more than I like. The engine is truly incredible. The car is faster than my 1980 Porsche 911 track car, which is not bad for a daily driver that included comfort. I would recommend this car!

Favorite Features

Engine, engine engine. Exterior styling is very nice. The interior is great looking and very German. Reliability (although compared to an Audi, it doesn't take much).

Suggested Improvements

A sport suspension option (even if it is a dealer installed option). That's it!

Until you can afford your toy
By drjeff

For a reasonable price, the Legacy GT is fast enough to be fun, agile enough to be safe, comfortable enough to be a family cruiser, and economical, reliable, and durable enough to be a daily commuter. This car's performance will surprise a lot of sports car owners, but its appearance doesn't attract speeding tickets or thieves. And if all that isn't enough, this car is more stable in bad weather than any SUV I've ever been in. Unless you can count on dry roads, consider all wheel drive; Subaru's AWD system incorporates superior engineering. See for yourself.

Favorite Features

Acceleration. Low center of gravity. Superb AWD. Decent fuel efficiency. Well-shaped seats.

Suggested Improvements

Offer optional brakes like those on the STi. Go to a lighter twin-turbo system to eliminate turbo lag. Offer the flat 6-cylinder engine, too.

love it.
By Riley

2006 Subaru Legacy 2.5 GT Limited 4dr Sedan AWD w/Black Int. (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

I really like this car. The interior design is the perfect blend of sporty and classy. It feels upscale but still racy. I would love to see a boost gauge somewhere though. The AWD is great in snow and rain (and grips like crazy on dry pavement!). Only a couple gripes - 25mpg is poor for a midsize sedan, even though it is turbocharged with AWD. Also, the rear seats don't fold down, and it's a little hard to use the power outlet in the dash (folds out). I also would have liked to see an aux audio jack for mp3 players. The car drives like a dream, blows anything else in its class out of the water, and looks great. The transmission really isn't half bad for an autobox.

Favorite Features

Turbo performance, styling interior and exterior, puts a smile on my face every time I drive it. Start-up sequence of gauges is cool, perfect balance of ride and handling, AWD, it's an absolute joy to drive.

Suggested Improvements

Better mpg, aux audio jack, boost gauge, more turbo sound, standard subwoofer, fold-away rear seats. Also, there's a bit of road noise at highway speeds.