Used 2006 Subaru Legacy Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Subaru Legacy - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Legacy model:
Great Value AWD Sedan
By ccny on 12/20/06 12:03 PM (PST)

2006 Subaru Legacy 2.5 GT Limited 4dr Sedan AWD w/Black Int. (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

I tend to be a harsh reviewer so please bear that in mind with the ratings. I reserve "10" for perfection or near to it. That said, the LGT is a great value especially with end of the year incentives. The engine is responsive even with the auto transmission. On highway, it's very smooth and quiet. I tend to drive fast over long stretches of highway for my daily commute so this car is great for a quiet and easy drive. Flex the ankle though and the car really moves. Handling is sharp for a 4 door sedan. I only get 21 MPG on mostly highway driving and cruising at 70 to 80. I've also had some odd rattles but nothing terrible. All in all, great car for the money despite few quirks.

Oil change issues
By freogirl on 12/12/06 07:04 AM (PST)

2006 Subaru Legacy 2.5i Limited 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I love Subarus and I love this car. The interior is pretty sweet, so I wish the exterior would catch up. I think it looks too much like a Ford Contour from the front. But beware - we just had our first routine maintenance done and apparently the car's exhaust opening goes all around the outside of the oil cup, so when the oil is changed, residue gets in the exhaust and the fumes are overwhelming. I'm pregnant and can't drive the car until the smell goes away. The dealership told me its a design flaw that they were (hopefully) going to fix it on later models.

Excellent fun!
By JimHinCO on 11/09/06 14:45 PM (PST)

2006 Subaru Legacy 2.5 GT spec.B 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I simply love everything about the car. Amazingly fun to drive, excellent performance, luxurious, unique, safe, and the envy of so many friends. I have a slight buzz from the sun roof from time to time, and I do wish it would have come in a color worthy of its flashiness...but amazing none-the-less.

Reliability & a Great Driver Too!
By Ed on 10/22/06 17:13 PM (PDT)

2006 Subaru Legacy 2.5i Special Edition 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I'm 44 & a driving enthusiast. I've owned many brands of cars. This Legacy combines the reliability & quality of a good Japanese brand with the driving feel of a European car. I traded in my VW Jetta and Audi A6 for this car and have never looked back. I was tired of the repair bills and inconvenience of the "down time", but thought I would miss the driving feel of those brands. Not so! The AWD makes the handling of this car very neutral, and the suspension soaks up bumps while remaining responsive. The steering has good feel and it's not too over-assisted. The normally aspirated engine revs easily and has plenty of power for daily driving & the 5 speed makes good use of it while adding fun.

Worth every penny.
By John on 10/18/06 16:54 PM (PDT)

2006 Subaru Legacy 2.5i 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

Wow. I had a Honda before and it pales in comparison to this vehicle. I have always noticed Subaru's, but never thought I could be this happy with one. I love driving it. The sport shifter is perfect for me, since I have always had a manual up until now. I still get to go through the motions and control the engine. I am at one with the road in this vehicle it is such a smooth drive. Everyone comments on it. You will not be disappointed.

People are missing out on a great car!
By Kelly, Louisiana on 10/09/06 09:16 AM (PDT)

2006 Subaru Legacy 2.5i Special Edition 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

After 3 weeks with this car, it seems to grow on me with every day. There should be many more of these on the road - you're missing out, people. The ride is firm, yet comfortable with confident feel. The features are plentiful for the price - especially considering all-wheel-drive and top safety ratings with rear side-air bags all included. This non-turbo version does seem to lack power at times; so I compensate by using the manual auto-stick feature and shift at high rpms when quicker acceleration is needed. But the great highway gas mileage is a fair trade-off for the mediocre power. With the cruise set at 70mph, the trip computer averaged 34mpg, and around 32mpg at 80mph. I highly recommend.

Most Underrated Sports Sedan
By Legacywoman on 10/07/06 05:44 AM (PDT)

2006 Subaru Legacy 2.5i Special Edition 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I have owned this car for over 4 months and I couldn't be happier. It handles like a sports sedan that costs over $10K more. The gas mileage is very impressive as I get about 28 mpg combined city and highway and I drive mostly city. The real deal on this car was the price. Subaru had a promotion which gave me back $2000 cash. I bought the car for under $20K. I checked out the Toyota Camry (2007) and the Honda Accord (2006). The Camry reminded me of a Ford Taurus and the Accord was much more expensive equally equipped. Once I drove the Subaru, I realized the AWD is a must have feature and you cannot find a car anywhere that has AWD that is a sports sedan for this price. A real steal!

We're Very Happy
By Canuck on 10/01/06 21:06 PM (PDT)

2006 Subaru Legacy 2.5i 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

We bought a Legacy partly because everyone has an Outback, partly because it cost less than an Outback, and partly because it's cleaner looking than an Outback. People say it looks like an Audi. We haven't been a bit disappointed. Because it is 2.5" lower than an Outback our Legacy corners great on curvy roads and provides as much as 30 mpg on the highway.

Incredible Car!
By JimHinCO on 09/27/06 09:09 AM (PDT)

2006 Subaru Legacy 2.5 GT spec.B 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I went from a 1999 Acura TL to this incredible machine. It gave me all the comfort of my TL (though the new ones are much nicer) but with all-wheel drive, a unique interior, and an amazing turbo engine that is just plain fun to drive. I'm averaging about 26 miles per gallon...excellent for an all-wheel drive with so much power.

Great car for family and Michigan
By mrnoorde on 09/15/06 17:02 PM (PDT)

2006 Subaru Legacy 2.5i Special Edition 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

My wife had a Subaru WRX but when we had a child, she needed something bigger. The WRX was fun to drive, safe, and reliable so naturally looked at another Subaru. We knew we wanted a wagon with a manual gearbox. We also wanted better fuel economy, lower insurance rates, and something that does not take premium fuel. The Legacy 2.5i wagon manual proved perfect. My wife misses the WRX but once the Legacy had about 2000 miles on it, the engine loosened up nicely and works well with the manual gearbox. Yes, a little more power would be nice but 25 mpg around town and 30+ mpg on the highway is fantastic.