2006 Subaru Legacy - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Legacy model:
2006 Subaru Legacy Limited junk
By subarujunk on 02/20/14 13:37 PM (PST)

2006 Subaru Legacy 2.5i Limited 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

Head gasket needs replacement at 79,000 gentle miles!! $1800! Outrageous. It is apparently a very common problem, despite what ANYONE says about the issue having been resolved from 2005 and newer. I'd expect that from 1979 Chevy Chevette, not a 2006 Subaru Car is only mediocre at every level. My 1992 Camry (that I kept as a spare car till a couple years ago) did everything better (except for winter traction of course). Transmission shifts poorly (again, my 92 Camry shifted more smoothly and confidently). First and last Subaru. My Toyotas and Nissans have all gone over 250k and never needed a head gasket replacement. DON'T BUY A SUBARU!!

Some good & Lotsa bad
By ohassen on 02/25/13 20:13 PM (PST)

2006 Subaru Legacy 2.5i 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

Bought my Legacy w/85k mi on it less than a year ago. If you're looking to buy one, this is what you need to know: The GOOD: AWD offers great stability and makes the car fun to drive, good in snow but won't help you brake better in snow. THE BAD: The AWD system is delicate, no more than 2/32" difference in tire tread depth. Which means if you have 1 bad tire, you'll need to get 4 new tires as I have already done. I've had recurring Alignment issues as did others. I've had Tire Air leaking issues, as did others. Engine hesitation/misfire seems to be normal even when bought new. Gas mileage is not impressive. Used to get 25-27. Now I get 20-24 since the misfire issue got worse. Never again!!

Mostly good - a couple of negatives
By ks1 on 01/05/12 08:02 AM (PST)

2006 Subaru Legacy 2.5 GT Limited 4dr Sedan AWD w/Black Int. (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Had this legacy (wagon) for 7 months now, replaced an 08 GTI for a turbo car with AWD. Overall pretty happy with it. AWD is amazing in winter, especially combined w/ winter tires. However, I find the suspension QUITE spongy. For a sports car more than an acceptable amount of body roll on corners, and squat while accelerating. Just not as buttoned down as a german car. Mileage is disappointing, 17-21 MPG with a mix of city and freeway. The interior is pretty nice, good leather, could use a bit more lateral support on the seats. Turbo has a nice linear build, not much noticeable lag. Compared to the GTI though, the 'fun to drive factor' isnt as high up as with the VW.

Just a really well built car
By TW on 12/04/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2006 Subaru Legacy 2.5 GT Limited 4dr Sedan AWD w/Black Int. (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

Bought new in 2006, just hit 60,000 miles. Still love the car. It's been reliable, drives well, good interior size. It really is a perfect sports sedan. 4 adults can fit comfortably, the interior is simple but well put together. The car offers a very good power & handling. It's just an absolute joy to drive. I love how small it is on the outside, yet you do not feel cramped inside at all, especially compared against IS250, CTS..etc.

A "poorman's Porsche" 4 wheel wagon?
By Multisport transport on 11/29/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2006 Subaru Legacy 2.5i Special Edition 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

4 years and 75,400 miles and it's still a blast to drive. Very reliable except wheel bearing issues on both the front and rear passenger side wheels. Extended warranty actually paid off. (Had a costly transmission fiasco with prior Volvo all wheel Cross Country) Broke even this time. Combines practicality and style, costs less than an Honda Accord, handles better than VW Passat and offers the all wheel drive of an Audi A4 wagon which costs $15,000 more. I bought a Harley Davidson Nightrod with the savings. The long wagon roof line and additional interior space provides versatility for carrying gear for family vacations and outdoor adventures. Decent MPG range of 23 town & 30 on highway.

Everything I expected and more.
By Pete on 08/07/10 07:17 AM (PDT)

2006 Subaru Legacy 2.5i Limited 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

This is my third Subaru because, they're reliable, safe, versatile and somewhat fun to drive. In the winter, I just love strolling past numerous cars & SUVs that can't handle slippery roads. The Limited edition is fun on exit ramps at 55 mph. Those tires stick like glue. Accelerate instead of braking and see how fast you can go. The car will go faster in the corners than you're willing to go. Oh yeah, I love the side curtain air bags being there, just in case. 30 mpg Hwy in summer time, about 27 mpg hwy in winter. The wagon is bigger than friends mini SUVs, fits a lot of stuff. 116K so far, no big problems. Do your own brake jobs, their easy to do and cheap, $55 for all 4 wheels.

Good, solid, fun car
By Jon on 04/14/10 10:59 AM (PDT)

So far so good with 53k on the odometer. First time I have purchased a car used and it has worked out so far. I imagine that this would be a great everyday car for a middle-aged male not looking to sacrifice performance for everyday drivability. However, I bought this car with other intentions. With a few thought-out upgrades, you can turn this car into one heck of a ride. For about 1k you can keep up with a standard WRX, and for around 2.5k, you can run circles around an STi. A comfortable car on long trips and a a road demon when it wants to be (after a few tweaks.) Given that it holds up, I hope to have it for many years.

What a Find
By Landshark on 03/30/10 11:07 AM (PDT)

2006 Subaru Legacy 2.5i Special Edition 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I am not your "typical" import buyer. I only owned one other import make in my life and that was a Honda Civic I purchased new. That was built in Ohio, and this car is built in Indiana - an excellent selling point for me. My son crashed my Saturn Aura so I was put into the used car market, and my wife and I settled on looking for a good buy on a Subaru since we did not really want to have 2 trucks or SUVs. This little machine is great. I don't live where I can do the things I really like very often(boat, fish, swim, jet ski) but what we do have is some excellent twisty, hilly roads that those in coastal locals often don't have. With the Subaru,I get to have fun on my way home from work! Get1!

I don't miss my truck
By Reece on 06/05/09 20:01 PM (PDT)

2006 Subaru Legacy 2.5i Special Edition 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I bought the car as a lease return with 16k miles, here I am 6 months later and the car is just shy of 30k miles. This car is amazing on snow and ice, drove it from Seattle to Denver and on to Texas in the middle of the winter, handled the Rockies like a champ. I went 470 miles on a single tank of gas, and a total of 2200 miles in 3 days. The seats are supportive and the car is amazing to handle, I can always tell what it's going to do next. I'm sad to say my car got a little personal with a silverado at 35 mph, and he won, but the passenger cabin remained intact and I walked away with a bruised ego. An amazingly safe vehicle.

They should charge more!
By lorraine on 04/30/09 13:15 PM (PDT)

2006 Subaru Legacy 2.5 GT spec.B 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I bought this car as a single lady and then got married and added a couple kids. It fits life! Sexy, fast and fun but safe and dependable enough to put your family in it! I can't say enough about this car. The power is nuts. I cant believe the handling and of course it looks amazing for such a reasonable price. Lots of trunk space too.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.