2005 Subaru Legacy 2.5 GT Limited Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Subaru Legacy - Consumer Reviews

2005 Legacy Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Legacy model:

Sort Reviews by

Run Far away from this car
By tag4575

2005 Subaru Legacy Sedan 2.5 GT Limited AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Bought mine and started out loving it. You will soon regret that thought. Wheel bearings, turbo, clutch, timing belt, interior plastics, all went to hell after only 60k miles. I replaced th tires one time and they lasted a mere 20k miles. Treated this car like a baby, only synthetic, premium gas and drove it carefully. Seems like check engine light was always on, car was in ecellent condition when I god rid of it, traded it on a new acura, I feel bad for whoever buys the piece of junk. My 2001 BMW 740 is supposed to be high matinance, but this car proved that wrong and now I appriciate my BMW way more. Very dissapointed in Subaru, my $57,000 acura is less to insure than this thing too.

Favorite Features

Power, 5-speed.

Suggested Improvements

Hopefully the new generation of LGT is reliable.

One of the Best Used Car to Buy
By Wong

2005 Subaru Legacy Sedan 2.5 GT Limited AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I bought this car used in 2009. Now has 76,000 miles. Now, 5 years later the car runs just like new sill. The paint isn't the best but every car now has bad paint. There is only one rattle but only comes once in a long time other wise everyday its quiet. Some people complain about wind noise because of frame less window but I don't hear and I know there is no wind noise unless its 30 mph winds but even cars with framed windows will here that. Seats are comfortable for shorter trips. It doesn't have all the new toys that 2010 cars now have but you don't need it. Like back-up camera, gps, mp3, push start etc. If you can drive without the new toys this is a good car to buy with awd standard

Favorite Features

It' a Subaru. manual transmission, Don't see one every time you go somewhere, turbo engine, frame less window, interior styling, seats, pretty much everything

Suggested Improvements

The paint quality is to easy to scratch. Have a auto window up. Have hid headlights standard. Design soda or cup holders not mug holders I don't drink coffee. My soda slides everywhere because if that design

Recent reviews have been wonky
By Henry

2005 Subaru Legacy Sedan 2.5 GT Limited AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

It's as if other companies are trying to artificially bring down the rating so I felt compelled to give this car a proper review - throughout the last 5 years, it has repeatedly proven itself as a solid, reliable, and fast car at a steal of a price. There is no way around it.

Favorite Features

Great for cruising around, but also has the proper preparations when the weather goes to crap. Roomy, safe, doesn't break down like its Euro counterparts, and has a nice turbo kick when you need it. One of the better looking Subaru's.

Suggested Improvements

Gas mileage is meh. Also, I wish the iPod was invented a few years earlier - there's no auxiliary port.

Great Car with Needs
By OK driver

2005 Subaru Legacy Sedan 2.5 GT Limited AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Bought my 05 Legacy GT limited about 5 months ago. I have owned/driven many different make/model cars including Subaru's. This one is a great improvement in terms of looks / performance / amenities compared to older versions. Subaru has been very smart to replace Volvo and Saab, and also sell cars right under the noses of Toyota/Honda/Nissan (Sad, the other 3 brands are suffering from declining quality. I wish made in the U.S. meant the same thing it did 30 years ago. My gripes: As new, it is overpriced. Still, reliability/build quality is below other Japanese cars. Cutting corners in interior / mechanical / material quality is stupid. People are not dumb.

Favorite Features

power/performance/comfort convenience/safety options stereo system looks interior/trunk space cold weather amenities (there are many) headlight illumination inexpensive parts/maintenance

Suggested Improvements

use better parts and options brakes (feeling and stopping distance. my 97 camry ce v6 stopped on a dime) occasional rattles coming from the dashboard road noise/insulation

Great Car. But some issues.
By Brian

2005 Subaru Legacy Sedan 2.5 GT Limited AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

My wife and I have owned this Scoobie for 4 years next month. While we love the car and truly love Subarus this car has had some annoying issues that the dealers can't seem to fix. Our car has been in three times for an annoying rattle in the dash. It apparently disappears when the service techs look at it (rolling eyes). The front brakes squeal when the ambient temperature is above 60 outside. I've replaced everything and they still squeak. Oh, the clutch went out at 38000. My wife and I know how to drive stick well and do not abuse the car. But this one let go at a very young age. Kudos to Subaru though for not stiffing us with the whole $1100 bill.

Favorite Features

Love that turbo. Exterior design looks really sharp!!

Suggested Improvements

Seat memory would be nice. Needs a six-speed gear box. Rpm too high in fifth gear. Should have waited and got an '06 spec "b". Note to S.O.A.: Fix the design flaw in the dash causing this rattle problem.

Great Car - but stumped the expert
By Jeff Lampe

2005 Subaru Legacy Sedan 2.5 GT Limited AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I have had the Subaru GT Ltd for about 9 months. I absolutely love this car, it fits me like a glove and drives like no other car I have ever had. It is classic, conservative, but with an attitude that I can turn on with a little pressure on the gas. I blow the doors off the hot little Hondas and German cars. The handling is tight and I love cruising around in it. However, things came crashing down after taking it thru a car wash. The ECU, bulkhead wire harness, integrated unit have been replaced and who knows what else is needed, certainly not the dealers or the Subaru expert knows why it will not start, or not run for more than 30 min. It has been in the shop for the past 9 weeks.

Favorite Features

Turbo charged 4 cyl boxer, love the growl and the power. Handling is tight and responsive with the right tires (no the stock tires). Leather interior is very rich and the sound system is supurb. Manual 5 speed transmission is a must for the full driving experience.

Suggested Improvements

Something has got to be wrong with the fuel/electrical system if when the car stalls in the car wash (nothing unusual was done - like spraying under the hood) and not starting. The diagnostics for trouble shooting leave much to be desired. 9 weeks in the shop is not good for a car this costly.

Goes like stink!
By White Devil Subie

2005 Subaru Legacy Sedan 2.5 GT Limited AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I bought this car after owning two Acuras (1998 CL and 2002 TL). I like quality, safe, reliable but high performance cars. This Subie has been the best car I have ever owned. It is also a very stealth mobile in that hardly anyone recognizes what this car is and what it can do. It gets decent mileage for what it is (a high performance car). It so fun to drive and is sure-footed in the snow and ice in Kansas City. It climbed up a serious incline on 14th Street in KC during a major ice snow without hesitation while all the other drivers were spinning their tires. My advice if you live in a snowy or icy area in the winter is to have two sets of tires (the stock Potenzas and good snow/ice tires).

Favorite Features

Quick car with very impressive acceleration; it's the WTX for grownups. Good handling with AWD. Interior quality and design are great. Good sound system when you add the subwoofer.

Suggested Improvements

Tires. The Potenzas are like ice skates in snow and ice.

Amazing Car
By NHLGT

2005 Subaru Legacy Sedan 2.5 GT Limited AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

This car is roomy, comfortable, has awesome options, accelerates well, has great power no matter where you are, is great in the snow, gets respectable gas mpg, looks so good, the dealer service has been amazing. Nothing is wrong with this car.

Favorite Features

Exterior styling, how secure it feels in corners, engine response, gauges.

Suggested Improvements

Steering wheel mounted audio controls, which they have in the new ones, I just wish they were availble in 05.

New to me Subie
By Ron

2005 Subaru Legacy Sedan 2.5 GT Limited AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I just bought my 05 Legacy GT Limited used. So far it is an amazing car. It's much more fun to drive than my previous car (98 Honda Accord 4cyl). The AWD really inspires confidence when taking corners and all-around driving.

Favorite Features

Turbo. The turbo is like a super-magic-fun present at 3k rpms. It brings the car's wild side out for some fun.

Suggested Improvements

Interior space. The car is about the size of my previous accord, but the interior room is much less. Also, having the HVAC and CD/radio integrated into one unit basically kills any chance of aftermarket stereos.

Disappointing
By mike

2005 Subaru Legacy Sedan 2.5 GT Limited AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

This is our 2nd Subaru. Our first Subaru was a tank, we loved it, 100K+ and never had a problem. Unfortunately that was not the case with this car. 30k+ should yield better build quality and better service. Dash rattles and the dealer and Subaru will do nothing. The radio has been replaced twice and still does not work correctly. The homelink mirror failed. The gauge illumination changes by itself. Cruise control fails regularly and the dealership(s) can't find anything. This car could be so much better but now that it is has 39000 miles on it and is out of warranty we are getting rid of it. I don't thing we will ever buy anothe Subaru.

Favorite Features

Quick sedan.

Suggested Improvements

QUALITY!