Used 2005 Subaru Legacy 2.5i Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Subaru Legacy Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Legacy model:

my subie
By my subie

2005 Subaru Legacy Sedan 2.5i AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Great car. When you step on the gas it takes a second to go then it takes off. The seats though can be more roomier and needs more leg room in the back. Never had mechanical issues. Love the all wheel drive it is great in the snow!

The all wheel drive, information center, styling

more comfortable seats, add power seats as standard,more leg room in back seat.

Stand out of the crowd!
By Incubus

2005 Subaru Legacy Sedan 2.5i AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I wasn't really looking for a Subaru, altough I always liked the style; but I test drove one at a dealer almost by coincidence and that was it. I did what you are not supposed to: fall in love with the car. If you want to stand out of the crowd using regular and common Camrys, Accords, and Altimas, this is the car for you. Fun to drive, excellent handling, sporty style, and the AWD is excellent for my city where we get a lot of snow. A little bit small interior for big guys (I'm 6' and I don't have much room left). I'm impressed with the mpg given the AWD capabilities. Now I understand why some people say "once you get into a Subaru, you'll never leave".

Sporty, unique style, japanese reliability, excellent handling and ride, nice interiors.

More interior space (use some trunk space for next design), radio is way below average compared with same class competitors, "weird" sound of the boxer engine (it souns almost like a small diesel truck when is cold), stability control should be standard in all models.

Ok car overall but amazing in the snow.
By Craig

2005 Subaru Legacy Sedan 2.5i AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

If you are some one who needs a solid commuter car and deals with a lot of bad weather look no further. The car's boxer engine does a great job when you pass someone on the highway. What really is a disappointment is the low end torque, it is non existent. If you are like me and need that torque to get up to speed quickly on the highway with short on ramps then this is not the car for you. Even in a manual it struggles. Passing traffic amazing but no torque. Gas mileage is excellent and the all wheel drive can handle almost anything. Headlights went out twice but dealer was great and replaced. What I do not get is why the backseat does not fold down. Major problem with kids.

All-wheel drive, sharp looks, excellent handling and gas mileage.

More torque and a backseat that folds down!

Oil Eater
By Oilwoes

2005 Subaru Legacy Sedan 2.5i AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Brand new car from the beginning burns oil - 1600-2400 miles/quart on average. According to the dealer, Subaru specs allow oil consumption of 1000 miles/quart before they want to fix the problem. No drips - just occasional stench of oil belching for my driving pleasure. My 1997 Outback with 80,000 miles never ate oil. Will never purchase a Subaru again.

Winterized package - especially front window deicer.

A better engine that doesn't eat oil by design. Interior plastic parts come lose easily.

Must have been built on a Monday
By kd

2005 Subaru Legacy Sedan 2.5i AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

This car is fun to drive. Have had quite a bit of trouble with little things. Had the check engine light come on in the first 1000 miles of driving. Well, if any of you have had this problem you know that the cruise control does not work. Not good for long trips. Fuel pump went bad. In the shop three times for cruise issues. Do a lot of travel and not having cruise stinks. Had to adjust drivers window due to high pitch noise. Would not buy these high priced cars again. Does not hold value very much like other cars.

Handling and smooth ride. The rumble of the little motor makes it sound bigger than what it is. The power of the little motor with the 5 speed manual tranny.

Subaru is known for reliability. Maybe I got the one out of ten that is a mechanical nightmare. Just need to fix a problem the first time and not 10 or 12 times later. Would not buy any Subaru again after I get rid of this one.