Used 2005 Subaru Legacy Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Subaru Legacy - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Legacy model:

Great Car. But some issues.
By Brian

2005 Subaru Legacy 2.5 GT Limited AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

My wife and I have owned this Scoobie for 4 years next month. While we love the car and truly love Subarus this car has had some annoying issues that the dealers can't seem to fix. Our car has been in three times for an annoying rattle in the dash. It apparently disappears when the service techs look at it (rolling eyes). The front brakes squeal when the ambient temperature is above 60 outside. I've replaced everything and they still squeak. Oh, the clutch went out at 38000. My wife and I know how to drive stick well and do not abuse the car. But this one let go at a very young age. Kudos to Subaru though for not stiffing us with the whole $1100 bill.

Love that turbo. Exterior design looks really sharp!!

Seat memory would be nice. Needs a six-speed gear box. Rpm too high in fifth gear. Should have waited and got an '06 spec "b". Note to S.O.A.: Fix the design flaw in the dash causing this rattle problem.

my subie
By my subie

2005 Subaru Legacy 2.5i AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Great car. When you step on the gas it takes a second to go then it takes off. The seats though can be more roomier and needs more leg room in the back. Never had mechanical issues. Love the all wheel drive it is great in the snow!

The all wheel drive, information center, styling

more comfortable seats, add power seats as standard,more leg room in back seat.

Great Car - but stumped the expert
By Jeff Lampe

2005 Subaru Legacy 2.5 GT Limited AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I have had the Subaru GT Ltd for about 9 months. I absolutely love this car, it fits me like a glove and drives like no other car I have ever had. It is classic, conservative, but with an attitude that I can turn on with a little pressure on the gas. I blow the doors off the hot little Hondas and German cars. The handling is tight and I love cruising around in it. However, things came crashing down after taking it thru a car wash. The ECU, bulkhead wire harness, integrated unit have been replaced and who knows what else is needed, certainly not the dealers or the Subaru expert knows why it will not start, or not run for more than 30 min. It has been in the shop for the past 9 weeks.

Turbo charged 4 cyl boxer, love the growl and the power. Handling is tight and responsive with the right tires (no the stock tires). Leather interior is very rich and the sound system is supurb. Manual 5 speed transmission is a must for the full driving experience.

Something has got to be wrong with the fuel/electrical system if when the car stalls in the car wash (nothing unusual was done - like spraying under the hood) and not starting. The diagnostics for trouble shooting leave much to be desired. 9 weeks in the shop is not good for a car this costly.

Goes like stink!
By White Devil Subie

2005 Subaru Legacy 2.5 GT Limited AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I bought this car after owning two Acuras (1998 CL and 2002 TL). I like quality, safe, reliable but high performance cars. This Subie has been the best car I have ever owned. It is also a very stealth mobile in that hardly anyone recognizes what this car is and what it can do. It gets decent mileage for what it is (a high performance car). It so fun to drive and is sure-footed in the snow and ice in Kansas City. It climbed up a serious incline on 14th Street in KC during a major ice snow without hesitation while all the other drivers were spinning their tires. My advice if you live in a snowy or icy area in the winter is to have two sets of tires (the stock Potenzas and good snow/ice tires).

Quick car with very impressive acceleration; it's the WTX for grownups. Good handling with AWD. Interior quality and design are great. Good sound system when you add the subwoofer.

Tires. The Potenzas are like ice skates in snow and ice.

Stand out of the crowd!
By Incubus

2005 Subaru Legacy 2.5i AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I wasn't really looking for a Subaru, altough I always liked the style; but I test drove one at a dealer almost by coincidence and that was it. I did what you are not supposed to: fall in love with the car. If you want to stand out of the crowd using regular and common Camrys, Accords, and Altimas, this is the car for you. Fun to drive, excellent handling, sporty style, and the AWD is excellent for my city where we get a lot of snow. A little bit small interior for big guys (I'm 6' and I don't have much room left). I'm impressed with the mpg given the AWD capabilities. Now I understand why some people say "once you get into a Subaru, you'll never leave".

Sporty, unique style, japanese reliability, excellent handling and ride, nice interiors.

More interior space (use some trunk space for next design), radio is way below average compared with same class competitors, "weird" sound of the boxer engine (it souns almost like a small diesel truck when is cold), stability control should be standard in all models.

• SUV