Used 2005 Subaru Legacy Consumer Reviews - 279 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Subaru Legacy - Consumer Reviews

2005 Subaru Legacy

View reviews for a specific Legacy model:

Great Car with Needs
By OK driver

2005 Subaru Legacy 2.5 GT Limited AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Bought my 05 Legacy GT limited about 5 months ago. I have owned/driven many different make/model cars including Subaru's. This one is a great improvement in terms of looks / performance / amenities compared to older versions. Subaru has been very smart to replace Volvo and Saab, and also sell cars right under the noses of Toyota/Honda/Nissan (Sad, the other 3 brands are suffering from declining quality. I wish made in the U.S. meant the same thing it did 30 years ago. My gripes: As new, it is overpriced. Still, reliability/build quality is below other Japanese cars. Cutting corners in interior / mechanical / material quality is stupid. People are not dumb.

power/performance/comfort convenience/safety options stereo system looks interior/trunk space cold weather amenities (there are many) headlight illumination inexpensive parts/maintenance

use better parts and options brakes (feeling and stopping distance. my 97 camry ce v6 stopped on a dime) occasional rattles coming from the dashboard road noise/insulation

Used GT Legacy rides like new
By Felix

2005 Subaru Legacy 2.5i Limited AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

My van got about 26 mpg and i fueled up every two weeks to top off a 20 gal tank. This car has seems to be getting better mileage. I agree with the others comments about the great ride and design so I will not repeat them. I just wish I bought this car instead of my Venture Van or Honda Accord. Sold my van becuase the engine gasket started leaking oil at about 50k mi. This car has more miles on it and the engine is clean.

Interior and exterior design. The turbo is a plus. I don't have a lead foot so I am getting decent mpg.

Better transmission. The 250HP seems to be a little too much. The current transmission is decent. Somewhat smooth. Then again it could be the turbo kicking.

Great Car. But some issues.
By Brian

2005 Subaru Legacy 2.5 GT Limited AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

My wife and I have owned this Scoobie for 4 years next month. While we love the car and truly love Subarus this car has had some annoying issues that the dealers can't seem to fix. Our car has been in three times for an annoying rattle in the dash. It apparently disappears when the service techs look at it (rolling eyes). The front brakes squeal when the ambient temperature is above 60 outside. I've replaced everything and they still squeak. Oh, the clutch went out at 38000. My wife and I know how to drive stick well and do not abuse the car. But this one let go at a very young age. Kudos to Subaru though for not stiffing us with the whole $1100 bill.

Love that turbo. Exterior design looks really sharp!!

Seat memory would be nice. Needs a six-speed gear box. Rpm too high in fifth gear. Should have waited and got an '06 spec "b". Note to S.O.A.: Fix the design flaw in the dash causing this rattle problem.

my subie
By my subie

2005 Subaru Legacy 2.5i AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Great car. When you step on the gas it takes a second to go then it takes off. The seats though can be more roomier and needs more leg room in the back. Never had mechanical issues. Love the all wheel drive it is great in the snow!

The all wheel drive, information center, styling

more comfortable seats, add power seats as standard,more leg room in back seat.

Great Car - but stumped the expert
By Jeff Lampe

2005 Subaru Legacy 2.5 GT Limited AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I have had the Subaru GT Ltd for about 9 months. I absolutely love this car, it fits me like a glove and drives like no other car I have ever had. It is classic, conservative, but with an attitude that I can turn on with a little pressure on the gas. I blow the doors off the hot little Hondas and German cars. The handling is tight and I love cruising around in it. However, things came crashing down after taking it thru a car wash. The ECU, bulkhead wire harness, integrated unit have been replaced and who knows what else is needed, certainly not the dealers or the Subaru expert knows why it will not start, or not run for more than 30 min. It has been in the shop for the past 9 weeks.

Turbo charged 4 cyl boxer, love the growl and the power. Handling is tight and responsive with the right tires (no the stock tires). Leather interior is very rich and the sound system is supurb. Manual 5 speed transmission is a must for the full driving experience.

Something has got to be wrong with the fuel/electrical system if when the car stalls in the car wash (nothing unusual was done - like spraying under the hood) and not starting. The diagnostics for trouble shooting leave much to be desired. 9 weeks in the shop is not good for a car this costly.