Used 2005 Subaru Legacy Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Subaru Legacy - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Legacy model:

SUBARU GT LTD LEGACY
By GERALD EGNA

2005 Subaru Legacy Sedan 2.5 GT Limited AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

This is my third Subaru, and the best. Previously had 1999 Outback, 2002 Outback and now '05 GT Limited Legacy. This is by far the most fun to drive car I have owned. I have had quite a few people ask me about my car, and highly recommend it.

Favorite Features

4WD, 5 speed auto, turbo 250hp, leather seats, excellent build quality.

Suggested Improvements

Passenger seat should be six way adjustable, same as drivers seat. Make rear seats fold down, as in '99 models. Needs rain gutters so that when door is opened rain doesn't enter car. Increase gas mileage, and be able to use regular gas instead of premium. Make car easier to enter.

Best in Snow, fun in sun
By DrM

2005 Subaru Legacy Sedan 2.5 GT Limited AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

A survived a 40 mile commute during this last Ohio winter because of this car. Excellent handling in ice and snow. Sport shifting down much safer then braking on ice. It is nice to have the automatic with the option to shift manual. Now that the sun is out the sun roof is open. I love down shifting and zooming up steep hills.

Favorite Features

Purr of turbo, rapid acceleration, comfortable seats, snow driving.

Suggested Improvements

None really. The only suggestion is to reposition cup holders as the arm rest can interfere with the second hole. Fuel economy is my fault. I can't resist putting pedal to metal.

Great Value
By snscat

2005 Subaru Legacy Sedan 2.5i AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Just purchased several days ago so here are my first impressions. It has a surprising amount of power for a four cylinder. The manual transmission feels easier to shift than the Impreza. The seats are very adjustable and comfortable. The stereo is pretty good for a factory unit with no upgrades. Mileage so far has been surprisingly good. The car is very smooth and handles great. Quiet ride even at highway speeds. The sound of the engine takes a little getting used to, but it grows on you. The trunk is pretty large and has a pass through for narrow objects. The car features a full assortment of airbags. In all, this is a great car with a lot of nice features for a reasonable price.

Favorite Features

All wheel drive makes for great handling and should be great in bad weather. Surprisingly fun to drive. Great mileage for AWD. Trip computer is neat, we'll see how accurate it is. Sporty exterior especially with spoiler. Alloy wheels are nice on entry model. The dash looks very classy at night.

Suggested Improvements

Hate the plastic steering wheel and shifter. They will be replaced. Windows are slow to go up and down. Floor mats seem a little cheap. The steering could also be a little quicker in the base model.

First Legacy
By kat95

2005 Subaru Legacy Sedan 2.5i Limited AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

My first Subaru was a 1995 Impreza coupe which I loved dearly. For practicality I had to get the Legacy so hubby would be a bit more comfortable. I have had the Legacy one week and have not quite warmed up to it. Time will tell if it's reliable. I can say that Subaru in general makes a good car. I live in snow country and can attest to the AWD; I couldn't picture driving anything else.

Favorite Features

AWD, nice looking sedan, easy to drive for a small person (me).

Suggested Improvements

Folding rear seat, telescoping and audio controls on steering wheel, bigger trunk, longer, wider, more lateral thigh support for taller people memory seat. Better gas mileage.

What a sweet ride
By MD

2005 Subaru Legacy Sedan 2.5 GT AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

I just selected the 2005 Legacy GT as my company car, over the Nissan Altima 3.5 SE and Acura TSX. My budget prevented me from getting the Limited, so I'm without the leather and sunroof (both Nissan and Acura were loaded), but I made a great decision. This is my 3rd Legacy GT ('93, '97), and the 2005 is a different animal. 250 hp makes it faster than hell and build quality is a quantum leap forward -- it is remarkably quiet, solid and corners like it's on rails. I smile every time the door closes with a reassuring thud that would be the envy of BMW, Audi, Honda or Mercedes owners. Joy to drive on the highway; it wants to run. Subaru really took a step forward with the Legacy GT.

Favorite Features

250 HP = gobs of power; gauge cluster; heated cloth seats; very quiet interior; Momo steering wheel feels great.

Suggested Improvements

Stereo controls on steering wheel; pause button for CD changer; mute button for stereo; ability to cancel A/C when climate control is on Auto; sunglasses holder in roof.