2005 Subaru Legacy Wagon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Legacy model:
Great Car
By belaircarguy on 02/18/14 16:47 PM (PST)

2005 Subaru Legacy Wagon 2.5 GT Limited AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

Great Car! Bought a 2005 Legacy GT Limited Wagon for my college daughter. 100,000 miles on it, but was well cared for by an adult owner. Interior looks new, and paint is flawless. Turbo engine is powerful and car is fun to drive. Built quality of a Subaru is second to none. Overall, could not be happier. Did know that at this mileage I would need to replace the timing belt/water pump/drive belts and also needs new spark plugs. Cannot complain, as this is normal maintenance items.

2005 Legacy GT wagon
By mikexray on 11/20/11 19:42 PM (PST)

2005 Subaru Legacy Wagon 2.5 GT AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I bought this car used with 86000 miles, now has 96000 miles.The cars only issue is a whining noise from the engine that I hear only when it is cold.This noise goes away after about 3-4 min of warm up.I live in Montana where there are serious long distance stretches of open highways and I just love the way this car holds the road it feels almost as if its on rails but still rides comfortable.The 250 hp engine really gives it up when you need it.The manual transmission is such a perfect match to the engine that turbo lag is never an issue.After 4 1/2 months I still love it every time I get behind the wheel.Now winter is here and the car is proving its all weather capabilities in the snow.

05 GT Wagon
By whitehe9 on 06/28/11 10:03 AM (PDT)

2005 Subaru Legacy Wagon 2.5 GT Limited AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

This is the most performance for the $ you can possibly have on 4 wheels. Read the reviews - said about that. However, the 05 model and possibly others has a major problem with turbo failure, which is not the fault of the turbo but a design failure by Subaru. This is fact and other buyers and independent mechanics agree - read forums. This a $3000 repair by the dealer but you can usually find used or aftermarket turbos for $500 and have a mechanic install it but it is likely to fail again without modificaitons to the oil tubing. Bottom line is change your oil often <3000mi and buy a spare turbocharger. Out of 115,000miles, this is my only complaint (failure just outside 60k warranty period)

Good, but not Great
By havertownrider on 02/27/11 17:34 PM (PST)

2005 Subaru Legacy Wagon 2.5i AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

We bought this car used in 2008. I negotiated the full warranty for a new car, 6 yrs and 100,000 miles, it expired in in october 2010 and soon after our transmission fluid and oil covers both leaked. Cost $500 to fix. It has been solid, but not what we expected. It is our first subaru and we are hoping to get 150K miles out of it. We bought with 45K and now have 75K. A few other nuiances are breaking down too but nothing major. I hope this last repair shop visit will last.

Lemon
By D&C on 10/11/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2005 Subaru Legacy Wagon 2.5 GT AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

We look around for a new car fro almost 4 months before we both the gt. We have know 158,000 km on the car and have replaced 4 turbo's and are on our 3 engine. At 120,000 we had a the last turbo replace and then moved again. 18,000 km later the engine had a broken piston and needed to be rebuild once again. Phoned Subaru Canada they told us that they could see that we had a lot of bad luck with the car as all records are kept on there computers. But because we moved and lost our maintenance records and only could show them the records for the service work that we did after the new turbo was put in they did not help us. We have had rebuild but are not trusting the car any more and traded in.

Goes Like Stink
By Nick-O on 02/12/10 15:38 PM (PST)

2005 Subaru Legacy Wagon 2.5i Limited AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

This is a nice car, safe, big and heavy, but it's fast. The 2.5 turbo is probably one of the top 10 engines out there. If you step on it hard, it takes a second then hold on! Passes anything on the highway and goes anywhere you want it to. It's a subaru so it is reliable. The only issue is now it makes a loud humming noise past 35 mph. Maybe a wheel bearing. The mileage is not good...maybe 15 around town :(But hey, it's a big heavy AWD car with 250 hp.

One hot car
By CAinAL on 08/21/07 17:47 PM (PDT)

2005 Subaru Legacy Wagon 2.5i Limited AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my Sub after seeing so many in the mountains of California. I now live in Alabama and I love driving it all year round, but it is definitely a cold weather car! The vents blow warm air so I have to keep the AC on all the time in the spring, summer and fall. The AC has a hard time keeping up with the 100+ degree weather and high humidity. But it handles great in the torrential downpours we get here and I wouldn't trade it.

WOW
By Idawg on 07/26/07 07:21 AM (PDT)

2005 Subaru Legacy Wagon 2.5 GT Limited AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

This is my 3rd Subaru, and is by far the best to date. I had a 96 outback, then a 2004 Outback 2.5 limited, but this car blows them away. The turbo kicks in quickly, and will give you the tell-tale neck jerk! The interior is such a beautiful hole poked tan leather, you want it at home. I was never a fan of blue cars, but the regal blue looks great with the 17" wheels and lo-pro tires. Huge sunroof! Buy one!!

Almost perfect
By newyorker on 07/21/07 07:15 AM (PDT)

2005 Subaru Legacy Wagon 2.5 GT AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Almost a year and a half and zero problems. Fast and fun. My second subie, my first turbo. This is not your typical wagon, that's for sure. Handles great, even in winter months. The Bridgestone re92 stock tires are all right - nothing great yet decent all around. Rarely have anyone in back seats so cannot comment on leg room. Dash layout is great and good looking. Tons of room. Can put just about anything in this car. The ride can be a little rough for someone with a bad back on longer trips but it's a GT and is supposed to have a stiff suspension so you cannot complain about things like that. All around A++.

2005 Legacy GT Wagon
By DC on 02/20/07 11:25 AM (PST)

2005 Subaru Legacy Wagon 2.5 GT AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Awesome driver's car! Very quick, stable and predictable. Drives like a sports car. Great heater. 100% reliable so far with 20K miles. Excellent in snow, we had 3 feet in one snowfall last week, and with a 400' driveway it has to be good. Be aware that the 17" tires are fairly expensive and if you need extra wheels for snow tires, you will have to get alloys. No steel wheels available as far as I could tell, and I tried locally and on-line. Very comfortable seats. Mine was a program car with 12,000 miles on it when I bought it and now has 20,000 miles on it. No one will regret buying this car. It does everything very well and I know of no weaknesses except rear visibility.