Used 2005 Subaru Legacy Wagon Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Subaru Legacy - Consumer Reviews

2005 Subaru Legacy Wagon

View reviews for a specific Legacy model:

Great Car
By belaircarguy

2005 Subaru Legacy Wagon 2.5 GT Limited AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

Great Car! Bought a 2005 Legacy GT Limited Wagon for my college daughter. 100,000 miles on it, but was well cared for by an adult owner. Interior looks new, and paint is flawless. Turbo engine is powerful and car is fun to drive. Built quality of a Subaru is second to none. Overall, could not be happier. Did know that at this mileage I would need to replace the timing belt/water pump/drive belts and also needs new spark plugs. Cannot complain, as this is normal maintenance items.

Favorite Features

Beautiful blue paint, which is still shining and without chips etc. Powerful engine with the turbo. What a hoot to drive? Camaros and Mustangs look out for my Subie wagon at the stop lights!

Suggested Improvements

Being a 2005, the radio does not have bluetooth or a plug for the iPhone / iPod, but I ordered a radio transmitter that is easy to use, allows bluetooth phone calls as well as streams from your iPod or iPhone (songs, Pandora etc). For $40.00 fixed the problem and my daughter is happy (her car for college). Definitely won't be my last Subaru!

2005 Legacy GT wagon
By mikexray

2005 Subaru Legacy Wagon 2.5 GT AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I bought this car used with 86000 miles, now has 96000 miles.The cars only issue is a whining noise from the engine that I hear only when it is cold.This noise goes away after about 3-4 min of warm up.I live in Montana where there are serious long distance stretches of open highways and I just love the way this car holds the road it feels almost as if its on rails but still rides comfortable.The 250 hp engine really gives it up when you need it.The manual transmission is such a perfect match to the engine that turbo lag is never an issue.After 4 1/2 months I still love it every time I get behind the wheel.Now winter is here and the car is proving its all weather capabilities in the snow.

Favorite Features

250 hp turbo charged engine,smooth shifting perfectly matched transmission,dual mass flywheel that dampens out clutch chatter,road holding abilities,big brakes for great stopping power,snow and ice capabilities(with dedicated snow tires),comfortable seating.

Suggested Improvements

Needs HID headlights,a more durable coating on the inside door handles,not so sensitive remote(activates while with just the natural pressure of being in a pocket).Don't lose your spare key a replacement from the dealer is $160.

05 GT Wagon
By whitehe9

2005 Subaru Legacy Wagon 2.5 GT Limited AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

This is the most performance for the $ you can possibly have on 4 wheels. Read the reviews - said about that. However, the 05 model and possibly others has a major problem with turbo failure, which is not the fault of the turbo but a design failure by Subaru. This is fact and other buyers and independent mechanics agree - read forums. This a $3000 repair by the dealer but you can usually find used or aftermarket turbos for $500 and have a mechanic install it but it is likely to fail again without modificaitons to the oil tubing. Bottom line is change your oil often <3000mi and buy a spare turbocharger. Out of 115,000miles, this is my only complaint (failure just outside 60k warranty period)

Favorite Features

FAST & FUN on all surfaces, dry, wet, and even more fun in the snow!!!!

Suggested Improvements

Create a fail safe to protect the turbo.

Good, but not Great
By havertownrider

2005 Subaru Legacy Wagon 2.5i AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

We bought this car used in 2008. I negotiated the full warranty for a new car, 6 yrs and 100,000 miles, it expired in in october 2010 and soon after our transmission fluid and oil covers both leaked. Cost $500 to fix. It has been solid, but not what we expected. It is our first subaru and we are hoping to get 150K miles out of it. We bought with 45K and now have 75K. A few other nuiances are breaking down too but nothing major. I hope this last repair shop visit will last.

Favorite Features

Cool interior, great miles per gallon. drives well

Suggested Improvements

more legroom in the back seat, standard roof rack.

Lemon
By D&C

2005 Subaru Legacy Wagon 2.5 GT AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

We look around for a new car fro almost 4 months before we both the gt. We have know 158,000 km on the car and have replaced 4 turbo's and are on our 3 engine. At 120,000 we had a the last turbo replace and then moved again. 18,000 km later the engine had a broken piston and needed to be rebuild once again. Phoned Subaru Canada they told us that they could see that we had a lot of bad luck with the car as all records are kept on there computers. But because we moved and lost our maintenance records and only could show them the records for the service work that we did after the new turbo was put in they did not help us. We have had rebuild but are not trusting the car any more and traded in.

Favorite Features

The handling and driving,looks. But we will never buy a other Subaru again as the service of Subaru Canada is terrible and they have no respect for their costumer.

Suggested Improvements

May be their for the people that trust in your cars. Never again a Subaru! Had to trade it in and take our loss as we have no more trust in Subaru.