2005 Subaru Legacy - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Legacy model:
Value for Money
By Joe on 01/14/06 12:23 PM (PST)

2005 Subaru Legacy 2.5 GT AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Excellent performance. Great cornering, very stable on the road. Capable of very rapid changes in speed. Only reservations -- manual seat controls and seat structure. On a trip in excess of two hours the seats have poor to no vertical movement control. As the seats are low it is difficult to be comfortable. Worse the passenger seat base will not go back far enough to accommodate long legs. In the driver's seat, I find the left foot rest to be too high in relation to the gas pedal for long ride comfort. Passenger seat base is lower to floor than driver's seat base which affects rear passenger comfort (cannot with comfort put feet under front seat).

great car except for the tires
By Johnny on 01/05/06 19:25 PM (PST)

2005 Subaru Legacy 2.5 GT AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

In the 5 short months that I have owned this car I have had 4 flats and totally destroyed one tire. I was told that the size of the tires is the problem by one person and other things by others. The service manager told me that it was my problem and that there was nothing that he was going to do. I would buy this car again, it is a great car in the snow and it is fun to drive.

Great Stealth Performer
By Keith on 12/27/05 14:40 PM (PST)

2005 Subaru Legacy 2.5 GT Limited AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I looked at a lot of vehicles before deciding on the Legacy. Audi, BMW, VW; but none compared to this vehicle for the price. This car has good interior room, with easy folding rear seats. The performance is excellent, especially in the manual with the short throw shifter. The fuel economy is a little less than what I expected, but the range on the tank is not good. I only get about 19-20 MPG with a range of just less than 300 miles. The AWD is wonderful in the Midwest winters. Overall, very pleased with the car so far and would consider another Subaru in the future.

EXACTLY What I Wanted...
By Paul Boehm on 12/25/05 18:09 PM (PST)

2005 Subaru Legacy 2.5 GT AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

The best thing about this car is its performance. Two hundred and fifty foot- pounds of torque accelerate the car very easily. And it's at a relatively low 3600 RPM. At 55 mph in fourth gear, and 70 mph in fifth gear, you are right at 3000 rpm; it is just begging you to hammer the throttle. So you are always on the lookout for a Maxima or G35. The brakes are smooth and precise. But best of all is the cornering power. Turn in just under the front tires limit and you get very mild understeer. Squeeze the throttle and feel the rear tires' slip angles increase. Start unwinding the steering wheel as you pass the apex and straighten it as you pass the trackout point under full song. AWESOME BALANCE!

Legacy GT LTD
By ken on 12/20/05 21:33 PM (PST)

2005 Subaru Legacy 2.5 GT AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Awesome car. There's no car better than this car for the price in terms of performance and luxury for under 30 grand.

WOW, driving is fun again!
By sanman76 on 12/15/05 15:46 PM (PST)

2005 Subaru Legacy 2.5 GT AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Wow, I have had this car a month now and I love it. It is the best car I have driven. It accelerates, brakes, and rides like a dream. Totally shocked at how nice the car is for the price. What other car can go 0-60 in 5.7 sec with the same build quality, all wheel drive, etc. for under $25k? This car will spank 3 series BMW's. People complain about the tires, but I find them to be decent for what I paid. Yes they wear out quickly, but it is because people who own this car push it to its limits. If you were to drive slowly (which is impossible for me in this car) your tires would last much longer. Overall, highly recommended. Trust me and test drive one!

awesome hauler
By Jeff on 12/15/05 04:38 AM (PST)

2005 Subaru Legacy 2.5 GT Limited AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

Recently bought a 2005 GT Limited wagon (used w/10,000 miles) for the wife. She fell in love with the power during the test drive! Initially I was looking at an old Audi A4 wagon but that was wimpy compared to this. Also I love the new Legacy styling. The car is an awesome performer. I drive a Jag XJR and honestly I don't mind using the Subie one bit! The winter performance and added trunk space makes it even better. For less than $30,000 it's the best wagon; highly recommended.

This Wagon Hauls More than Groceries...
By Adam on 12/05/05 10:19 AM (PST)

2005 Subaru Legacy 2.5 GT Limited AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Picked the car up in Dec. '05 as a new '05 model, The dealer was more than enthusiastic to unload the car (last year's model) and now I am more than enthusiastic to drive the car like it was meant to be driven. Power from the turbo-4 is more seamless than any turbo I've driven before. The engine is almost too quiet -- I've stalled it a couple of times because I can't hear the engine. As for fuel economy concerns, they are simply a matter of right foot activity. Lay off the accelerator, and it will give you 30mpg plus in highway driving. But where's the fun in that?

Oh My!
By Stealthleadfoot on 11/21/05 17:12 PM (PST)

2005 Subaru Legacy 2.5 GT AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

Bought the '05 Legacy GT 3 months ago. My wife and I liked it a lot right off the bat, and now, after 3500 miles, we like it even more. No buyer's remorse in this house. Seriously fast, AWD handles like a dream in all kinds of terrain and weather, restrained but classy interior and exterior, great build quality and very adequate safety features. This is our first Subaru, and it's certainly different from some of the older ones so beloved by many of our friends. We're glad we didn't pay the extra bucks for the runners-up. For one thing, being less popular, it doesn't look like Everyman's 'cheap' Beemer or Audi. Respectable adults with a delinquent residue -- go for it!

Must have been built on a Monday
By kd on 11/17/05 10:00 AM (PST)

2005 Subaru Legacy 2.5i AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

This car is fun to drive. Have had quite a bit of trouble with little things. Had the check engine light come on in the first 1000 miles of driving. Well, if any of you have had this problem you know that the cruise control does not work. Not good for long trips. Fuel pump went bad. In the shop three times for cruise issues. Do a lot of travel and not having cruise stinks. Had to adjust drivers window due to high pitch noise. Would not buy these high priced cars again. Does not hold value very much like other cars.