Used 2006 Subaru Legacy Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Subaru Legacy - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Legacy model:

2006 Spec B review
By Todd

2006 Subaru Legacy 2.5 GT spec.B 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Definitely not worth the extra money for a specB. Subarus are designed by engineers, not by people who actually use the cars on a daily basis. Would I buy another one again? No, with emphasis! Too many annoying and poorly thought out features.

Good safety record

Steering wheel audio controls should skip through preset stations, not search for the next station. Eliminate the constant seat belt chime. Eliminate the "stutter" when accelerating. Make sure everyday drivers test the car before releasing it.

1 Year Review
By Troy

2006 Subaru Legacy 2.5i Limited 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I bought my Subaru a year ago and gave it rave reviews, and I'm here to second the initial review. This car has been outstanding. I have had no problems whatsoever, and like it more each day. The leather still looks phenomenal, and I average around 28 mpg (highway and local combined - about equal parts). My only gripe is that this model year did not have an AUX jack for my iPod and lacked a folding rear seat, both of which have been rectified. Get one, you'll love it.

Still love the 17" rims, interior is very comforting, heated seats are awesome in the winter, large trunk, nothing has gone wrong - at all.

Have been taken care of in newer models (AUX jack and folding rear seat). Would also like to see steering wheel radio controls and Bluetooth, but that's only because I'm lazy.

2006 Subaru Legacy 2.5i SE
By kellyfolse

2006 Subaru Legacy 2.5i Special Edition 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

First, I have to say people just don't get it; otherwise Subaru would be selling more than 300,000 vehicles a year in America. My overall opinion, I'll use one of Valvoline's old slogans: people who know buy Subarus! This was my first brand new car purchase. I did painstaking research before purchasing, and I have no regrets! This particular Subaru is the best buy in its class for the money, period. I like the clean, modern exterior styling, the interior is clean, stylish, and comfortable (still with a few annoying quirks that most cars have). The handling is nothing short of impressive. Test driving this car sells it, especially if you test drive it in the rain or snow. Hurry, go now!

AWD, excellent handling. So many features for the money, I sometimes think the Turbo and Limited versions subsidize this so-called base model. The CD stereo (with optional sub) grows on you. It stresses quality sound over blaring volume. The large sunroof is a cool feature for the price!

Lighter steering wheel, a bit more power, although the power/economy ratio is very good; delayed throttle response is annoying at times, but that is in ANY modern vehicle with throttle-by-wire.

Fantastic and sophistocated drive
By Marc

2006 Subaru Legacy 2.5 GT Limited 4dr Sedan AWD w/Black Int. (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Would never have thought I would own a Subaru. Just saw this HOT car while out looking at the Mazda 6 on the other side of the lot. My final decision was between the IS300 and this car. The Legacy had more to offer for less money. It's been 6 months and I have 12,000 miles on it. Still drives, looks, sounds and smells like new. I will never be able to buy anything without the AWD. It is also very comforting to know you are in one of the safest vehicles. I would recommend this car to anyone; it is a fit for just about every type of person.

Ultimate control on dry, wet and snowy roads! Quick and can throw you back into your seat pretty well. Inside and out looks are conservative but sporty (HOT). Excited to experience its known reliability. My previous GM lacked this.

Stereo could be upgraded; back seats need to fold down, gas mileage, needs steering wheel controls, auto lights when it gets dark and the nav. system on the manual transmission. Nothing has been found to be annoying and I have been able to be very happy with the car without having the above listings.

2006 Legacy SE Wagon
By DesertEagle

2006 Subaru Legacy 2.5i Special Edition 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

My wife has to drive a lot for work, so we were looking for a reliable vehicle with some space for the family trips. In 12000 miles, this car has been great. Good luggage capacity, decent gas mileage (26mpg average), good handling, firm but comfortable ride, and AWD. So far not a single problem with it. Love the interior (except for the seats) and the overall build quality of the car. For a wagon, the styling is also very nice. The engine has OK performance, but the 4 speed auto transmission is the weak point. It takes FOREVER to kick down once you floor it. Luckily there is the manumatic feature. Overall, we love the car and would definitely buy it again.

AWD - great on unplowed, snowy roads. HUGE moonroof, good cargo capacity, 17" wheels, bright headlights, quiet interior. Great access to oil filter.

Auto transmission, lack of bass in stereo system (will want subwoofer), hard seats make long trips slightly uncomfortable (even with 8-way power drivers seat).