2005 Subaru Legacy Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Legacy model:
What a car
By GunnMan on 06/30/05 18:00 PM (PDT)

2005 Subaru Legacy Sedan 2.5i AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

For years I had a Porsche 944. It got old and had 245,000 miles. Time to go. This Legacy drives very similar to the 944 in the mountains. You can set this car up in the corners very well. It's transient response in the switchbacks is remarkable - and this is a sedan! In tight hilly switchbacks - you can feel the car transitioning power front and rear. Do I have to complain? It could use a 6 speed. I'd buy this car all over again.

2005 GT Legacy Limited
By eric on 06/30/05 14:34 PM (PDT)

2005 Subaru Legacy Sedan 2.5 GT Limited AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

I bought a 2005 GT Limited in April. I got a very good deal because I paid cash. I love this car except for the gas mileage. Around town, the car gets a lousy 10 mpg and that's without kicking in the turbo. On the highway, it gets better, e.g., 23 mpg. I don't feel that Subaru is truthful about the gas mileage.

The car to buy...
By kohanlon on 06/30/05 09:27 AM (PDT)

2005 Subaru Legacy Sedan 2.5 GT Limited AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

The all wheel drive, 250 hp engine, way it hugs the road, sharp look inside and outside, smooth ride, 6 airbags, gentle braking and overall fun make this car a great buy. It has everything a person needs and wants in a vehicle. It has the luxury to compete with more expensive cars, the power of a sports car and safety for your most precious cargo. All it will take is one test drive to prove to you that this is not the Subaru of old but one that fulfills the potential of a Subaru vehicle.

Why buy a G35, TL, A4, or 330i?
By ekarno on 06/29/05 21:09 PM (PDT)

2005 Subaru Legacy Sedan 2.5 GT AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

You sacrifice a few irrelevant items (real wood, 6th gear, stability traction -- its got 4 wheel drive) in order to obtain a car that otherwise competes favorably in terms of pure performance with any A6, 545i, M35,TL etc., at 40% or more less cost. Only one word of advice; change the horrible Potenza RE 92's immediately for something decent such as Fuzion ZR1's or Avon MTech 500's. Brakes could use a bit of upgrading, but I haven't looked into that yet. Everything else is about nigh perfect, even the faux wood and brushed aluminum.

One of the best on the road!
By chris on 06/25/05 13:30 PM (PDT)

2005 Subaru Legacy Sedan 2.5 GT AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

This is my third Legacy....and the best, nicest, fastest, and most fun to drive yet! It turns heads everywhere I go, and performance-wise it totally hugs the road. The turbo engine and speed/handling is excellent, and the 250hp engine is a MAJOR improvement. My wife now drives my 2002 GT Limited sedan, and she is thrilled with it as well. It puts her Accord to shame with handling, safety, performance, and styling. I'll continue to buy Subarus from here on out - they've set the standard very high for performance and safety, yet they continue to keep the cost reasonable. GO SUBARU!

Fun Car
By Kris on 06/22/05 15:12 PM (PDT)

2005 Subaru Legacy Sedan 2.5 GT Limited AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

I just took delivery of my 2005 Subaru Legacy GT limited. I researched and drove the Acura TL, the Infiniti G35, the Chrysler 300C and the Legacy of course. I feel that all things considered the Legacy is just a great value. The build quality is excellent and this car is high in the smile category. I have driven 550 miles in just four days. I love it so far.

Consider the Legacy GT
By Bruce on 06/21/05 15:49 PM (PDT)

2005 Subaru Legacy Sedan 2.5 GT Limited AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

Thus far it has proved itself to me. It is great in the snow and just a fun car to drive. People have commented on the "great looking" car for months now. The mileage is better than I anticipated unless you horse around with the accelerator. It is well built and well designed and I like the way it handles. After considering several vehicles from BMW and others in the same price range I chose this excellent AWD Subaru. I had been a Saab owner since 1973.

Subaru GT
By wysiwyg08620 on 06/21/05 09:51 AM (PDT)

2005 Subaru Legacy Sedan 2.5 GT Limited AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

I have been a Subaru owner for 17 years, this being my 4th Subaru. I have been waiting for Subaru to come out with a turbo charged Legacy since the sport sedan (I owned a '92 with 140k miles). Given my previous experiences with Subaru, this is a great car. Some may say that it is not the fastest or best handling or even the most stylish, but it certainly has more than a fair share of each. Include the performance and style with reliability and I feel that it is a great buy. On my wish list is that the 2.5 was the same as the 300HP found in the STi. Also, the CD player's 'random' function does not go between the CDs and the FM/AM/CD function button is a bit far away for the driver to reach.

could be a mistake
By puglover on 06/20/05 13:12 PM (PDT)

2005 Subaru Legacy Sedan 2.5i AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

The transmission on my 05 sedan failed at 7,700 miles. A bushing failed causing the seal to burst and then catastrophic failure, high and low clutch burnout, etc. I'm concerned now about the quality of my Subaru.

Fun to drive
By micpudge on 06/18/05 15:10 PM (PDT)

2005 Subaru Legacy Sedan 2.5 GT Limited AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

Great car, fun to drive, lots of horsepower, great handling, I love this car, bought for $28,700, new with 267 miles on it. The motor is a little noisy but you don't hear it inside, and the performance makes up for it. I like the performance shift on the steering wheel but would rather have a stereo volume control. High performance, great car otherwise and with 4 doors for the kids.