2005 Subaru Legacy - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Legacy model:
Son's Recommendation
By bspharli on 10/15/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2005 Subaru Legacy 2.5i Limited AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

My son suggested this car for me and I looked at it. The traction control and AWD are standard features. I listened to my son and am now the proud owner of a 2005 Subaru Legacy. It is a fun, fast easy to drive car. The ride is quiet and it takes bumps and such, very very well. I feel I am in a Cadillac this car has impressed me so.

Nicely done
By rzdbywolves on 10/14/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2005 Subaru Legacy 2.5 GT Limited AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

My wife had a 2k GT wagon that we replaced w/this one. All the issues I had w/the 2k (plain interior, road noise, inability to get out of it's own way) were addressed by the 05. Dynamically, the car is easily equal to many more expensive cars (we had a brief affair w/a 2k S4 avant- the subie is nearly as nice and about 120x more reliable). The design is nice, the ride and noise are well-controlled, power is excellent. Really a stellar deal for the price.

A mistake so far
By subaru owner on 10/12/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2005 Subaru Legacy 2.5i AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I purchased my Subaru Legacy 2.5i exactly three months ago. I have put 1500 miles on it. It has been a dissapointment to say the least. It has had numerous rattles in the interior, engine trouble when starting, fuzzy radio reception, and a broken heater and air conditioner. However, I do think it is a fine looking car. I would caution anyone considering this car to look at a more reliable option. This is a totally redone model for 2005 and there are plenty of problems that Subaru needs to work out. I would encourage anyone who has looked at this car to wait until these problems have been fixed for 2006, or to consider a more reliable option.

New Legacy
By Davies on 10/11/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2005 Subaru Legacy 2.5 GT AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

I traded a 2003 WRX for this 2005 Legacy 2.5GT Auto under a subaru deal where they paid off my WRX!!! The WRX was great the Legacy is even better. No turbo lag and takes off from a stop like a rocket. I've test driven Audis and BMW. Why would anyone pay over 10K more when all you are getting is real alumunum and wood trim for the price difference?

From a Forester to turbocharger
By sr wences on 10/08/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2005 Subaru Legacy 2.5 GT Limited AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

I had a 2000 Forester, which was an excellent vehicle, but since I don't haul much stuff around, including kids and dogs, I thought it might be fun to have a car with a little juice. I'd been reading about the Legacy GT, and when I took my Forester in for service, I drove the GT Limited and was immediately hooked. I made the deal on the spot and have been having fun ever since. Fast, well-designed, easy to read instruments. It's a little low in the mpg department, but that's my one and only complaint. It hugs the road and will snap your neck back if you engage the turbocharger. I would recommend the Legacy GT to anyone who wants to bring a little fun back in their driving.

Fun in the Sun
By VTCELTICS on 10/07/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2005 Subaru Legacy 2.5 GT Limited AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

If you want quickness and speed at the best value money can buy, then this car is for you. I elected to go without the tail, and from behind you can't tell what it is. I have yet to have someone go faster than this car from 0-100.

Great Car
By Happy Commuter on 10/06/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2005 Subaru Legacy 2.5 GT AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

Comfortable, fast, fantastic to drive. Turns 80 mile commute into joy every day.

Good Car
By iam on 10/06/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2005 Subaru Legacy 2.5 GT AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Power is addictive. I traded in a 330Ci for this car as I was sick of dealing with BMW service & arrogance. AWD great in slick conditions. Not as refined as BMW, but also 20G's less. I Had planned on a WRX, but got this for a negligable amount more. For a bit extra than WRX you get a bigger and better engine, no turbo lag (with manual), more room, better styling, and any new friends don't come from the "fast and furious" crowd.

Subaru Legacy GT
By Meka on 10/04/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2005 Subaru Legacy 2.5 GT AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

The optional subwoofer really adds depth to the stereo without having some stupid box. The rear trunk is larger enough to hold a couple of golf bags. The motor is strong enough to pull you through the gears with a smile. Plus it will leave behind all those stupid IS300's.

motoring nirvana
By mtaylor on 10/03/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2005 Subaru Legacy 2.5 GT AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

Congrats to Subaru for crafting a truly world class car. It was love at first sight!! Both the exterior and interior designs manage to be both fresh and timeless at the same time. After going over every square inch of the car I can't find a single production flaw! I'm still breaking the engine in, so I haven't taken full advantage of that beast under the hood, but even driving gently has been exhilarating! Handles like it's glued to the road, but somehow manages to ride very smoothly. Quite possibly the best seats of any car in this price range. Averaging 27mpg so far, pretty thrifty for 250 horses. German engineers everywhere are weeping!