2005 Subaru Legacy Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Legacy model:
my subie
By my subie on 09/08/08 20:18 PM (PDT)

2005 Subaru Legacy Sedan 2.5i AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Great car. When you step on the gas it takes a second to go then it takes off. The seats though can be more roomier and needs more leg room in the back. Never had mechanical issues. Love the all wheel drive it is great in the snow!

Stand out of the crowd!
By Incubus on 03/26/08 18:41 PM (PDT)

2005 Subaru Legacy Sedan 2.5i AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I wasn't really looking for a Subaru, altough I always liked the style; but I test drove one at a dealer almost by coincidence and that was it. I did what you are not supposed to: fall in love with the car. If you want to stand out of the crowd using regular and common Camrys, Accords, and Altimas, this is the car for you. Fun to drive, excellent handling, sporty style, and the AWD is excellent for my city where we get a lot of snow. A little bit small interior for big guys (I'm 6' and I don't have much room left). I'm impressed with the mpg given the AWD capabilities. Now I understand why some people say "once you get into a Subaru, you'll never leave".

Ok car overall but amazing in the snow.
By Craig on 11/19/07 11:40 AM (PST)

2005 Subaru Legacy Sedan 2.5i AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

If you are some one who needs a solid commuter car and deals with a lot of bad weather look no further. The car's boxer engine does a great job when you pass someone on the highway. What really is a disappointment is the low end torque, it is non existent. If you are like me and need that torque to get up to speed quickly on the highway with short on ramps then this is not the car for you. Even in a manual it struggles. Passing traffic amazing but no torque. Gas mileage is excellent and the all wheel drive can handle almost anything. Headlights went out twice but dealer was great and replaced. What I do not get is why the backseat does not fold down. Major problem with kids.

Oil Eater
By Oilwoes on 08/08/06 16:56 PM (PDT)

2005 Subaru Legacy Sedan 2.5i AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Brand new car from the beginning burns oil - 1600-2400 miles/quart on average. According to the dealer, Subaru specs allow oil consumption of 1000 miles/quart before they want to fix the problem. No drips - just occasional stench of oil belching for my driving pleasure. My 1997 Outback with 80,000 miles never ate oil. Will never purchase a Subaru again.

Must have been built on a Monday
By kd on 11/17/05 10:00 AM (PST)

2005 Subaru Legacy Sedan 2.5i AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

This car is fun to drive. Have had quite a bit of trouble with little things. Had the check engine light come on in the first 1000 miles of driving. Well, if any of you have had this problem you know that the cruise control does not work. Not good for long trips. Fuel pump went bad. In the shop three times for cruise issues. Do a lot of travel and not having cruise stinks. Had to adjust drivers window due to high pitch noise. Would not buy these high priced cars again. Does not hold value very much like other cars.

once you owned one
By sherry on 08/17/05 02:02 AM (PDT)

2005 Subaru Legacy Sedan 2.5i AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I have had great experience with my subaru's I feel VERY comfortable, and/confident with the handleing and performance of these cars. I had a 96 subaru, traded it for the 2005 I never had any problems during the time with the 96. Was never in the shop for anything!! Maintenance Free, other than 3,ooo mi.oil changes and I did have the timing belts changes @60,000 for maintenance, it was a gem! So I knew that my new car was going to be another Subaru

What a car
By GunnMan on 06/30/05 18:00 PM (PDT)

2005 Subaru Legacy Sedan 2.5i AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

For years I had a Porsche 944. It got old and had 245,000 miles. Time to go. This Legacy drives very similar to the 944 in the mountains. You can set this car up in the corners very well. It's transient response in the switchbacks is remarkable - and this is a sedan! In tight hilly switchbacks - you can feel the car transitioning power front and rear. Do I have to complain? It could use a 6 speed. I'd buy this car all over again.

Great Value
By snscat on 03/30/05 12:26 PM (PST)

2005 Subaru Legacy Sedan 2.5i AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Just purchased several days ago so here are my first impressions. It has a surprising amount of power for a four cylinder. The manual transmission feels easier to shift than the Impreza. The seats are very adjustable and comfortable. The stereo is pretty good for a factory unit with no upgrades. Mileage so far has been surprisingly good. The car is very smooth and handles great. Quiet ride even at highway speeds. The sound of the engine takes a little getting used to, but it grows on you. The trunk is pretty large and has a pass through for narrow objects. The car features a full assortment of airbags. In all, this is a great car with a lot of nice features for a reasonable price.

Like a 944
By GMan-Alpine on 03/23/05 12:48 PM (PST)

2005 Subaru Legacy Sedan 2.5i AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

This thing is not the most powerful in straight line acceleration - but it's not bad. Where this car shines is in a few areas. It handles like a 944 - with the IRS and rear wheel drive, you can set the car up. It's comfortable - the wife likes it. It's a looker. I'm glad I stopped by and looked at Subaru. I was going to get a Mazda.

Fun fun fun
By Andre Lachapelle on 12/08/04 09:49 AM (PST)

2005 Subaru Legacy Sedan 2.5i AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Winter is coming and the pleasure keep growing . It is my first AWD and Subaru . I had a Infinity G-20 before . It was more luxury but this one is quiet and very fun to drive . Engine has a pretty sound and is quick enough . The pick up is good at any speed with manual transmission . Good supprise without the turbo and the gazoline ( no super ) cost . On icy road , i had fun fun fun . It is a winner .