Used 2005 Subaru Legacy Wagon Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Subaru Legacy Wagon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Legacy model:

The Wagon That Will Beat Your Pants Off
By DKNY

2005 Subaru Legacy Wagon 2.5 GT Limited AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

The GT is a great vehicle in many ways. It's fun to drive, practical, reasonably sized and sensibly priced. Subaru reliability is excellent (I previously owned an Impreza). After 3 months and 9,000 miles driven I still enjoy my car, only occasionally thinking about the Audi A4 Avant 2.0T 6M that I passed up. The Legacy is faster, roomier, more reliable and less expensive. However, the Legacy does lack some standard and optional features that I would like in a car (which are available on the A4 and the Volvo V50): xenon headlights, vehicle stability control, satellite radio, MP3 capability, adaptive cruise control, headlight washers, full size spare tire, seat/mirror memory are all N/A.

Incredibly powerful engine, sporty handling, comfortable highway ride, attractive interior and exterior, excellent visibility all around, supersized moonroof, dual zone climate control, trip computer.

Highway fuel economy unimpressive (6th gear would be nice), moonroof cover squeaks, stiffer suspension would make this a true performance sport wagon, upgraded stereo (MP3/satellite), HID headlights with washers needed, OEM tires awful in wet, stability control needed, short-throw shifter a must.

I traded an M3 for this
By New to Subaru

2005 Subaru Legacy Wagon 2.5 GT AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

We're starting a family, so I traded in my dream car, a '97 BMW M3, for this car. Did I hesitate? Of course. But I'd do it all over again! This car has more horsepower (250 vs. 240), as much torque (250 vs 236), and on paper, is almost as fast 0-60 (5.9 vs. 5.7). On top of that, it's got a more comfortable ride, has an adult backseat, cargo space to burn (folding seats!), and a 2700 lb. towing capacity. Hellooo boat. The gauge cluster is very nicely done, except the confusing lack of boost gauge. Feature for feature, the Legacy has almost everything the M3 had, including heated sport seats.

Performance/AWD, Capacity. Appearance.

Boost gauge, stability control.

I love good design.
By tom m

2005 Subaru Legacy Wagon 2.5i AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

The 2005 Legacy is a very well designed vehicle . It is very balanced and of high quality. I am an efficient driver and the fuel mileage ranges from 25 mpg to 33 mpg. My only complaint, which this car shares with BMW and MB cars I have owned, is the drivers seat, which gives me a sore rump on long trips.

Drive train, fuel economy, feel of the road.

Drivers seat.

Puts a smile on my face!
By James

2005 Subaru Legacy Wagon 2.5 GT AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

After having this car for a little over a month, I can honestly say I enjoy driving again. After 8 years in a 4x4 truck and an SUV, I was looking for something, faster, safer and more fun to drive plus better mpg. My highest mileage so far was 25mpg during break-in which is an improvement but negated a bit by the required premium fuel. MPG drops if you get into the boost much but you will be grinning when you do. Auto transmission shifts very fast. Don't miss the manual. Car looks and handles great. Love the interior. Doors feel very solid. Whole car feels very well engineered. Really no competition at the price point. A grown up WRX.

Turbo, instrumentation, all wheel drive, looks and paint quality,

Auto locking doors, auto up/down for driver and passenger, No MP3 input, delayed power for windows seems an obvious omission. In 2005 is 28-30mpg highway too much to ask and still have 250HP?

Good enough
By ckc

2005 Subaru Legacy Wagon 2.5 GT Limited AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

This car replaced my 01 Audi S4 Avant. I didn't miss it anymore. This is a very good driver's car. Great utility. Good stereo with power sub. Shifting could be smoother, but the Short shifter is great. Several service related problems: low steering and gear oil noted within the first month of driving, malfunction cruise control that dealer can't fix until another dealer changed the O2 sensor. (I complained to manufacturer). Battery leak led to corrosion of the bracket; dealer replaced the battery.

Mid-range engine power, good handling, short shifter, power subwoofer, trunk, exterior styling, interior fit and finish, big sunroof, bright gauges, headlight at almost HID quality.

Dealership service, questionable built quality, wind noise with roof cross bars, too many steps to close the sunroof, one touch up windows, VDC, RDS for the radio, doom light up front.