2006 Subaru Legacy Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Legacy model:
Mostly good - a couple of negatives
By ks1 on 01/05/12 08:02 AM (PST)

2006 Subaru Legacy Sedan 2.5 GT Limited 4dr Sedan AWD w/Black Int. (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Had this legacy (wagon) for 7 months now, replaced an 08 GTI for a turbo car with AWD. Overall pretty happy with it. AWD is amazing in winter, especially combined w/ winter tires. However, I find the suspension QUITE spongy. For a sports car more than an acceptable amount of body roll on corners, and squat while accelerating. Just not as buttoned down as a german car. Mileage is disappointing, 17-21 MPG with a mix of city and freeway. The interior is pretty nice, good leather, could use a bit more lateral support on the seats. Turbo has a nice linear build, not much noticeable lag. Compared to the GTI though, the 'fun to drive factor' isnt as high up as with the VW.

Good, solid, fun car
By Jon on 04/14/10 10:59 AM (PDT)

So far so good with 53k on the odometer. First time I have purchased a car used and it has worked out so far. I imagine that this would be a great everyday car for a middle-aged male not looking to sacrifice performance for everyday drivability. However, I bought this car with other intentions. With a few thought-out upgrades, you can turn this car into one heck of a ride. For about 1k you can keep up with a standard WRX, and for around 2.5k, you can run circles around an STi. A comfortable car on long trips and a a road demon when it wants to be (after a few tweaks.) Given that it holds up, I hope to have it for many years.

A Great Car
By Jim V on 05/25/08 09:01 AM (PDT)

I bought this car as a replacement to my 1999 Audi A4. While this car does not drive quite as nice as the A4, the way it drives still "feels" very German. And if this Legacy's reliability remains as solid as reported for all Legacys by Edmunds and other sites - I will continue to be very happy with this vehicle. It gives you almost all the best of higher end German cars with the reliability of a Subaru. It is so fun to drive. My only complaint is the quality of the leather interior. It just seems like the seats are starting to wear already. They don't have the same quality finish as the A4's seats. Other than that, I am a very happy Legacy GT owner.

Fantastic and sophistocated drive
By Marc on 02/23/07 20:33 PM (PST)

Would never have thought I would own a Subaru. Just saw this HOT car while out looking at the Mazda 6 on the other side of the lot. My final decision was between the IS300 and this car. The Legacy had more to offer for less money. It's been 6 months and I have 12,000 miles on it. Still drives, looks, sounds and smells like new. I will never be able to buy anything without the AWD. It is also very comforting to know you are in one of the safest vehicles. I would recommend this car to anyone; it is a fit for just about every type of person.

Great Car that Exceeded my Expectations
By Noel on 01/09/07 15:24 PM (PST)

I bought my 2006 Subaru Legacy GT to replace my Audi A4. I was tired of constantly repairing that car at great expense. Now that my car has 16K miles on it, I can report that I have had absolutely no problems with it (aside from a dead battery from my leaving the interior lights on for 4 days). After driving a German car for many years before this I can report that Subaru feels like a German car inside. Great interior. The suspension is nicely sprung and valved but the car does lean in turns more than I like. The engine is truly incredible. The car is faster than my 1980 Porsche 911 track car, which is not bad for a daily driver that included comfort. I would recommend this car!

WOW, who knew.
By edub on 07/30/06 19:27 PM (PDT)

I have researched and test driven many cars over the past 6 months -- Honda Accord, Acura TL, VW Passat, Nissan Maxima, Infiniti G35, and a 2007 Toyota Camry -- in search for the car with performance, styling, at the best price. I would put my GT up against any of these other cars. Some had a few more options, but for much more money. I only have 450 miles on this car, and I feel like the kid looking in the candy shop window and someone just gave me a $20. I couldn't be happier. THIS CAR IS FAST. Very stylish. Subaru should be proud.

GT Limited review
By Candy Cunningham on 07/18/06 12:07 PM (PDT)

Overall, a great car for those who prefer high-performance than those who prefer vault-like quality. My GT can't compare to quality of Camry/Accord, but those are family cars, not driver's cars. This thing is fast, has AWD, and comes with every imaginable bell and whistle. People compare it to other $30K sedans, but, with incentives, you can get one for $26K, making it a bargain compared to BMW 325xi, Volvo S40 and Audi A4. Only cars that can keep up are BMW M3, Volvo S60R, and Audi S4 - all close to $50K. I've had a few things go wrong, but warranty covered them.

Great car!!!
By Shaun on 04/23/06 19:13 PM (PDT)

I love this car. I love everything about it. By the look of the back of it, you could easily mistake it for a BMW. It is very fun to drive. It has a ton of speed and takes corners very well. The radio is also very good! It sounds just about as good as a Bose! I would probably say this is the best car you can by for less than $50,000!

WOW! I can't wait to drive to work
By ScottNevin on 04/06/06 21:52 PM (PDT)

What a car. Subaru as created a vehicle with attitude that doesn't flaunt it. I spent a year considering this new car purchase and I'm very pleased with my decision. This is a fast car with jet like g-producing acceleration. The interior is very nicely executed. The "cockpit" is a pilot's dream. The red instrumentation and electroluminescent dash are very comfortable for night driving. I'm glad I got the 5 speed gear box, the AT just shifts bizarrely. 60 MPH in 2nd gear, you bet. Don't buy this car for your teenager unless you like paying their speeding tickets! Fuel consumption runs at the lower end of the EPA ratings. Switch the display over to instantaneous MPG to get a real scare.

Blam.
By Josh on 03/31/06 06:39 AM (PST)

I drove a Mazdaspeed6, and hands down there is no comparison. Always on AWD, it shifts power to the wheels that grip almost in anticipation of your next move. It is the soul of the WRX with the body of an executive. I added a blow-off valve. and turbo gauge so I knew what was going on under the hood, and 12-15psi at full throttle is what awaited. I get no lag with the new valve and even an extra couple miles per gallon. I may add sway bars to improve cornering, though a strut tower bar is almost out of the question given the arrangement of the intake.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.