Used 2006 Subaru Legacy Wagon Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Subaru Legacy - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Legacy model:

A "poorman's Porsche" 4 wheel wagon?
By Multisport transport

2006 Subaru Legacy Wagon 2.5i Special Edition 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

4 years and 75,400 miles and it's still a blast to drive. Very reliable except wheel bearing issues on both the front and rear passenger side wheels. Extended warranty actually paid off. (Had a costly transmission fiasco with prior Volvo all wheel Cross Country) Broke even this time. Combines practicality and style, costs less than an Honda Accord, handles better than VW Passat and offers the all wheel drive of an Audi A4 wagon which costs $15,000 more. I bought a Harley Davidson Nightrod with the savings. The long wagon roof line and additional interior space provides versatility for carrying gear for family vacations and outdoor adventures. Decent MPG range of 23 town & 30 on highway.

Favorite Features

Fun to drive handling, huge sunroof, good stock sound system, very practical for carrying camping gear& weekend warrior toys, awesome in rain & snow; it loves to play outside as much as I do and very capable of transporting my wife, 2 kids, luggage in safety and style. Prudent "Porsche" station wagon

Suggested Improvements

Improve the fit of plastic pieces in the front cabin area. Especially the door handle, and around the steering column. As the weather gets cold, start to hear creaks, rattles, and groans and I know it's not my aging bones and joints. Improve cabin soundproofing to insulate from road noise.

Everything I expected and more.
By Pete

2006 Subaru Legacy Wagon 2.5i Limited 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

This is my third Subaru because, they're reliable, safe, versatile and somewhat fun to drive. In the winter, I just love strolling past numerous cars & SUVs that can't handle slippery roads. The Limited edition is fun on exit ramps at 55 mph. Those tires stick like glue. Accelerate instead of braking and see how fast you can go. The car will go faster in the corners than you're willing to go. Oh yeah, I love the side curtain air bags being there, just in case. 30 mpg Hwy in summer time, about 27 mpg hwy in winter. The wagon is bigger than friends mini SUVs, fits a lot of stuff. 116K so far, no big problems. Do your own brake jobs, their easy to do and cheap, $55 for all 4 wheels.

Favorite Features

AWD, Moon Roof, Wagon versatility, safety, reliability and durability. The cornering best I've ever had for the $. Assembled in USA was nice too.

Suggested Improvements

Auto-Transmission clunks into gears at times. Automatic climate controls always uses A/C for defogging when using he heater would save fuel economy. Acceleration hesitation is annoying. Throttle response is slow. Sun visor doesn't cover corner of window and sun gets through. Requires annoying adj.

I don't miss my truck
By Reece

2006 Subaru Legacy Wagon 2.5i Special Edition 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I bought the car as a lease return with 16k miles, here I am 6 months later and the car is just shy of 30k miles. This car is amazing on snow and ice, drove it from Seattle to Denver and on to Texas in the middle of the winter, handled the Rockies like a champ. I went 470 miles on a single tank of gas, and a total of 2200 miles in 3 days. The seats are supportive and the car is amazing to handle, I can always tell what it's going to do next. I'm sad to say my car got a little personal with a silverado at 35 mph, and he won, but the passenger cabin remained intact and I walked away with a bruised ego. An amazingly safe vehicle.

Favorite Features

The sun roof, radio, smart design of the interior, all of the controls are right were they should be. SAFETY FEATURES, cheap insurance, MPG.

Suggested Improvements

Parts are EXPENSIVE, Who couldn't live with more power?

Great choice for the snow belt
By Will

2006 Subaru Legacy Wagon 2.5i Special Edition 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

If you live in the snow belt (I'm in Alaska) it's hard to argue with this choice. Subaru's non-turbo models offer the best fuel economy currently available with AWD - I get 21 to 23 in the city (depending on time of year) and can get 30 on the highway (real numbers calculated at the pump). It would be nice if there were an AWD deactivation feature, but that might lessen safety and reliability. The cloth seats are great (leather is terrible in cold weather & bad for the environment/inhumane). You won't win drag races in this, but it's the only thing available that offers its blend of reliability, safety, AWD, a manual transmission, and good fuel economy in the same package.

Favorite Features

Crash test scores, reliability, looks (now the only non-ugly Subaru), more back seat room than Impreza (in 2006), interior styling & upholstery, improved fit & finish over prior Subarus, fuel economy (good for an AWD). It's a wagon with a stick shift - awesome (they don't make em anymore).

Suggested Improvements

Bring the diesel boxer engine over from Europe. Make heated seats & steering wheel standard.

2006 2.5i Limited Edition Legacy Wagon
By Chris Moth

2006 Subaru Legacy Wagon 2.5i Limited 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

Great family wagon. Very efficient for all wheel drive (30MPGhighway - and even slightly higher at times). Prior to this car we owned a '98 Outback, and an '89 Justy before that. Please bring back the weather radio. We miss that from the Outback! The cockpit is very sporty - but my and my wife's leg runs into the handbrake. It needs to be moved out of the way.

Favorite Features

Safety features, latch seats for the kids. Great pickup. Handling: Nice suspension and feeling of control. Fuel economy.

Suggested Improvements

Bring back the wagon, and manufacture some without sunroofs, for taller drivers.