Used 2006 Subaru Legacy 2.5i Special Edition Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Subaru Legacy - Consumer Reviews

2006 Subaru Legacy

View reviews for a specific Legacy model:

Reliability & a Great Driver Too!
By Ed

2006 Subaru Legacy 2.5i Special Edition 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I'm 44 & a driving enthusiast. I've owned many brands of cars. This Legacy combines the reliability & quality of a good Japanese brand with the driving feel of a European car. I traded in my VW Jetta and Audi A6 for this car and have never looked back. I was tired of the repair bills and inconvenience of the "down time", but thought I would miss the driving feel of those brands. Not so! The AWD makes the handling of this car very neutral, and the suspension soaks up bumps while remaining responsive. The steering has good feel and it's not too over-assisted. The normally aspirated engine revs easily and has plenty of power for daily driving & the 5 speed makes good use of it while adding fun.

Favorite Features

Power driver's seat is comfortable; engine revs freely; rock solid feel at highway speeds; fun to drive; AWD adds confidence and grip; that great throaty boxer engine exhaust note.

Suggested Improvements

Foot well is a little narrow for big-footed people (like me); parking brake lever hinders egress; not much room in the back seat for a car this size; shifter was a little "notchy" in some gears for the first few thousand miles.

Fun to drive
By Jeanie

2006 Subaru Legacy 2.5i Special Edition 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I love my car. It's fun to drive and it rides and handles really well. Can't think of a single negative thing about it. I'll be a Subaru owner for a long time!

Favorite Features

The sunroof.

Suggested Improvements

Better gas mileage.

Best Kept Secret in Affordable AWD Sedan
By Steve

2006 Subaru Legacy 2.5i Special Edition 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

After four Audi's, I wasn't in the game for another overpriced, high maintenance, and problematic German sedan. I also wasn't in the market for the terrible handling and riding Accord or Camry. I was pleasantly surprised when I test drove the Legacy; very good power, excellent ride, and great build quality. After a few weeks, it has exceeded all expectations I've had; it rides great; with a very good balance of ride quality to handling, has strong pulling power, looks great, and is very comfortable. Also, the dealer is great, no "high end car" attitude. If you're considering a Camry, Accord, Passat, A3, or A4 - do yourself a favor and test drive a Legacy - you'll be glad you did.

Favorite Features

Overall styling, strong/smooth engine, great ride and handling, balanced feel from AWD, fit and finish and materials, comfort of seats. SUBARU RELIABILITY!

Suggested Improvements

Better interior lighting (dome light should activate lighting in front seats as well as the center dome), retained accessory power, deeper note horn, remote functions built into folding key, offer Limited model with 5 speed transmission.

Great everyday car for anyone
By FMak

2006 Subaru Legacy 2.5i Special Edition 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Rock solid feel, handles like a BMW, can't beat the AWD in bad weather. Plenty of power for everyday use, engine has the nice Subaru Boxer growl. If you want to fly, opt for the Turbo. The mileage is accurate if you go easy, when driven hard expect 20-23 MPG, if you cruise on a daily basis,expect 2-4 MPG more.

Favorite Features

Interior design is top notch, good ergonomics, and comfort. 17" alloys are a plus, along with power driver's seat and moonroof for just $300. Definitely get the rear spoiler, makes the car.

Suggested Improvements

Heated seats and mirrors would have been nice, but otherwise, good solid car.

What a Car!
By Mike

2006 Subaru Legacy 2.5i Special Edition 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

What a car! After 12 years and 195,000 miles I visited my local Suby dealer in hopes of replacing my 1993 Impreza with an '05 or '06 Impreza. The '93 served me well, and is still running great today. Instead I was floored by my original sighting of the 2006 Legacy. One drive and I was hooked. I passed on the Impreza and scooped up a beautiful Legacy 2.5i SE. 5 speed. Silver metallic with a great looking two tone black interior. This car hits the mark in almost every category. looks, great performer for its category, comfort and overall user friendly interior and controls. I ungraded the unit with a rear spoiler, and fog light package. People often mistake my little Suby for an Acura. Love it.

Favorite Features

Overall exterior look. Performance. Very user friendly interior.

Suggested Improvements

E-Brake sits under your right leg, could be better located. Floor mats are "cheap" looking.