Used 2005 Subaru Legacy Wagon Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Subaru Legacy - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Legacy model:

Great Stealth Performer
By Keith

2005 Subaru Legacy Wagon 2.5 GT Limited AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I looked at a lot of vehicles before deciding on the Legacy. Audi, BMW, VW; but none compared to this vehicle for the price. This car has good interior room, with easy folding rear seats. The performance is excellent, especially in the manual with the short throw shifter. The fuel economy is a little less than what I expected, but the range on the tank is not good. I only get about 19-20 MPG with a range of just less than 300 miles. The AWD is wonderful in the Midwest winters. Overall, very pleased with the car so far and would consider another Subaru in the future.

Favorite Features

Manual with short throw shifter which was only built for one year in the wagon, stealthy performer, large moonroof, all wheel drive, interior space.

Suggested Improvements

Better fuel economy with larger tank for better range between fill-ups.

WOW, driving is fun again!
By sanman76

2005 Subaru Legacy Wagon 2.5 GT AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Wow, I have had this car a month now and I love it. It is the best car I have driven. It accelerates, brakes, and rides like a dream. Totally shocked at how nice the car is for the price. What other car can go 0-60 in 5.7 sec with the same build quality, all wheel drive, etc. for under $25k? This car will spank 3 series BMW's. People complain about the tires, but I find them to be decent for what I paid. Yes they wear out quickly, but it is because people who own this car push it to its limits. If you were to drive slowly (which is impossible for me in this car) your tires would last much longer. Overall, highly recommended. Trust me and test drive one!

Favorite Features

Turbo, ride, AWD, interior, rims, looks, dual exhaust, well pretty much everything.

Suggested Improvements

Perhaps better tires (Pirelli, Goodyear, or Michelin) and MP3 CD player and subwoofer standard.

awesome hauler
By Jeff

2005 Subaru Legacy Wagon 2.5 GT Limited AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

Recently bought a 2005 GT Limited wagon (used w/10,000 miles) for the wife. She fell in love with the power during the test drive! Initially I was looking at an old Audi A4 wagon but that was wimpy compared to this. Also I love the new Legacy styling. The car is an awesome performer. I drive a Jag XJR and honestly I don't mind using the Subie one bit! The winter performance and added trunk space makes it even better. For less than $30,000 it's the best wagon; highly recommended.

Favorite Features

Turbocharged engine! Provides an amazing thrust of power. What a rush. Heat and A/C are both very powerful. Huge moonroof. AWD makes snow not a problem.

Suggested Improvements

Near impossible to hard wire an mp3 player. C'mon Subaru, it's 2005! At least make it so the radio is replaceable. Mileage isn't too hot either -- getting around 17mpg average.

This Wagon Hauls More than Groceries...
By Adam

2005 Subaru Legacy Wagon 2.5 GT Limited AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Picked the car up in Dec. '05 as a new '05 model, The dealer was more than enthusiastic to unload the car (last year's model) and now I am more than enthusiastic to drive the car like it was meant to be driven. Power from the turbo-4 is more seamless than any turbo I've driven before. The engine is almost too quiet -- I've stalled it a couple of times because I can't hear the engine. As for fuel economy concerns, they are simply a matter of right foot activity. Lay off the accelerator, and it will give you 30mpg plus in highway driving. But where's the fun in that?

Favorite Features

-The zoom-zoom factor (sorry Mazda, this car's got you beat hands down) -Excellent interior -Ability to haul my junk around -Corners like it's on rails. Highway on-ramps are way-more fun now. -Super quiet engine at idle and cruising speeds -The ability to pass whichever car I want.

Suggested Improvements

-Despite comments above, fuel economy could be better. Saab has a 250 horse four-banger (2.3l) which will give you 15% better fuel economy in all situations. Rear seat legroom could be an eensy bit better. The engine is a little rough during spirited acceleration.

Excellent buy
By mindflayer

2005 Subaru Legacy Wagon 2.5 GT AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

Compared this to the Infiniti G35, Infiniti FX35/45, Volvo S40/60, and so on, and I found this "non-badge" car to be superior. I have a bad back, so comfort was critical, and the car delivered that and performance.

Favorite Features

Performance. Comfort. AWD. Did I mention performance?

Suggested Improvements

1) Faux wood. Lacks class. 2) No way to hook up my iPod!