2005 Subaru Legacy - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Legacy model:
Lemon Legacy GT Wagon?
By jorgeorge on 07/02/06 17:29 PM (PDT)

2005 Subaru Legacy 2.5 GT AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Recently purchased a new 2005 Legacy GT Wagon mid March of '06, guess it was a holdover from last year. This car has been back to the dealership 5 times, originally for check engine light as well as the cruise light. I also experienced shaking and loss of power each time. June 30, 2006, it went back AGAIN for same problem. I also didn't have the vehicle for approximately 15 days because of a rattle behind the dashboard which turned out to be some kind of 'cracked foam' right behind the firewall. I have as of today sent my 'certified Lemon Law letter' to the company hoping to get them to take back this UNSAFE vehicle. Not sure if I would get a Subaru again. To be continued.

The Good the Bad and the Ugly
By george on 06/23/06 17:08 PM (PDT)

2005 Subaru Legacy 2.5 GT AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Picked up this '05 Subaru in March. The good: performance, looks, handling, utility. The bad: gas mileage, low ground clearance, turbo lag or engine revving in automatic. The ugly: For over 2 weeks it was in for a rattle behind dash, which was then entirely removed, and waited for new 'foam' piece. The back for 'check engine light' twice. Have the car back now for 1 week and hope nothing else goes wrong. This is my second Subie because I think I got a good price since last year's model, and was less than the Audi A3 or A4 with awd. Performance is good though gas mileage stinks. And I don't like the way the auto transmission revs then shifts. I find myself using the paddle buttons or sport-shift.

SuperSportWagon!
By tintinet on 05/28/06 10:23 AM (PDT)

2005 Subaru Legacy 2.5 GT Limited AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Awesome car; terrific bargain; tuner-ready! Needs: AWD family and fun to drive vehicle (and I AM a sports car fanatic!). Considered: Audi S4 Avant (too pricey, too unreliable); BMW 330Xi and 5 series wagons (no manual transmission, slow compared to LGT); STI (wife wouldn't ride in it; too garishly styled; bit small for ski trips with kids). LGT Limited Wagon: beautiful as is; modified (ECU tuning; uppipe, downpipe, exhaust, tires, gauges, springs) a 320 HP/360 ft/lbs torque supersports wagon! Terrific aftermarket and enthusiast community for this car. Love it all the way!

13000 miles and no problems
By Chris on 04/26/06 18:56 PM (PDT)

2005 Subaru Legacy 2.5 GT AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I had a 2000 Audi A6 Biturbo and then upgraded to a 2003 Allroad, before I finally got smart and got the Subaru GT. It is just as quick as the Audi's, with more road nose, while the interior materials and finishes are 80% of the Audi's. The Subaru does not handle nearly as well as the Audi, but there are no mystery 45 MPH wobble, don't have to have the brakes replaced every 5,000 miles, and no electrical problems. (all of which plagued both my Audi’s) As a consumer I would say that Subaru took the A4 – A6 and copied as much as they could to make an inexpensive version that is much more reliable. All in all the Subaru GT has been a great choice for my family, but I do miss the A6 Biturbo

Legacy Wagon 2.5i
By Greg on 04/11/06 09:29 AM (PDT)

2005 Subaru Legacy 2.5i AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Last year I purchased the 2005 Subaru Legacy 2.5i wagon. I have been very impressed with the overall fit and finish of this vehicle. Its safety features were excellent and numerous. Its projected resale value was excellent. This vehicle has met and exceeded all of my expectations. I will be a Subaru owner for life.

Fun to Drive
By Pete Tannini on 03/28/06 10:45 AM (PST)

2005 Subaru Legacy 2.5 GT AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I owned a 2002 Subaru Outback and was not satisfied with its slow pick up and faulty clutch. I decided to give the GT a try and have never looked back. It's quick and handles great for a wagon. Love the 17" wheels.

Lovin' our new Subaru
By Matt on 03/18/06 10:32 AM (PST)

2005 Subaru Legacy 2.5i Limited AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I'm really pleased overall with the car. I love the smoothness of the ride, how well it handles, accelerates and brakes. The exterior design is wonderful and the interior is well laid out. Some of the interior panel fit is inconsistent but there are no rattles, squeaks or problems. I also had a great dealer experience and look forward to seeing them just for the routine maintenance.

Great fun for a family car
By MasterZeus on 02/13/06 14:08 PM (PST)

2005 Subaru Legacy 2.5 GT Limited AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

This car is great fun if you have a family. The back seat is a little tight, but everything else about this car is awesome. It accelerates like crazy. It has great build quality and well designed layout.

It Does the Job.
By Pacman 2004 on 01/27/06 11:41 AM (PST)

2005 Subaru Legacy 2.5i Limited AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

Car itself has been flawless. The rotors warped at 20,000 miles but dealer replaced them under warranty.

Wagon of the Year
By driver on 01/16/06 22:09 PM (PST)

2005 Subaru Legacy 2.5 GT AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

Had Legacy GT wagon since 6/05 and love it. I'm a closet gearhead but my job has me carrying a lot of trunk stock so I needed a wagon. This has it all, speed, agility, fuel mileage, space, and cool styling (for a wagon). 14,000 miles and still happy. Wished I had gotten the sunroof.