2005 Subaru Legacy Wagon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Legacy model:
05 GT Wagon
By whitehe9 on 06/28/11 10:03 AM (PDT)

2005 Subaru Legacy Wagon 2.5 GT Limited AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

This is the most performance for the $ you can possibly have on 4 wheels. Read the reviews - said about that. However, the 05 model and possibly others has a major problem with turbo failure, which is not the fault of the turbo but a design failure by Subaru. This is fact and other buyers and independent mechanics agree - read forums. This a $3000 repair by the dealer but you can usually find used or aftermarket turbos for $500 and have a mechanic install it but it is likely to fail again without modificaitons to the oil tubing. Bottom line is change your oil often <3000mi and buy a spare turbocharger. Out of 115,000miles, this is my only complaint (failure just outside 60k warranty period)

WOW
By Idawg on 07/26/07 07:21 AM (PDT)

2005 Subaru Legacy Wagon 2.5 GT Limited AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

This is my 3rd Subaru, and is by far the best to date. I had a 96 outback, then a 2004 Outback 2.5 limited, but this car blows them away. The turbo kicks in quickly, and will give you the tell-tale neck jerk! The interior is such a beautiful hole poked tan leather, you want it at home. I was never a fan of blue cars, but the regal blue looks great with the 17" wheels and lo-pro tires. Huge sunroof! Buy one!!

Great value
By ultimate driver on 11/17/06 16:06 PM (PST)

2005 Subaru Legacy Wagon 2.5 GT Limited AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

After driving BMW's, Corvettes and Audis, I needed something that would drive well in all weather conditions, including snow and ice, and yet give me good performance with superior reliability and that was also fun to drive. The Legacy GT wagon with the turbo and 5 speed short throw stick is all of the above and then some. I highly recommend it, and at the price, there simply isn't anything else that comes even close. GREAT car.

2005 Subaru Wagon. Great value
By Lodgical on 08/28/06 13:47 PM (PDT)

2005 Subaru Legacy Wagon 2.5 GT Limited AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

The dealer is 200 miles away, but the service was superior to any closer dealers. The power is fantastic - roll on from any speed and you have lots of it. The car could use a few niceties, such as stereo controls on the steering wheel, memory seats and a little more rear leg room. Other than that, it has been reliable, fun to drive and comfortable. We just returned from a family vacation of 3000 miles return trip. Not many complaints from my wife and daughter.

SuperSportWagon!
By tintinet on 05/28/06 10:23 AM (PDT)

2005 Subaru Legacy Wagon 2.5 GT Limited AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Awesome car; terrific bargain; tuner-ready! Needs: AWD family and fun to drive vehicle (and I AM a sports car fanatic!). Considered: Audi S4 Avant (too pricey, too unreliable); BMW 330Xi and 5 series wagons (no manual transmission, slow compared to LGT); STI (wife wouldn't ride in it; too garishly styled; bit small for ski trips with kids). LGT Limited Wagon: beautiful as is; modified (ECU tuning; uppipe, downpipe, exhaust, tires, gauges, springs) a 320 HP/360 ft/lbs torque supersports wagon! Terrific aftermarket and enthusiast community for this car. Love it all the way!

Great Stealth Performer
By Keith on 12/27/05 14:40 PM (PST)

2005 Subaru Legacy Wagon 2.5 GT Limited AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I looked at a lot of vehicles before deciding on the Legacy. Audi, BMW, VW; but none compared to this vehicle for the price. This car has good interior room, with easy folding rear seats. The performance is excellent, especially in the manual with the short throw shifter. The fuel economy is a little less than what I expected, but the range on the tank is not good. I only get about 19-20 MPG with a range of just less than 300 miles. The AWD is wonderful in the Midwest winters. Overall, very pleased with the car so far and would consider another Subaru in the future.

This Wagon Hauls More than Groceries...
By Adam on 12/05/05 10:19 AM (PST)

2005 Subaru Legacy Wagon 2.5 GT Limited AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Picked the car up in Dec. '05 as a new '05 model, The dealer was more than enthusiastic to unload the car (last year's model) and now I am more than enthusiastic to drive the car like it was meant to be driven. Power from the turbo-4 is more seamless than any turbo I've driven before. The engine is almost too quiet -- I've stalled it a couple of times because I can't hear the engine. As for fuel economy concerns, they are simply a matter of right foot activity. Lay off the accelerator, and it will give you 30mpg plus in highway driving. But where's the fun in that?

Hate this car
By KC on 09/14/05 09:43 AM (PDT)

2005 Subaru Legacy Wagon 2.5 GT Limited AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I got this car as an alternative to a "real" car because it was a practical alternative to a gas guzzling SUV or a more expensive Audi or BMW. I thought I needed the wagon for my lifestyle, but I wish I'd bitten the bullet and just went for an Audi, got a bike rack and drove on down the road. This car is NOT fun to drive, although it sounded good on paper.

The Wagon That Will Beat Your Pants Off
By DKNY on 07/04/05 20:02 PM (PDT)

2005 Subaru Legacy Wagon 2.5 GT Limited AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

The GT is a great vehicle in many ways. It's fun to drive, practical, reasonably sized and sensibly priced. Subaru reliability is excellent (I previously owned an Impreza). After 3 months and 9,000 miles driven I still enjoy my car, only occasionally thinking about the Audi A4 Avant 2.0T 6M that I passed up. The Legacy is faster, roomier, more reliable and less expensive. However, the Legacy does lack some standard and optional features that I would like in a car (which are available on the A4 and the Volvo V50): xenon headlights, vehicle stability control, satellite radio, MP3 capability, adaptive cruise control, headlight washers, full size spare tire, seat/mirror memory are all N/A.

Good enough
By ckc on 05/24/05 22:48 PM (PDT)

2005 Subaru Legacy Wagon 2.5 GT Limited AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

This car replaced my 01 Audi S4 Avant. I didn't miss it anymore. This is a very good driver's car. Great utility. Good stereo with power sub. Shifting could be smoother, but the Short shifter is great. Several service related problems: low steering and gear oil noted within the first month of driving, malfunction cruise control that dealer can't fix until another dealer changed the O2 sensor. (I complained to manufacturer). Battery leak led to corrosion of the bracket; dealer replaced the battery.