Used 2006 Subaru Legacy Sedan Consumer Reviews - 87 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Subaru Legacy Sedan - Consumer Reviews

2006 Subaru Legacy Sedan

View reviews for a specific Legacy model:

Thought I liked it for about 4 months.
By Clay

2006 Subaru Legacy Sedan 2.5i Special Edition 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I'm someone who knows enough about cars, takes care and appreciates what I have and maintains my vehicles or anything else need be. I bought this car with confidence having a clean report and all the papers of maintenance work done. I had the recalls done asap and a inspection done on the car which turned out mostly on green with remarks that it was very clean for a Subaru with 150,000 miles on it. It recently had the water pump and belt changed (reports of it changed twice before) Gaskets done on time and most other routine maintenance done. About a month after I bought it I was getting a check engine for either the Catalytic converter or o2 sensor. I was planning on handling it soon, but since the check engine lighe would disappear quite often for weeks on end and the car was running fine, I figured It was no hurry. Then one random day (no check engine light, no leaks, no overheating) MY car went BOOM on the freeway. I lost control and had to pull over as it was shutting off. Got it towed to a specialist and they said the Engine was toast and it would cost 4500 to put a new one in!! This was very disappointing after all the hype around how reliable these cars are.

2006 Legacy GT Limited 5EAT automatic
By 02603sec

2006 Subaru Legacy Sedan 2.5 GT Limited 4dr Sedan AWD w/Black Int. (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I love this car. 195.8 K miles. It looks good, it is fun to drive and roomy. The leather is nice. The turbo lubrication design is weak. The access to repair is difficult. The bosses on the aluminum block are easily cross threaded. Oil level must be monitored very closely as well as change intervals. Excellent in snow, weather. Once you have AWD you'll never go back.
<br><br>
Update. 205,000 keep an eye on the rubber hoses and the factory original clamps. Once the car has 200k, these need to be replaced in advance of breaking down. I was convinced a leak was a head gasket, because it was losing coolant, but not on the ground. It was a small hose a weak clamp and coolant was escaping as steam under pressure. Replaced a rear wheel bearing. Easy work. cost of part was $50. Replaced the rotors and calipers.. old. The drip channel on the bottom of the driver's door is just about rusted through. On a scale of 10, I am a 7 in mechanical skill. I do ALL my own repair. If you're not at least a 5 on the mechanic scale, and have a garage and tools, do not buy this TURBO Subaru. A better choice at this mileage and age would be a normally aspirated Subaru.

2006 Subaru Legacy Limited junk
By subarujunk

2006 Subaru Legacy Sedan 2.5i Limited 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

Head gasket needs replacement at 79,000 gentle miles!! $1800! Outrageous. It is apparently a very common problem, despite what ANYONE says about the issue having been resolved from 2005 and newer. I'd expect that from 1979 Chevy Chevette, not a 2006 Subaru

Car is only mediocre at every level. My 1992 Camry (that I kept as a spare car till a couple years ago) did everything better (except for winter traction of course).

Transmission shifts poorly (again, my 92 Camry shifted more smoothly and confidently).

First and last Subaru.

My Toyotas and Nissans have all gone over 250k and never needed a head gasket replacement.

DON'T BUY A SUBARU!!

Ok leather seats. Great in snow with studded snow tires.

Subaru should have Honda, Toyota, and Nissan supply their engines.

Some good & Lotsa bad
By ohassen

2006 Subaru Legacy Sedan 2.5i 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

Bought my Legacy w/85k mi on it less than a year ago. If you're looking to buy one, this is what you need to know:
The GOOD: AWD offers great stability and makes the car fun to drive, good in snow but won't help you brake better in snow.

THE BAD: The AWD system is delicate, no more than 2/32" difference in tire tread depth.
Which means if you have 1 bad tire, you'll need to get 4 new tires as I have already done.
I've had recurring Alignment issues as did others.
I've had Tire Air leaking issues, as did others.
Engine hesitation/misfire seems to be normal even when bought new.
Gas mileage is not impressive. Used to get 25-27. Now I get 20-24 since the misfire issue got worse.
Never again!!

Mostly good - a couple of negatives
By ks1

Had this legacy (wagon) for 7 months now, replaced an 08 GTI for a turbo car with AWD.
Overall pretty happy with it.
AWD is amazing in winter, especially combined w/ winter tires.
However, I find the suspension QUITE spongy. For a sports car more than an acceptable amount of body roll on corners, and squat while accelerating.
Just not as buttoned down as a german car.
Mileage is disappointing, 17-21 MPG with a mix of city and freeway.
The interior is pretty nice, good leather, could use a bit more lateral support on the seats.
Turbo has a nice linear build, not much noticeable lag.
Compared to the GTI though, the 'fun to drive factor' isnt as high up as with the VW.

Turbo, AWD, a great sleeper

TIghten up the SUSPENSION. Or make a Spec B Wagon. No stability control on these models either.