Used 2005 Subaru Legacy Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Subaru Legacy - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Legacy model:

Harsh reviews
By P

2005 Subaru Legacy Sedan 2.5i AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I dont know about the turbo model, but the non-turbo base was 19k out the door. With that considered, any minor defect this ok with me if it get fixed under warranty. Car has been good, great handling, plows through snow and rain and the design is nice. Engine power is pretty weak but at 28 mpg average (with AWD mind you) is a pretty good trade off. Some of the minor issues with mine. Some kick panels in the interior were not assembled correctly and I had to fix them myself, dash rattle, and 2 wheel bearings went bad under warranty. Other than that not a single problem. Shade tree mechanics will find the car easy to work on, brakes, oil, plugs all easy to service.

Favorite Features

AWD and design

Suggested Improvements

More engine power and seat adjustments.

One of the Best Used Car to Buy
By Wong

2005 Subaru Legacy Sedan 2.5 GT Limited AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I bought this car used in 2009. Now has 76,000 miles. Now, 5 years later the car runs just like new sill. The paint isn't the best but every car now has bad paint. There is only one rattle but only comes once in a long time other wise everyday its quiet. Some people complain about wind noise because of frame less window but I don't hear and I know there is no wind noise unless its 30 mph winds but even cars with framed windows will here that. Seats are comfortable for shorter trips. It doesn't have all the new toys that 2010 cars now have but you don't need it. Like back-up camera, gps, mp3, push start etc. If you can drive without the new toys this is a good car to buy with awd standard

Favorite Features

It' a Subaru. manual transmission, Don't see one every time you go somewhere, turbo engine, frame less window, interior styling, seats, pretty much everything

Suggested Improvements

The paint quality is to easy to scratch. Have a auto window up. Have hid headlights standard. Design soda or cup holders not mug holders I don't drink coffee. My soda slides everywhere because if that design

Recent reviews have been wonky
By Henry

2005 Subaru Legacy Sedan 2.5 GT Limited AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

It's as if other companies are trying to artificially bring down the rating so I felt compelled to give this car a proper review - throughout the last 5 years, it has repeatedly proven itself as a solid, reliable, and fast car at a steal of a price. There is no way around it.

Favorite Features

Great for cruising around, but also has the proper preparations when the weather goes to crap. Roomy, safe, doesn't break down like its Euro counterparts, and has a nice turbo kick when you need it. One of the better looking Subaru's.

Suggested Improvements

Gas mileage is meh. Also, I wish the iPod was invented a few years earlier - there's no auxiliary port.

This car is been great!
By Bobo

2005 Subaru Legacy Sedan 2.5 GT Limited AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

I have owned this car since I bought it from the show room in 2004, when this new style just came out. I still love my car and its still running strong with almost 90K miles. I haven't had any problem with regular routine maintenance.

Favorite Features

AWD, steering wheel, leather seats.

Suggested Improvements

HID/Xenon lights, bluebooth, and ipod/iphone interface.

5 time owner ultimately disappointed
By Subilove

2005 Subaru Legacy Sedan 2.5 GT AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

Long time Subaru owner- this 05' Legacy GT-bought new, had for 4.5 yrs & sad; by far a let down, poor quality of electronics & mechanically. So far w/ just 60k miles I have replaced CV half shaft, Power steering pump, stereo, ac unit, main window switch, seat belt unit, tires x2, brakes, the lights by the shifter stopped being lit at 20k & now the power steering is going again & its running warm. She has shifted hard coming out of 1st, it feels like I'm being rear-ended =( windshield rattled- dealership fixed. She was well maintained, not ran hard at all. Just a total let down and a reminder never to buy after the release of a new redesign wait a couple years until they get the kinks out.

Favorite Features

Power, grip, loaded, and timeless beautiful design

Suggested Improvements

poor MPG, Poor quality (unlike Subaru), Dealer only parts