2005 Subaru Legacy 2.5i Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Subaru Legacy - Consumer Reviews

2005 Legacy Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Legacy model:

Sort Reviews by

Son's Recommendation
By bspharli

2005 Subaru Legacy Sedan 2.5i Limited AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

My son suggested this car for me and I looked at it. The traction control and AWD are standard features. I listened to my son and am now the proud owner of a 2005 Subaru Legacy. It is a fun, fast easy to drive car. The ride is quiet and it takes bumps and such, very very well. I feel I am in a Cadillac this car has impressed me so.

Favorite Features

The sporty "looks like it is moving" look is very attractive. The driver's airbag force is automatically adjusted based on the calculations such as seat distance and driver distance from steering wheel. This makes it more protective on the legs than vehicles which do not have this feature.

A mistake so far
By subaru owner

2005 Subaru Legacy Sedan 2.5i AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I purchased my Subaru Legacy 2.5i exactly three months ago. I have put 1500 miles on it. It has been a dissapointment to say the least. It has had numerous rattles in the interior, engine trouble when starting, fuzzy radio reception, and a broken heater and air conditioner. However, I do think it is a fine looking car. I would caution anyone considering this car to look at a more reliable option. This is a totally redone model for 2005 and there are plenty of problems that Subaru needs to work out. I would encourage anyone who has looked at this car to wait until these problems have been fixed for 2006, or to consider a more reliable option.

Favorite Features

I like the look of the car. It is one of the best looking cars on the road.

Suggested Improvements

There are too many to list. Make the car more reliable! I have put 1500 miles on the car, I should not be experiencing so many prbblems.

New Legacy
By Davies

2005 Subaru Legacy Sedan 2.5 GT AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

I traded a 2003 WRX for this 2005 Legacy 2.5GT Auto under a subaru deal where they paid off my WRX!!! The WRX was great the Legacy is even better. No turbo lag and takes off from a stop like a rocket. I've test driven Audis and BMW. Why would anyone pay over 10K more when all you are getting is real alumunum and wood trim for the price difference?

Favorite Features

It's fast, smooth and quiet. My wife is impressed with the ride quality but the speed scares her. My dealer in Little Rock, AR is excellent.

Suggested Improvements

Power front seats. I don't think the seats are as supportive as the ones in my traded WRX.

From a Forester to turbocharger
By sr wences

2005 Subaru Legacy Sedan 2.5 GT Limited AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

I had a 2000 Forester, which was an excellent vehicle, but since I don't haul much stuff around, including kids and dogs, I thought it might be fun to have a car with a little juice. I'd been reading about the Legacy GT, and when I took my Forester in for service, I drove the GT Limited and was immediately hooked. I made the deal on the spot and have been having fun ever since. Fast, well-designed, easy to read instruments. It's a little low in the mpg department, but that's my one and only complaint. It hugs the road and will snap your neck back if you engage the turbocharger. I would recommend the Legacy GT to anyone who wants to bring a little fun back in their driving.

Favorite Features

Sound system; 6-CD changer and radio controls are easy to read and use. The trunk is plenty big and it has enough cubby holes and cup holders to satisfy all but the more obssessive packrats.

Suggested Improvements

I wish there was a speaker upgrade. I have the woofer, and unless I leave it at zero or even in the minus, I get rattling in the small speakers in the door. Also would like a built-in GPS. I have a Garmin that plugs into the cigarette lighter and works fine, but a factory-installed would be nice.

Fun in the Sun
By VTCELTICS

2005 Subaru Legacy Sedan 2.5 GT Limited AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

If you want quickness and speed at the best value money can buy, then this car is for you. I elected to go without the tail, and from behind you can't tell what it is. I have yet to have someone go faster than this car from 0-100.

Favorite Features

Quickness and speed

Suggested Improvements

Better interior

Good Car
By iam

2005 Subaru Legacy Sedan 2.5 GT AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Power is addictive. I traded in a 330Ci for this car as I was sick of dealing with BMW service & arrogance. AWD great in slick conditions. Not as refined as BMW, but also 20G's less. I Had planned on a WRX, but got this for a negligable amount more. For a bit extra than WRX you get a bigger and better engine, no turbo lag (with manual), more room, better styling, and any new friends don't come from the "fast and furious" crowd.

Favorite Features

1. Engine 2. Engine 3. Engine

Suggested Improvements

STABILITY CONTROL!!!! Geez, everyone has it now. Make center console wider to allow right leg to rest off of emergency brake handle; add thigh support extension to driver seat; move center air vents to storage bin area-- get A/C off of hands an on to body. Add flat cargo net cover to trunk.

Great Car
By Happy Commuter

2005 Subaru Legacy Sedan 2.5 GT AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

Comfortable, fast, fantastic to drive. Turns 80 mile commute into joy every day.

Favorite Features

Sport shift

Suggested Improvements

Telescoping steering wheel, better stereo.

Subaru Legacy GT
By Meka

2005 Subaru Legacy Sedan 2.5 GT AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

The optional subwoofer really adds depth to the stereo without having some stupid box. The rear trunk is larger enough to hold a couple of golf bags. The motor is strong enough to pull you through the gears with a smile. Plus it will leave behind all those stupid IS300's.

Favorite Features

The best feature is the steering wheel. The momo steering wheel adds that added bit of sports car feel that takes you from a 4-door sedan to a sports sedan.

Suggested Improvements

One suggestion is to offer a sunfoof option for the GT without getting the leather interior.

motoring nirvana
By mtaylor

2005 Subaru Legacy Sedan 2.5 GT AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

Congrats to Subaru for crafting a truly world class car. It was love at first sight!! Both the exterior and interior designs manage to be both fresh and timeless at the same time. After going over every square inch of the car I can't find a single production flaw! I'm still breaking the engine in, so I haven't taken full advantage of that beast under the hood, but even driving gently has been exhilarating! Handles like it's glued to the road, but somehow manages to ride very smoothly. Quite possibly the best seats of any car in this price range. Averaging 27mpg so far, pretty thrifty for 250 horses. German engineers everywhere are weeping!

Favorite Features

Whoosh of acceleration, handling, flawless interior/exterior design and execution, awesome seats, electroluminescent lighting (my heart skips a beat during the start up sweep), not driving a cookie-cutter car. Overall, this is an unbeatable value, assuming Subaru reliability for this new model.

Suggested Improvements

Really stretching here, but the center armrest extension should be standard equipment. A rear wiper for the rear window would be nice. The quality of the sound system, though good, isn't quite up to the level of the rest of the car.

Great Car for the Money
By G in Reno

2005 Subaru Legacy Sedan 2.5i AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

This car is great. Has good styling, performance, and a smooth ride. It is a pretty roomy car for the price and should accomidate a family. The safety features and AWD is also a plus.

Favorite Features

Performance, Handling, and the ride

Suggested Improvements

Only had the car a couple of weeks, so no complaints.