Used 2005 Subaru Legacy Consumer Reviews - 279 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Subaru Legacy - Consumer Reviews

2005 Subaru Legacy

View reviews for a specific Legacy model:

This car is sweet...
By Ron Jackson

2005 Subaru Legacy 2.5 GT Limited AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

I have to say I truly love this car. I bought one in Oct '04. I went to the dealer really just to look, but they had exactly the one I was looking for (color, options) and I bought it right then. I have had one minor problem with a faulty cooling fan relay which they fixed and also gave me a good will offering for the trouble. This car handles great, has great acceleration, is comfortable, and everyone I know would like to have it. Random people ask me about it quite often. This is one of my favorite cars I have ever owned and I have had about 7 or 8 different vehicles now. If you have the money, go buy one.

The turbo 2.5l engine, manual transmission, all wheel drive, 6 disc CD changer, turn signal mirrors, rear spoiler, 17 inch aluminum wheels, dark regal blue paint (awesome color).

An STi version of this car would be amazing. I plan on upgrading my suspension, and power. More wheel options, better sound system (speakers).

...it gets better
By HappyOwner

2005 Subaru Legacy 2.5 GT Limited AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

This is my 4th Subaru. With my previous one being the 98 Legacy GT, I can honestly say this is a whole different experience from the traditional Subaru owning experience. I loved my 98, but always wanted a bit more...well the 2005 gives it. Add a few hundred more and it gets better...just add K&N stock replacement air filter and Cobb Tuning AccessPort (you will feel the difference, without getting your hands dirty). Subaru has really stepped up to offer its loyal owners something to brag about other than reliability and AWD.

Improved performance over past models.

More options...might be nice to get sunroof without Limited trim package. Improved engine/turbo tuning at factory. AccessPort tuning reduces lower RPM lags.

The Wagon That Will Beat Your Pants Off
By DKNY

2005 Subaru Legacy 2.5 GT Limited AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

The GT is a great vehicle in many ways. It's fun to drive, practical, reasonably sized and sensibly priced. Subaru reliability is excellent (I previously owned an Impreza). After 3 months and 9,000 miles driven I still enjoy my car, only occasionally thinking about the Audi A4 Avant 2.0T 6M that I passed up. The Legacy is faster, roomier, more reliable and less expensive. However, the Legacy does lack some standard and optional features that I would like in a car (which are available on the A4 and the Volvo V50): xenon headlights, vehicle stability control, satellite radio, MP3 capability, adaptive cruise control, headlight washers, full size spare tire, seat/mirror memory are all N/A.

Incredibly powerful engine, sporty handling, comfortable highway ride, attractive interior and exterior, excellent visibility all around, supersized moonroof, dual zone climate control, trip computer.

Highway fuel economy unimpressive (6th gear would be nice), moonroof cover squeaks, stiffer suspension would make this a true performance sport wagon, upgraded stereo (MP3/satellite), HID headlights with washers needed, OEM tires awful in wet, stability control needed, short-throw shifter a must.

Legacy
By Trish

2005 Subaru Legacy 2.5 GT Limited AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I would rather have my Infiniti G35 back. The quality of the Legacy is not there. Also, I rather spend $30,000 on a car with quality and one that holds its value. I have had the Legacy since Nov. 2004 and it is a big negative $10,000. For those who love Subaru, good luck to you but I will never buy another.

Dealers need to sell the car for a more reasonable price like $15,000.

Real World Performance
By Dr Dave

2005 Subaru Legacy 2.5 GT AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

As a forty something that wants practicality, fun, style, and drives regularly on the winter worn mountains of North Idaho, the Subaru Legacy GT about perfectly fits the bill. I regularly drive a 40 mile commute up an interstate mountain pass, then take the old highway, (now partly gravel, mostly partly broken pavement, with wonderful banks and curves). The GT handles the interstate curves smoothly and quickly, extremely stable. On gravel and rough pavement, my Playstation Gran Turismo experience is transformed into real life. Absolutely tight body and chassis, and so far no reliability problems.

Excellent rough road handling. Extremely usable powerband for quick roads.

Audio jacks for my Ipod would be great. Rear end styling is a little baroque.