2005 Subaru Legacy Consumer Review: Good fun, but turbo lag

2005 Subaru Legacy - Consumer Review

2.5 GT Limited Wagon (2.5L 4-cyl. Turbo AWD 5-speed Automatic)

Good fun, but turbo lag
By Wyosubie on

2005 Subaru Legacy 2.5 GT Limited AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

This is my fifth Subaru, including a manual WRX wagon and manual WRX sedan. I have also owned two V8 Mustangs and a couple of BMWs. ONCE IT IS MOVING a turbo Subie is great fun! From a stoplight, unless you beat it, turbo lag is still a problem. My 10 year old V10 Dodge Pickup is faster for the first 50 to 100 yards. Responsive, stable AWD handling; good feedback; stock Bridgestones average in dry - poor on dirt and snow. I average 23 to 24 mpg in mixed driving using premium fuel. Manual shift mode is entertaining and steering wheel controls are convenient and provide flexibility.

Favorite Features

Turbo provides strong mid and top end acceleration. Nice interior. Great moonroof! Exterior styling - especially from the side. Well engineered with good assembly quality. Better quality control than my wife's new Pilot.

Suggested Improvements

Continue to work on launch characteristics - lack of torque from standstill. As with my WRXs, the stock "high performance" Bridgestones are poor in inclement conditions. They prevent you from enjoying the full AWD potential of the vehicle. End up buying Dunlops for rain, slush and snow.