2006 Subaru Legacy Wagon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Legacy model:
A "poorman's Porsche" 4 wheel wagon?
By Multisport transport on 11/29/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2006 Subaru Legacy Wagon 2.5i Special Edition 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

4 years and 75,400 miles and it's still a blast to drive. Very reliable except wheel bearing issues on both the front and rear passenger side wheels. Extended warranty actually paid off. (Had a costly transmission fiasco with prior Volvo all wheel Cross Country) Broke even this time. Combines practicality and style, costs less than an Honda Accord, handles better than VW Passat and offers the all wheel drive of an Audi A4 wagon which costs $15,000 more. I bought a Harley Davidson Nightrod with the savings. The long wagon roof line and additional interior space provides versatility for carrying gear for family vacations and outdoor adventures. Decent MPG range of 23 town & 30 on highway.

Everything I expected and more.
By Pete on 08/07/10 07:17 AM (PDT)

2006 Subaru Legacy Wagon 2.5i Limited 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

This is my third Subaru because, they're reliable, safe, versatile and somewhat fun to drive. In the winter, I just love strolling past numerous cars & SUVs that can't handle slippery roads. The Limited edition is fun on exit ramps at 55 mph. Those tires stick like glue. Accelerate instead of braking and see how fast you can go. The car will go faster in the corners than you're willing to go. Oh yeah, I love the side curtain air bags being there, just in case. 30 mpg Hwy in summer time, about 27 mpg hwy in winter. The wagon is bigger than friends mini SUVs, fits a lot of stuff. 116K so far, no big problems. Do your own brake jobs, their easy to do and cheap, $55 for all 4 wheels.

I don't miss my truck
By Reece on 06/05/09 20:01 PM (PDT)

2006 Subaru Legacy Wagon 2.5i Special Edition 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I bought the car as a lease return with 16k miles, here I am 6 months later and the car is just shy of 30k miles. This car is amazing on snow and ice, drove it from Seattle to Denver and on to Texas in the middle of the winter, handled the Rockies like a champ. I went 470 miles on a single tank of gas, and a total of 2200 miles in 3 days. The seats are supportive and the car is amazing to handle, I can always tell what it's going to do next. I'm sad to say my car got a little personal with a silverado at 35 mph, and he won, but the passenger cabin remained intact and I walked away with a bruised ego. An amazingly safe vehicle.

Great choice for the snow belt
By Will on 09/16/08 00:57 AM (PDT)

2006 Subaru Legacy Wagon 2.5i Special Edition 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

If you live in the snow belt (I'm in Alaska) it's hard to argue with this choice. Subaru's non-turbo models offer the best fuel economy currently available with AWD - I get 21 to 23 in the city (depending on time of year) and can get 30 on the highway (real numbers calculated at the pump). It would be nice if there were an AWD deactivation feature, but that might lessen safety and reliability. The cloth seats are great (leather is terrible in cold weather & bad for the environment/inhumane). You won't win drag races in this, but it's the only thing available that offers its blend of reliability, safety, AWD, a manual transmission, and good fuel economy in the same package.

2006 2.5i Limited Edition Legacy Wagon
By Chris Moth on 07/05/08 18:38 PM (PDT)

2006 Subaru Legacy Wagon 2.5i Limited 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

Great family wagon. Very efficient for all wheel drive (30MPGhighway - and even slightly higher at times). Prior to this car we owned a '98 Outback, and an '89 Justy before that. Please bring back the weather radio. We miss that from the Outback! The cockpit is very sporty - but my and my wife's leg runs into the handbrake. It needs to be moved out of the way.

2006 Legacy SE Wagon
By DesertEagle on 02/07/07 09:10 AM (PST)

2006 Subaru Legacy Wagon 2.5i Special Edition 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

My wife has to drive a lot for work, so we were looking for a reliable vehicle with some space for the family trips. In 12000 miles, this car has been great. Good luggage capacity, decent gas mileage (26mpg average), good handling, firm but comfortable ride, and AWD. So far not a single problem with it. Love the interior (except for the seats) and the overall build quality of the car. For a wagon, the styling is also very nice. The engine has OK performance, but the 4 speed auto transmission is the weak point. It takes FOREVER to kick down once you floor it. Luckily there is the manumatic feature. Overall, we love the car and would definitely buy it again.

We're Very Happy
By Canuck on 10/01/06 21:06 PM (PDT)

2006 Subaru Legacy Wagon 2.5i 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

We bought a Legacy partly because everyone has an Outback, partly because it cost less than an Outback, and partly because it's cleaner looking than an Outback. People say it looks like an Audi. We haven't been a bit disappointed. Because it is 2.5" lower than an Outback our Legacy corners great on curvy roads and provides as much as 30 mpg on the highway.

Great car for family and Michigan
By mrnoorde on 09/15/06 17:02 PM (PDT)

2006 Subaru Legacy Wagon 2.5i Special Edition 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

My wife had a Subaru WRX but when we had a child, she needed something bigger. The WRX was fun to drive, safe, and reliable so naturally looked at another Subaru. We knew we wanted a wagon with a manual gearbox. We also wanted better fuel economy, lower insurance rates, and something that does not take premium fuel. The Legacy 2.5i wagon manual proved perfect. My wife misses the WRX but once the Legacy had about 2000 miles on it, the engine loosened up nicely and works well with the manual gearbox. Yes, a little more power would be nice but 25 mpg around town and 30+ mpg on the highway is fantastic.

Just a review
By smith on 09/05/06 13:52 PM (PDT)

2006 Subaru Legacy Wagon 2.5i Limited 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

With the chunky Toyo Garit HT winter snows this car handled very well in most of what a harsh Canadian winter could throw at it. A pleasure to drive in the summer as well with the huge moon roof open. Tight handling - great.

Subaru Legacy Special Edition 2006
By guyatherton on 08/24/06 09:39 AM (PDT)

2006 Subaru Legacy Wagon 2.5i Special Edition 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

Since buying a new 2006 Legacy wagon in January it has proven to be reliable, fun to drive, practical and has an understated elegance. It is a comfortable car for long journeys. Increased rear leg room would be useful but it is adequate for adults in the back. The load space is very useful and the rear seats easily fold down to open up a large load area. The rear trunk cover is also well engineered and easy to remove (unlike that in the Volvo V50). The dashboard is well designed and attractive however the silver painted plastic around the gear selector scratches easily. The four speed auto-box works well, although having a 5 speed unit would be appreciated.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.