Used 2006 Subaru Legacy 2.5i Limited Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Subaru Legacy Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Legacy model:

2006 Subaru Legacy Limited junk
By subarujunk

2006 Subaru Legacy Sedan 2.5i Limited 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

Head gasket needs replacement at 79,000 gentle miles!! $1800! Outrageous. It is apparently a very common problem, despite what ANYONE says about the issue having been resolved from 2005 and newer. I'd expect that from 1979 Chevy Chevette, not a 2006 Subaru Car is only mediocre at every level. My 1992 Camry (that I kept as a spare car till a couple years ago) did everything better (except for winter traction of course). Transmission shifts poorly (again, my 92 Camry shifted more smoothly and confidently). First and last Subaru. My Toyotas and Nissans have all gone over 250k and never needed a head gasket replacement. DON'T BUY A SUBARU!!

Ok leather seats. Great in snow with studded snow tires.

Subaru should have Honda, Toyota, and Nissan supply their engines.

Never Regretted Choice
By Sue In Penn

2006 Subaru Legacy Sedan 2.5i Limited 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

My first Subaru was a 2000 Outback Wagon which I traded in after 115,000 miles (but was still performing fine). I did not hesitate to get another Subaru but I wanted something different so I got the Legacy sedan. It handles so great in fast curves that it makes me feel like a professional driver. As with the Outback, I've learned to absolutely love driving in the snow and despite driving a 70 mile roundtrip commute (in Pennsylvania) I've never missed a day of work due to snow. I work at a hospital and am on-call and have to have a reliable way to quickly arrive following an emergency call in and this car has never let me down. I've passed many stranded vehicles... even big SUVs.

AWD. Beautiful style gets compliments from young and old. Handles like a dream. Heated seats, wiper de-icers, and heated side view mirrors. Excellent paint finish. Fabulous bargain when compared to comparable cars. Fuel economy (average 27.5 mpg mixed). A real smart car.

Seats are still uncomfortable, especially on long trips. They should be roomier. Road noise and bumpy ride (both improved with different brand tire). BIG problem: snow gets caught in wheels, freezes and then causes tire misalignment and steering wheel shakes horribly. This with Outback also.

1 Year Review
By Troy

2006 Subaru Legacy Sedan 2.5i Limited 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I bought my Subaru a year ago and gave it rave reviews, and I'm here to second the initial review. This car has been outstanding. I have had no problems whatsoever, and like it more each day. The leather still looks phenomenal, and I average around 28 mpg (highway and local combined - about equal parts). My only gripe is that this model year did not have an AUX jack for my iPod and lacked a folding rear seat, both of which have been rectified. Get one, you'll love it.

Still love the 17" rims, interior is very comforting, heated seats are awesome in the winter, large trunk, nothing has gone wrong - at all.

Have been taken care of in newer models (AUX jack and folding rear seat). Would also like to see steering wheel radio controls and Bluetooth, but that's only because I'm lazy.

Oil change issues
By freogirl

2006 Subaru Legacy Sedan 2.5i Limited 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I love Subarus and I love this car. The interior is pretty sweet, so I wish the exterior would catch up. I think it looks too much like a Ford Contour from the front. But beware - we just had our first routine maintenance done and apparently the car's exhaust opening goes all around the outside of the oil cup, so when the oil is changed, residue gets in the exhaust and the fumes are overwhelming. I'm pregnant and can't drive the car until the smell goes away. The dealership told me its a design flaw that they were (hopefully) going to fix it on later models.

Interior lighting, dual heated seats, smooth, quiet ride.

I'm pretty upset about the oil problem. It will keep me from getting regular oil changes for sure. You can smell the burning oil inside and outside the car when you drive it, so its terribly unpleasant. I don't know how long it will take to dissipate.

Excellent Craftsmanship
By tdg

2006 Subaru Legacy Sedan 2.5i Limited 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I cannot believe that I don't see more of these on the road. This is the first vehicle I've bought and not had buyers remorse at all. Interior is wonderful: I like it more than my friend's Audi A4. 17 inch rims look great, and the ride is quiet, solid, and sure-footed.

AWD, heated leather seats (nice and firm), decent gas mileage, unique styling, hot rims.

Steering wheel controls, folding rear seat, aux jack for iPod.